• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Springers and sparrows

Hi guys and gals, I'm brand new to the forum. After looking around I realized I may be the only one here not packing super awesome airgun heat lol. Last year I bought the best airgun I have ever had, a Ruger Air Hawk. I have lots of other guns and have hunted everything from squirrel to Bear for the last 30 years. But, every spring when the starlings, cowbirds and European house sparrows show up I geek out on air rifles. Today after the Easter festivities, I posted up by the back door which overlooks my bird feeder. Two cups of coffee later I had tallied 6 sparrows and one female cowbird. For me, it was as exciting as archery hunting deer.

So far I've only pushed the little Ruger to about 25 yards. What kind of range can I expect from this springer? 

AirKing: I like using a quarter to signify the one inch kill zone represented on squirrels and rabbits. If you have been following Rick Eustler, he stated that the effective distance in which you can repeatedly put your pellets into a one inch circle will become the maximum effective range for that gun. My RWS 470 TH in .22 has a maximum effective range (for me) of a laser measured 61 yards. From my Bog Pod shooting sticks I have smashed numerous starlings, sparrows and grackles. Most were body hits with the occasional head shot resulting in near decapitations!

Reactions: Roachwdamost
Thanks for the Reply Hits. 61 yards would be much more than I had expected. With the dense cover of my hunting area, I can't imagine even getting shots at that range. I suppose it's time to take this thing to the range. I got it in .17 But have already realized how powerful it is. I have taken a few squirrels and a couple raccoons with it and it was no trouble at all. So the power seems fine at close range but at .17 will that power fall off out at 60yards? 

I have one of these, it was my first springer, and like you have grown to love it. It is actually residing at my Dad's house right now, hes using it and has successfully taken squirrels out of his mature oak's up to 40 yards....he told me at Easter dinner yesterday hes up to 56 :eek:. I think I've created a monster LOL

BTW, if you haven't done the locktite treatment to it, I would highly recommend it! I also used the leapers/UTG one piece scope base/rings and it has held zero for a very long time thru many shots.

Impressive. I try and stay to about 35 yards with the .177 Gamo Whisper as that is still within the 1 inch circle for me with this rifle. I have gone to a very heavy pellet, JSB .177 Exact Beast at 16.20gr to increase the fpe and slow the thing down some and a Tuna Trigger. This may be stressing the gun some but this is my knock around rifle at the back window to protect the bird feeders and relatively quiet for the backyard. I am also saving the PCP Air as I have my Compressor in an overhaul situation; so the Disco and Marauder stay in the sleeve on the rack.
The real answer to stretching out the shots with a springer is practice, practice, practice...and keep the gun bubble level when shooting. I have a tendency to unintentionally go gangster and slightly cant the rifle in the hold. This plays havoc with the shots as you get further out in yardage.