Squirrel #9 2016

50 yards with a springer is like 1000 yards with a PCP. Impressive. 

I don't think I've ever been able to hit anything with a springer. I wasn't even able to zero a scope on the first and only springer I ever bought. It felt like the poi was completely random so there was no point in trying to aim. I immediately moved to PCP guns.

I'd like to try a decent springer at some point to see if I could hit something. 

oldspook, I feel ya @ the x-axis alignment issue. If it's merely a y-axis misalignment, there are plenty of adjustable mounts out there (e.g., FX No-Limit). But I'm ass-out with x-axis issues. (I don't have the luxury of a machine shop like you.) You'd think that there would be a thriving market for x-axis adjustable mounts, given the frequency of issues. (Maybe we should start a company!) I had the same issue with my new FX Impact .30 and my new Pulsar Digisight LRF N850 digital night-vision scope. Luckily, a re-mount did the trick, and now it's drivin' nails @ 50 yds! But I could have really been in trouble otherwise.

"marcella69"oldspook, I feel ya @ the x-axis alignment issue. If it's merely a y-axis misalignment, there are plenty of adjustable mounts out there (e.g., FX No-Limit). But I'm ass-out with x-axis issues. (I don't have the luxury of a machine shop like you.) You'd think that there would be a thriving market for x-axis adjustable mounts, given the frequency of issues. (Maybe we should start a company!) I had the same issue with my new FX Impact .30 and my new Pulsar Digisight LRF N850 digital night-vision scope. Luckily, a re-mount did the trick, and now it's drivin' nails @ 50 yds! But I could have really been in trouble otherwise.
Oh, I don't have a machine shop. I have a big vice, some hardwood blocks, and a pipe to leverage the handle of the vice to put more pressure. That's it. That and three or four hours. I probably could have got it right in less time if I had been more brave about cranking down on that vice.

"outdoorman"Were you shooting offhand or from a rest? I'm new to air gunning and guns in general. Recently got a squirrel, head shot, from 30 yards with Diana 34 .22 rws super h point pellets shooting off hand with scope. My best squirrel shot so far.
From a rest... I wouldn't even try a shot at 52 yards off hand. That model 34 is a fine rifle. You are doing well with it.

"Smaug"Nice shot, oldspook. May I ask if it was your first one?

That DOES look like a fine perch for a squirrel to have a snack, while watching the resident humans. I would have chickened out and gone for the boiler room instead, esp. since you had a magnum gun there. The scope doesn't look like a particularly long one, either.
Hi Smaug! Hope you are staying warm.

The last batch (6, 7 & 8) each of them, was sitting on that perch, link is at top of the thread. That was the longest shot I've ever made, or even tried, on game with a springer. The gun was shooting well with the pellets and I figured I had a pretty good idea of the drop for that pellet in the gun. I've chrond it with several pellets though not the Crow Magnum. That was a lucky shot and to be honest I probably should not have taken it but someone smiled upon me. I'm not sure I'd do it again but I do know the hold over for that shot 1.5 mils. Anyway thanks for the kind words.

I see you are doing well with your squirrel hunting this winter, keep them running. :)