Squirrel Hunting

They chew their way in through walls, roof, into attics, crawl spaces. They can chew on electrical wiring and burn a home down.

Nothing more annoying than a skwirrel in the walls and attic of your home. Then it's time to go full bore Caddyshack.

Trapping didn't deter them. They never touched rat traps.

But the poison that works best for me is fast flying lead pills

I know very few people having problems with Fox or Gray squirrels here in Michigan, but we have many trees for nesting. Most people I know only shoot them during Fall hunting season. For some reason black phase Gray squirrels do chew on my porch or wooden steps.

Eastern Red, Flying, and chipmunks however all go for attics or soffit. Left "unattended" they will reproduce 3-fold quick and cause a lot of damage as others have said.

That's a reason Red squirrel and chipmunk have no closed season or bag limit here.

I just got my Toyota Tundra back after a $10,000 dollar car insurance claim to replace the entire wiring harness because squirrels had chewed it up. The Toyota dealership would not repair the harness, only replace the entire engine compartment wiring harness.
While the dealership was ordering the new harness for my truck, the squirrels chewed through the wiring in my wife's car, which also had to be towed in to replace the wiring.
European countries passed laws requiring car manufacturers to make their cars more "recycling friendly". In response, many car manufacturers started using soy based wiring harnesses and wiring components. Car manufacturers want to save money on standardization, so the US cars get the same soy based wiring components. Squirrels get up into the engine compartment for warmth when it gets cold in the southern states, and find that they like the taste of the soy based wiring components.
Car manufacturers are making Millions of dollars a year because of squirrels.

I just got my Toyota Tundra back after a $10,000 dollar car insurance claim to replace the entire wiring harness because squirrels had chewed it up. The Toyota dealership would not repair the harness, only replace the entire engine compartment wiring harness.
While the dealership was ordering the new harness for my truck, the squirrels chewed through the wiring in my wife's car, which also had to be towed in to replace the wiring.
European countries passed laws requiring car manufacturers to make their cars more "recycling friendly". In response, many car manufacturers started using soy based wiring harnesses and wiring components. Car manufacturers want to save money on standardization, so the US cars get the same soy based wiring components. Squirrels get up into the engine compartment for warmth when it gets cold in the southern states, and find that they like the taste of the soy based wiring components.
Car manufacturers are making Millions of dollars a year because of squirrels.
Rats and mice are attracted to the same soy-based insulation. I’ve seen this happen on a tractor as well. By “seen” I mean I witnessed someone crank up their tractor and watched a fat rat fly off. It was then clubbed to death. It was determined that the rat chewed wires around the battery and it was actually chewing on them as he tried to start his tractor.

If you have this issue with rodents getting into your vehicles do what you can to eliminate them. It’s a good idea to look under and slam your hood(s) every now and then so that they don’t get used to feeling safe in these spaces. It’s a huge PITA! IMO this falls into the realm of pesting, not hunting.

Reactions: Bowhunter73
Rodents and wiring is a tough never ending battle. There's a few things you can do to help protect your vehicle. Leave the hood partially open. They don't like that, also a few rubber snakes placed in various places helps but you need to move their location regularly. Rags soaked with predators urin a cat or dogs will do, placed under hood and or on top of gas tank helps. But again one and done won't work for long. Predators scat also is a deterrent but the best defense I am aware of is poison. A product called just one bite comes in a wax bar placed in every nook and cranny will at least keep them from getting fat and growing old while destroying every thing. I keep it in all my vehicles, boats, tractors etc under sheds in the attic, any and everywhere a rat or squirrel might like to call home. Just be careful of pets don't allow them to get to any.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
Not sure if it was mentioned but we have had a number of power problems caused by Grey Squirrels chewing through transformer ground wires (4 x in last year and a half). Asked the power company if they couldn't do something about it and their answer was - give the neighborhood kids a pellet gun.

They chew everything as demonstrated by these electrical connectors off the last transformer wire replacement...

transformer_ground_wire.jpeg

Reactions: Bowhunter73
Not sure if it was mentioned but we have had a number of power problems caused by Grey Squirrels chewing through transformer ground wires (4 x in last year and a half). Asked the power company if they couldn't do something about it and their answer was - give the neighborhood kids a pellet gun.

They chew everything as demonstrated by these electrical connectors off the last transformer wire replacement...

View attachment 332782
I'm an electrician and can confirm this. They tear up houses all the time. I see a squirrel, I kill it if possible. They are merely a cute looking rat so people get all upset when you kill them. Yet when they see an actual rat or mouse they want it dead.

Same goes for rabbits. Awe, little fluffy I'd so cute. Yeah, little fluffy will destroy your flower garden in a hurry.

My old lady used to get on me about shooting rabbits til she realized they were eating all her lillies at night. She said go to town on them. I'm fine with that, less plants to dig up and replace, and a tasty meal to eat!