• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Squirrel season in two days but...

Kentucky
SQUIRREL-SPRINGHuntingTrapping
May 18 - June 21, 2024 (Shooting Hours are 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset. Hunters may be in the field before and after shooting hours.) Trapping squirrels during the spring season or hunting squirrels at any time with blowguns is prohibited.
SQUIRREL-FALLHuntingTrapping
Aug. 17 - Nov. 8 and Nov. 11, 2024 - Feb. 28, 2025One-half hour before sunrise Nov. 11, 2024 - Feb. 28, 2025

BAG LIMITS​

• Daily limit is 6; the possession limit is 12.

I've been doing some scouting but am finding very few squirrels this year in central Missouri. Anyone else noticing a decline of squirrels?

They can be very cyclical in the big woods. Squirrel population increases over a few years and peaks, then so do the predator populations in those areas which can bring the squirrel numbers way down. The predators then move on to other areas and the cycle repeats. I've found that the only areas where numbers stay consistently high is in the areas populated by humans since that keeps the predators at bay and the food sources high. Just my experience. This may contribute to why you are seeing a decline this particular period.

Oklahoma already started!

1716510273110.png

My own personal squirrel populating in CA is darn near close to zero. Something is getting them. I know we have a few Coopers Hawks in the area, pigeons are down but still a goodly number of crows.
Same in my area. For a minute there, I thought I cleaned them out, but I don't see that many around the whole area where I live. Strange.

Reactions: Bandito
We are under attack here North of Kansas City Misery. I have suitable den trees in my yard and oaks here and lots of oaks in the yard across the street. My flower bulbs have to be replaced each or every other year. I scared one out of my strawberry patch earlier today. They love strawberries and certain produce out of the garden. Corn, they taste my crab apples. One bite out of many. DEATH TO SQUIRRELS! Be Well, Bandito.

Reactions: Newmember1958