Squirrel hunting 22lr vs pcp

Thanks for the responses guys, I agree with everyone whose chimed in. I know we give up a little range to the mighty 22, but I never used that range in my woods. %95 of my squirrels have been within 50 yards, and most of them from under the tree. I give up nothing but power to the rimfires and us airgunners know better than anyone, it’s shot placement over knockdown power. Growing up running around with a 22 or a shotgun, a good day was seeing 3 or 4 squirrels. Now being sneaky with an Airgun I’ll see 3 or 4 in every spot I sit, plus you get more than one shot at a critter especially at extended ranges. I really think the human race has reached the pinnacle of squirrel hunting weaponry!

Here’s the most recent squirrel to succumb to the precharged!

9137BBD4-EA93-4571-AFF0-B930B75CEFE1.jpeg

Well I like both. I can hunt quite with the right ammo in 22rf and have the option of taking other game I might see that the law won't allow with my airgun. Usually now days if I'm using air it's more a low key fun outing. When I'm trying to kill all I can my dogs are at my feet and a 410 in my hand. Do what you like the way you like and try not to divide us up, in the end we are all hunters and that is all that really matters.

Reactions: moodyblues
Fuznut
What kind of squirrel dogs do you run? I always had one or more jack russels that were good squirrel dogs growing up. My first hunting dog was half jack russel, half jag terrier. Best squirrel dog I’ve ever been around, she really made it feel like we were a team. I’d give a lot to get that dog back.

Reactions: SenseiSmash
Right now running three feist. Similar in size and temperament to Russell's just a hair longer legs. It's a shame most folks today have no idea of the pure joy squirrel hunting with dogs can be. Way more productive and a lot more fun than sitting and waiting. One of the best dogs I ever had was a rat terrier crazy thing would climb like a squirrel.

I agree whole heartily, squirrel hunting with a GOOD dog/dogs is one of the most enjoyable forms of hunting. The half jag terrier would climb trees too, I was always worried she’d fall but she never did. I’ve heard and read a ton of good about the feists, not many guys running them here, mostly coon or hog dogs.

Last edited:
Nope. With my 22lr there is no scope clicking or fooling around. At 20-75 yards just hit them from the armpit forward and they fall dead instantly with a CCI mini mag. But on the flip side, when I hunt squirrels near my archery hot spots, I use an air rifle. You just can’t beat the power and how sleek a real gun is. My real guns feel like toys compared to bloated PCP’s.
Yeah, I have to agree. The only real advantage I see with an air rifle over an actual firearm is the sound level, but standard velocity .22 LR is not really that loud. Besides, a tree rat does not seem to be distracted that long over the report of a .22 rifle getting touched off. They seem to have a really short attention span.

Now squirrel hunting with dogs looks like fun. Never hunted them with dogs but seen some videos of guys hunting them with Jack Russels. It looks a lot more fast paced than posting or stalking.
It’s a whole different thing, I reckon like any dog hunting is. There’s really something to man and man’s best friend hunting together. You just can’t replicate the feeling you get watching a dog work. Seems to be one of those things that calls to you from way back in our past.

Big advantage to a pack. The dogs fan out if any one hits they all come together and work out the trail much faster than a single can. Gives the hunter a better chance to get to squirrel before it can make it to nest or den. Yes Ezana lot o fast walking interspersed with wild ass mad dashes. Don't bother hunting an area after my dogs have been through it you won't see much. Moodyblues yeah my dogs will tree anything coon, opossum , bobcat etc but won't run deer, hogs or rabbit. Having a pack helps to teach a young dog and me if one is trying to do that.

Yeah, I have to agree. The only real advantage I see with an air rifle over an actual firearm is the sound level, but standard velocity .22 LR is not really that loud. Besides, a tree rat does not seem to be distracted that long over the report of a .22 rifle getting touched off. They seem to have a really short attention span.
Some of the places I hunt squirrel I can have my limit in 30-45 minutes with a 22lr. A 12 gauge shotgun will silence the woods for a couple minutes but so will a walking dude. Airguns are definitely more challenging and clubby but that and the stealth make them fun to hunt with. My Impact is sending 32gr slugs over 1,000fps so I’m pretty flat from 27 to 55 yards. Close shots suck because the scope towers over the bore way more than my 22lr’s. So I think comparing airguns to airguns is just better than comparing them to firearms. Just not in the same league.

