Squirrel head vs body shot

Just got another. That's #5 today.

It's a body shot at 53 yards, but I didnt hit it right where i wanted. Back a bit from where i normally shoot at. But nevertheless he was dead on the spot. 

1538328649_2392213125bb10849f1aa76.28408365_20180930_122514.jpg

1538328598_198439575bb108168056c3.12853511_20180930_122518.jpg

Looks like you are having g a great day. Winter is coming.....

There's one more running around but he hasn't given me a safe shot.

Its rainy, drizzly, cool, and overcast today. They must like it because I never see this many squirrels in one day. Quite honestly, I thought I had already shot most all the squirrels in the area before today.

Nobody wants to take a bad shot on purpose, but the no one can take a perfect shot every time. No one likes to see animals wounded and suffering but it happens. Most of my ground squirrel shooting is when I'm pesting, trying to get rid of them on a ranch. The ranch I shoot on is infested with ground squirrels and the owner and manager want me to get rid of as many as I can. That said, when I'm "working" the ranch, I'm not too concerned with shooting them DRT and most of the time, I'll take a center mass shot. , making sure I hit them. If they flop, twitch, dance, run to the hole, so be it. I'm there to eliminate them. 

Maybe I worry too much, but from the time I was old enough to shoot a Crossman pump I was required to practice practice practice before I shot at anything living.

If I was caught wounding an animal there'd be no more hunting without a significant amount of more practicing.

These were my fathers rules, and I have to admit he wasn't a hunter, although he was very familiar with firearms, and spent a lot of time teaching me how to handle guns, and how to shoot. He just didnt hunt again after he got back from WW2.

My Uncle was who I actually learned to hunt from, and he never taught me different than my Dad had, even tho i know for a fact he wasn't at all that picky.

I suspect the rational, and ethical way to hunt is somewhere between the 2 extremes. But it's hard to change the way you were taught, especially over 50 years later.

Looks like you are having g a great day. Winter is coming.....

There's one more running around but he hasn't given me a safe shot.

Its rainy, drizzly, cool, and overcast today. They must like it because I never see this many squirrels in one day. Quite honestly, I thought I had already shot most all the squirrels in the area before today.

Sounds like heaven to me. We are at 94 degrees under cloudless skies. Can't wait for the fall season to get here.