• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Squirrel country...

We live in "Squirrel Country" up here in central oregon, and every year rack up some decent numbers....we're already re-filling our tanks !

1596072236_2036789645f22212c5d5ee9.94440466.jpg
1596072236_14611312885f22212c75e105.31449362.jpg

Thanks for the nice comments, to get to the best spots, i take my SxS buggy scouting, but living in the forest, we are always fighting off wildlife, and in the past couple seasons, we have been over triple digit dispatches just inside our fence...i usually stop squirrels and raccoons from my blind on the front deck, i'll see an occassional coyote, but we hear them howl nearby some nights, and recently a cougar ran along side our fence chasing a deer, with two Oregon Fish and Game trucks right behind them, they got out of their trucks fully armed and loaded for bear, and took out after them,...and later when i saw their flashlights coming back thru the forest, i went out to ask what they found,...nothing, so he's still out there with now several local horse attacks,... and just last week, we saw a wolf at the back gate, at first glance i didn't recognize what it was, and as i had the crosshairs right on his snout, i realized as he was standing next to the gate he was a big wolf, and federally protected...we have two nearby wolf packs up in the Diamond Lake area that are being electronically tracked, and i believe this one is a young big male ousted from the family....and later after gauging his size next to the gate, and seeing his incredible speed thru the forest, we are taking personal precautions...

1596144825_3839764735f233cb98a6479.53965932.jpg

The other evening from the front yard, my wife called out to me that something "big" was coming down one of our trees (she said maybe a small bear)...so i had her go into the house, and i set-up in my blind on the porch waiting to spot it again, night fell, and i saw something inside along the fence line, and it seemed to be moving in on me, ....when i put my scope in the general area, i saw it scurry behind one of our big Ponderosa trees, hiding it from my view, and i still wasn't sure what it was..,i kept my crosshairs on the base of the tree, ready to ID and shoot if necessary, and then i got my first glimpse, a big snout with growling teeth stuck it's head from behind the tree, and that's all i needed to pull the trigger on my FX 30 cal Bobcat, hitting the raccoon right on the noggin...but when i went to check, i discovered the biggest meanest alpha raccoon in the neighborhood, and he was mad at me for shooting him and coming after me!...i leveled the Bobcat on my hip and pulled the trigger as quick as i could and hit him square again, and he was still coming,..i stepped back out of range of his attacking claws and bite, and reloaded and shot again and stopped him, but he was still dragging himself towards me, and growling in raccoonese "i'm going to kill you"....i was carrying a large caliber holstered handgun, and humanely as possible dispatched him. The next norming we went out there and sure enough he was the local alpha, and so big i could hardly lift him by his tail, and when we saw the size of his claws and teeth, we were glad i didn't have to tangle with him in the dark....

Hi Fenian, nice shooting, and that's a good daily haul,.. we get plenty of shots in the yard, and have waves of squirrels coming at us daily, so we don't need a feeder or bait, and we usually just dispatch the destructive ones, and there are plenty of them..! There are days when we'll rack up double digits and fill a bucket, and some days when we'll only get a couple shots in the trees...yesterday my wife signed-off on a particular troublesome big grey squirrel in the yard, and i spotted him in one of our 100 ft tall trees, he was holding a pine cone in front of his face, and staring me down when i put the crosshairs on his forehead and pulled the trigger from a shouldered stance, we both heard the impact, but he used up one of his lucky stars when the pinecone took the full brunt of a 22 poly-mag round (i usually use a 30, but the 22 is so quiet for evening shots) ...example of the 30 cal poly-mag's work

!
1598112904_1612820835f4144889ba3f7.75854278.jpg