It’s not comparing airguns to firearms per say, it’s comparing two weapon platforms at doing a specific job. It’s more like comparing a compound bow to a longbow, they’re both doing the exact same thing just one of them has a way more kickass energy source. I love that you prefer a rimfire for really getting after it, I love all my 22s and wouldn’t give any of them up. In the public land river bottoms I hunt, I do better with an Airgun. The squirrels I hunt are pressured and the woods are thick, perfect combination for an Airgun.
I don’t think you can say an Airgun is out of its league in the squirrel woods. It may be out of its league in your squirrel woods, but in mine and a few others it’s perfectly at home. I left the question vague knowing there’s all different types of squirrel hunting, and that some guys will prefer the 22lr or 17hmr and I agree with your reasons for choosing them.
Also I hunt with a proper squirrel gun, not an impact which is awesome but resembles a hunting arm as much as a boat anchor does. Again I give up nothing but power to the 22lr. The squirrel gun I carry most handles as well, shoots as accurate, is dead silent and I can shoot up in the air in any direction. My CZ 455 is excellent in every way, but it won’t get me as many squirrels as my NP03. Not dogging on the rimfires, but to say the Airgun is out of its league is a little goofy to me.

Cannot speak to tree squirrels but ground squirrels the PCP has the edge. I used to be a high volume ground squirrel shooter with a 22 LR. You shoot and the colony goes underground. You wait for the first brave soul to come out and do it all over again. This was consistent out to about 150 yards.
This was my first year hunting them with a PCP. You could shoot one at 30-40 yards and most of the others would look around a bit and go back to feeding.
I imagine the same is true to some degree with the much smarter tree squirrels.

Its not goofy when I look at the 22lr and it shoots 1,260fps with 127fpe for 20,000+ shots without a refill and zero support equipment. I took the boat anchor last season just to see (slug hype) if the gun could put down squirrels just like a real gun. It didn’t. I wound up just carrying my P15 .25 on subsequent trips and the Hades did the same job as the slugs in a much lighter less expensive package. Just had to move all shot placement in front of the front shoulder. If I was a dedicated PCP squirrel hunter a traditional tube rifle would be nice. Maybe I’ll turn up my Zbroia Hortitsia a little and hunt with it this year. Right now it’s pellet drop is more than I want to deal with from 30-50 on quick shots at busy animals. Maybe I need to look in the squirrel gun topic and see what’s an effective setup in .22. I’ve only shot squirrels with .25’s.

It’s goofy because your conditions aren’t the same as everyone else’s. If I was comparing power you’re completely right the 22lr is in the NFL and our airguns are playing Pop Warner. I’m not comparing power at all though. I don’t remember how many ft/lbs it took to kill a squirrel in that thread a few months ago, but it was like 6 or something. I don’t even use a powerful Airgun and do great. My NP03 is usually setup for 25-30 fpe, I’ve never ran out of air on a hunt and it does the job out to 50 with zero issues. You oughta set that Kral you built up for squirrels, you built a slick looking hunting rig with that jumbo. I prefer my 22cal at 30fpe over my 25cal at 45fpe for tree squirrels.

Last edited:
Cannot speak to tree squirrels but ground squirrels the PCP has the edge. I used to be a high volume ground squirrel shooter with a 22 LR. You shoot and the colony goes underground. You wait for the first brave soul to come out and do it all over again. This was consistent out to about 150 yards.
This was my first year hunting them with a PCP. You could shoot one at 30-40 yards and most of the others would look around a bit and go back to feeding.
I imagine the same is true to some degree with the much smarter tree squirrels.
I figured the ground squirrel guys would be the ones that preferred the rimfire. You don’t have to worry about projectiles falling out of the sky and the few ground squirrel hunting expeditions I’ve been on I was able to see them from a ways and they wouldn’t let me get super close. I had a hard time with my Sheridan pumper as a kid getting within shooting range. That was in SoCal hill country without much cover.
Your experience with ground squirrels is the same as mine with tree squirrels. If I crack a 22 off it will take a half hour for the woods to settle down. With one of the airguns nothing even gets excited, I shot three squirrels feeding on hickory nuts out of the same tree one time. Shoot one and the others don’t catch on in the slightest.

Happy huntin friends!
Beau

Reactions: N2 Shooter
@Vetmx and @moodyblues I think the environment is a big factor that helps us determine which tool(s) to use for squirrel hunting. Where I live most of my squirrel hunting spots are in the timber. That is wooded areas with undergrowth and a substantial amount of vines that can impede your path and line of sight. This environment tends to call for relatively shorter shots. 10-40 yards. My Edgun Lelya .25 (30-35 fpe) or Benjamin Marauder pistol .22 (Prod producing around 18 fpe) both work.

