• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Squirrel Calls or Apps?

When I was a youngster in the 60's we used the little things that make toy dolls squeek. Cut up a toy doll that squeeks when you squeeze it and take out the little silver thing about the size of a nickel. Put in in your lips and blow lightly. I guess maybe it sounds like a baby squirrel in distress. I remember them often running up close enough to touch.

I use one for red squirrels..........it works great either in the woods or in a yard. I just got a "request for services" today at a private residence. I'll go there in the morning. I did check it late this afternoon and it turns out this person has about 10 bird feeders and lots of red squirrels. Being it was late there was no activity so I broke out the app on my phone and played an alarm call. Two chattered back from the trees and I got those. I shouldn't have to use it much tomorrow being they should come to the yard/feeders on their own.

It works for me anyway.

Try the Haydel distress call. I have used some version of this for years & you better be careful. I find it works real well on female fox squirrels in early Fall. It will work some on Grays, but not as effective. How I use mine is, get to a spot in the woods stay still for awhile. Get behind a tree, flap your hat against your leg , shake a small bush & blow on this call. I actually inhale/exhale. Sometimes it will locate squirrels & they will bark & disclose their location, sometimes they will run over you. It is a little unnerving when a 3 pound mother fox squirrel it running straight at you, but I have had it happen a lot. In my area it does not work now, I only use it the first 5 weeks of season, starting mid September. when I use this call I actually put a dot sight on my rifle or a set of iron sights. Cause it is hard to get a running squirrel in view of a high power scope. I mount these sights beside my scope on the base. I have no luck with any other squirrel call, just scare them off or make them more nervous than they already are.