• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Squirrel and rabbit season are almost over and my trigger finger is itchy

The wife called a halt to my squirrel killing spree about a month ago because we had enough in the freezer.
In that time the tree rats have been getting comfy again, slowly moving back into range of the house, which is driving me crazy! So crazy that my Crossman squirrel targets need a serious paint job on the KZ and reset paddles after the pummeling they've been getting.
I mentioned for the 4th time that the season was almost over and with a fresh batch of homemade BBQ sauce we should cook some squirrel up.
She said,"What do you mean it's almost over?" I explained like deer season, there is a squirrel season and it ends on 2/15. She thought I could hunt them all year.
And this is why I love my wife, she turns around and grabs 2 squirrels out of the freezer and tells me I better get out there.
As soon as it's lunchtime I'm heading out!

The wife called a halt to my squirrel killing spree about a month ago because we had enough in the freezer.
In that time the tree rats have been getting comfy again, slowly moving back into range of the house, which is driving me crazy! So crazy that my Crossman squirrel targets need a serious paint job on the KZ and reset paddles after the pummeling they've been getting.
I mentioned for the 4th time that the season was almost over and with a fresh batch of homemade BBQ sauce we should cook some squirrel up.
She said,"What do you mean it's almost over?" I explained like deer season, there is a squirrel season and it ends on 2/15. She thought I could hunt them all year.
And this is why I love my wife, she turns around and grabs 2 squirrels out of the freezer and tells me I better get out there.
As soon as it's lunchtime I'm heading out!
Gotcha a keeper🤪🤙

Reactions: qball
Does she have a sister?? Or maybe offer some classes or hints so my wife will act like this?

All I get is rolling eyes and that " your a moron" look. Lol
That's when you tell her it's way more exciting and actually takes skill vs watching the real housewives!

It'll go over well trust me!

Gotcha a keeper🤪🤙
Yes I do. I had to wait a while but it was worth it.
Does she have a sister?? Or maybe offer some classes or hints so my wife will act like this?

All I get is rolling eyes and that " your a moron" look. Lol
I'm not immune from the look. Trust me, lol. I'm just lucky she fully supports my hunting.

Even when I come home empty handed it's still a win spending time in the woods.
I'll be back out there before dawn.

Itch officially scratched. #15 I think for the season, #9 for the freezer after he ages a week.
I sat up in bed and saw him burying a nut in my yard. I quickly grabbed the gun, slid the window up, took aim, and got him in the vitals.
Had him skinned by 9am. I'll try for at least one more since we cook them 2 or 4 at a time, it's nice to have an even number.
Happy Sunday!

194BE3A7-A272-4B33-9E32-FB0ADC20F30F_1_105_c.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Man I read about popin’ squirrels and eating them but here in Colorado they‘re not big enough to try that.
I’m more than a bit envious about being able to feed yourself from the back yard, it sounds awesome.
I don’t have room in my urban jungle plot for the back drops to be safe however.

I would never eat an urban squirrel but my yard is 5 acres surrounded by another 30ish of forest and farm so I feel pretty safe eating them. I was leery they'd be good. So when I popped 2 we aged them a week then tried them and were pleasantly surprised.
I will say I prefer grey over fox but cook either low and slow and they're pretty good.
Over all I feel pretty lucky I can satisfy almost all my hunting desires at home or very close to home.

@AmosBurton I hear ya. A lot of the squirrels running around in this part of the season are the ones I call the survivors. I got out yesterday evening and saw a few. Only had a decent shot on one on the ground out at about 50 yards, hit low, and missed. I had a small woodpecker hanging and banging around distracting me. Between him and the oil field equipment it was challenging to hear well. I haven’t had much time to hunt this season, but being in the woods is still enjoyable. Get it in while you can. What did you mean by “aging” the meat? Can you post a few pics of your hunting grounds? I’m particularly interested in seeing what your woods look like.

If any of you gents ever get too many squirrels in the freezer, check in your area for any guys that trap hawks. My former supervisor trapped one immature hawk every spring and raised it, then set it free when mature. He toldme that something like 60% of hawks don’t make the first winter because hunting isn’t instinctive in them. I guess they played hooky the day momma was teaching. So he took any squirrels I had to use as training food. He really only wanted ones that were head shot so he would remove head and not have to worry about hawks ingesting lead.

@AmosBurton I hear ya. A lot of the squirrels running around in this part of the season are the ones I call the survivors. I got out yesterday evening and saw a few. Only had a decent shot on one on the ground out at about 50 yards, hit low, and missed. I had a small woodpecker hanging and banging around distracting me. Between him and the oil field equipment it was challenging to hear well. I haven’t had much time to hunt this season, but being in the woods is still enjoyable. Get it in while you can. What did you mean by “aging” the meat? Can you post a few pics of your hunting grounds? I’m particularly interested in seeing what your woods look like.
The woodpeckers around here make more noise than a squirrel. I've lost a bunch of hearing so I have a hard time finding them once I hear them bark with all the birds. Binoculars are how I win at that game.
I also have to compete with hawks when hunting. A cry from a red-shouldered hawk and squirrels seem to disappear! Kind of like when I used to use a .22lr.
I age the squirrel in the fridge for a week before freezing or cooking, it helps break down connective tissues, so they say. They're tough muscly little suckers so it seems like a good idea.
As to the woods, it mostly shag bark hickory and oak with a 40' deep valley running through.
Grey squirrel heaven on earth.

6F4CDE06-D80A-40D4-96C5-977EF07840F1_1_105_c.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Ezana4CE
@AmosBurton That looks lovely!! Yea those hawks are competitive hunters. I’ve watched a few swoop beneath the canopy while I was posted in a thicket without making a sound besides a single wing flap. They can fly like fighter pilots. Are you saying that squirrels run when hawks screech out there?

Good tip on aging the meat. I’d heard of folks doing that with beef, but thought it was for flavor or something. Glassing is almost like an art form. It helps if you are familiar with their behavior to know where to look.

@AmosBurton That looks lovely!! Yea those hawks are competitive hunters. I’ve watched a few swoop beneath the canopy while I was posted in a thicket without making a sound besides a single wing flap. They can fly like fighter pilots. Are you saying that squirrels run when hawks screech out there?

Good tip on aging the meat. I’d heard of folks doing that with beef, but thought it was for flavor or something. Glassing is almost like an art form. It helps if you are familiar with their behavior to know where to look.
Yeah hawks love to eat squirrel!
If any of you gents ever get too many squirrels in the freezer, check in your area for any guys that trap hawks. My former supervisor trapped one immature hawk every spring and raised it, then set it free when mature. He toldme that something like 60% of hawks don’t make the first winter because hunting isn’t instinctive in them. I guess they played hooky the day momma was teaching. So he took any squirrels I had to use as training food. He really only wanted ones that were head shot so he would remove head and not have to worry about hawks ingesting lead.

I'll see if I can find someone to supply like that. Thanks for the suggestion.
I'm sure my dogs would also be happy to take care of any excess.