There are creeks running through wooded areas (creek bottoms) that sometimes give me a longer line of site (where the water runs because there usually isn’t any substantial growth in the water) so I may be able to see and shoot clearly 10-60 yards out. Generally I’m not taking shots beyond 50 yards with my woods walker pellet guns. I also don’t like carrying long guns through the timber if I don’t have them stowed in a backpack because I don’t want them getting scratched up. I can move with and protect a short gun a lot easier.

Another area I have squirrel hunted has been in hardwood tree stands where oak trees dominate the timber. It’s usually a lot more open towards the ground with less undergrowth and vines which means less thickets hence a clear line of site on the ground and into the canopy. My line of sight can sometimes exceed 100 yards. The squirrels can spot me easily at a distance in this sort of area as I can them. I’ve taken my woods walkers into these areas and have had minimal success bagging a single squirrel usually. It’s tough to stalk up on squirrels in distant trees after killing one close to me. When I try walking from tree to tree without being seen or heard crunching fallen branches underfoot it takes a long time to slow walk between large trees. They can usually see me, sound off, and they will run off. From there it takes a considerable amount of time for the area to calm down. A couple places like this in my area have been hunted so the squirrels aren’t dumb and keep their distance. This is traditional rile, shotgun, and I imagine squirrel dog territory.

If I brought an airgun to a large hardwood stand it would be my Brocock Bantam Sniper HR in .25 (50-53 fpe) set up on a tripod. I have a tough enough time glassing for squirrels and keeping up with them within 50 yards so 100+ yards. Unless it’s dead quiet and I can hear them jumping from branch to branch and see the branches moving ai find it very difficult for me to keep my eye on one beyond 40-50 yards. If there are leaves in the trees they’re tough to keep track of moving through the canopy, so long shots on such small targets are uncomfortable or not possible for me. When leaves are gone I believe that you have to have a good eye, good glassing technique, and understanding of their behavior to keep up with them running through the branches in the canopy to take a long shot when they pause. A flat shooting gun (traditional hunting rifle) would be better here. Ideally catching them on the ground burying nuts or eating is the best time to shoot them at a distance in my opinion.

If where you’re hunting looks different than anything I’ve described them maybe you have more of an advantage selecting one tool over the other. I only know what works in the areas and terrains where I’ve actually hunted squirrels. Maybe you’re more experienced than hunting squirrels. Some of the threads I read, guys are limiting out with springers within an hour or two. That seems like the type of area that I haven’t encountered. I also think it speaks to a persons skill level. Personally I like using airguns. I like the challenge, low risk, quiet, and the uniqueness of them (not many people in my area use them). I don’t hunt tree squirrels with anything larger than a .25 airgun. Anything larger is not sporting to me. Although I eat them, hunting is still a sport and I enjoy the sporting aspect as well. We all have our preferences for our own reasons.

Now hunting ground squirrels is an entirely different ballgame…

And that's a key benefit that I think is not being factored in.
The crack of a .22LR can be heard a long ways off, while a moderated .22 PCP is not. And it does not alert every animal in the woods that you're hunting.
Harv24,
Agree completely. Before getting back into PCP’s I used a suppressed Tikka T1x with sub sonic Lapua ammo. It was pretty quite. Now that I’m back on the PCP train I use my .22 FX Wildcat with the FX moderator. At the permissions I have, the owners don’t even know I’m shooting.
Pretty sure the Lapua is harder hitting but my PCP shots are 45 yards max so plenty of power with the 23gn H&N slugs. With a 22LR it seems you have to wait a while for the woods to settle down where as not so much with air rifle.

Last edited:
Yes, I got hung up on power and simplicity. All the places I hunt squirrel, I could use a deer rifle if I wanted to so I wasn’t thinking about tool for the job depending on the environment so much. Big oak woods squirrel hunting is challenging with an airgun. The Kral is short but has a big belly. This topic did inspire me to try another gun in my arsenal and not be so hung up on trying to bridge the gap to a powder burner. It will make me focus on being a little more mobile and sneaky to close the distance. With a rim fire I can pick a sit down spot and never move to get my limit. That’s the direction I was trending when I started taking airguns hence the boat anchor cannon. Different approach this year.