• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Squirrel hunting 22lr vs pcp

People laugh at me when I tell them Im squirrel hunting with my pellet gun. "Just take a .22" ...... or "Get out your shotgun!"
But I LOVE my PCPs for squirrels. My shotgun slings way too much lead. I'm tired of chewing on pellets myself. And it's loud. The .22 is loud as well. One shot and everything around knows something is up. But with my PCPs, they're quiet enough to not scare off game. I can stay in the same place and have multiple shots. It's as accurate as a .22lr, significantly quieter, and does all the damage I need it to. I say they're perfect for squirrels and it'll be difficult for me to NOT take a PCP squirrel hunting. I mean physically cause me pain to NOT take it.

Rimfires and air rifles both have advantages and drawbacks that can fit certain areas and situations. Noise, expense, range limitations, safety factors and even the challenge aspect. I live in Alabama and examples might be like if I chose to go hunt over in Bankhead Forest where I might need to walk long distances and possibly fire quite a few shots, well away from an air source, longer shots possible, noise not going to bother anyone and homes miles away, I would probably choose to carry my Kimber Hunter 22. It's light weight, accurate and if I needed to I could carry several hundred rounds of cartridges with me without a lot of weight to consider. Other places I might hunt closer to home could be shorter hunts, closer shots, homes in closer proximity, less shot opportunities, spookier squirrels, etc., in which case an air rifle could make more sense. Some folks just like a different challenge to spice things up a bit. There's not really a competition between firearms and air weapons for hunting and shooting, they're complementary to each other, filling roles where one might be a bit hard pressed to meet.

Having enough shots without a refill is more of a problem which would decide which PCP I took, not push me to take one of my 22 rimfires. My Prod only gets about 25 shots but even that would cover even a couple days with really good activity. But my P35-177 gives me about 100 shots and the same gun in 22 and 25 give me over 50 shots. The P35-25 would probably be my choice, it gets about 70 shots on a fill. It's regulator is lower than the 22 because it likes a lighter pellet. It doesn't have the reach of a rimfire but it will reach out as far as I want to shoot at a squirrel.

No question I prefer my PCPs. They are more accurate, lighter, quieter and just more fun to shoot. I made a custom stock for the better of my rimfires and enjoyed hunting with it before getting PCPs. Now that I have the PCPs, it sits in the gun cabinet.

I know its old thread but 22lr wins hands down.
No argument on my side just curious. What kind of squirrel hunting are you doing that gives the 22 a hands down win. A page or two back one of the ground squirrel hunters went pcp over 22lr. I figured that would be the squirrel hunting that guys would have really preferred the extra range and power of the mighty 22, but he said he kills more with his pcp.
I’ve done more squirrel hunting than anyone around me that’s of similar age (32) and only the last three years has it been done with a pcp. I can very confidently say I kill many more squirrels now than I ever thought of with a 22lr. In my woods the pellet gun gives up nothing to a 22, and has a few spots where it’s just flat out better. To me it’s just the better tool in my area.

Beau

My PCP allows hunting from one spot without disturbing the entire area. Making squirrels feel secure enough to run around is much easier when a PCP goes off compared to the bang of a .22lr. That might be different if it weren't such a hassle to own a suppressor for a PB. My .22lr has become a target gun. If I hunted on public land I would use it more.
The other issue that the PCP wins hands down for me is safety. A .22lr can go a lot farther with way more energy than a pellet ever could.

My 22lr rifles are sitting in a dual plano case and have been for 5 years lol.

Just can't match the accuracy out of my pcp rifles AND so much easier to clean.

Muzzle report is so low I've been able to shoot one squirrel who is running around the tree with a couple others and have them not even know it and stop to figure it out... thats when they get shot. Usually a 22lr means one and done and get up and move or wait 30 minutes for them to settle back down. I don't like a 5 hour hunt for 2 squirrels.

I know its old thread but 22lr wins hands down.
I’ll choose a pcp any day of the week for the accuracy and being quiet. Now if it was a shtf/survival situation then I’d choose the 22lr/wmr for all game for the power and no need for an air source

It doesn't "win" anything, just a different choice. I've out hunted my shotgun and rimfire friends and relatives for years with a Diana M34.
I agree totally hunt with what you enjoy. I hunted with trad equipment for years and it always was a challenge and loved it but now don’t hunt whitetail hardly anymore. I just lost the desire for it. I go out with a rifle and that’s about it now. I’m getting older and enjoy the small game better and calling coyotes and turkey. I am liking more and more shooting steel in prs rimfire. Unfortunately the squirrels around here aren’t as populated as where I grew just east of here 2 hours so I go back home a lot to chase them. Nothing better than slipping down a creek and waiting for some grays and fox squirrels. This is kinda off subject but I have noticed the grays are getting much more prevalent back now than reds. Growing up hunting you never saw grays where I lived but now they are everywhere. Has anyone noticed this also?

I agree totally hunt with what you enjoy. I hunted with trad equipment for years and it always was a challenge and loved it but now don’t hunt whitetail hardly anymore. I just lost the desire for it. I go out with a rifle and that’s about it now. I’m getting older and enjoy the small game better and calling coyotes and turkey. I am liking more and more shooting steel in prs rimfire. Unfortunately the squirrels around here aren’t as populated as where I grew just east of here 2 hours so I go back home a lot to chase them. Nothing better than slipping down a creek and waiting for some grays and fox squirrels. This is kinda off subject but I have noticed the grays are getting much more prevalent back now than reds. Growing up hunting you never saw grays where I lived but now they are everywhere. Has anyone noticed this also?
That's all I see anymore, haven't seen a black one in decades and reds no where near here. I think the grays adaptability to urban areas helped them grow junkers and now they're expanding outward back to the woods and overwhelming the other species.

Now has anyone ever seen a white squirrel? There is a town in Illinois called Olney, and they have the white squirrels. They're protected there, you can be fined even if you run one over! Hard to believe I know, then you realize it's Illinois and it all makes sense!

Well......Lets just say they don't suffer. 75 yards

View attachment 292387
Indeed a .17 HMR IS NOT Squirrel friendly What So ever !!

thumbnail.jpg