• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Springers and Pellet Weight

My airguns are all .177 caliber but I would think this pertains to all calibers in spring piston rifles. I have read at various times on various forums that shooting a pellet that is too heavy or too light can be detrimental to the health of a spring piston. It seems that it depends to a certain extent on the power level of the rifle.

Is there a table or article somewhere that talks about optimum pellet weights for a springer? I know that many folks push both the upper and lower recommendations for various reasons without regard for any potential problems that might be caused.

I am looking mainly for info on light to moderate powered springers in .117 caliber, say from 6 to 12 fpe guns. But if anyone wants to address other calibers and power levels just jump in.

I currently pretty much stick to pellets between 7 and 9 grains so I feel I am probably in a comfortable range. But I might at some point want to try something else. But I am interested more in the health and longevity of my rifles.

If you are shooting over 900 to 1000 fps I'd lower the wieght a bit. I don't think shooting light pellets is bad for the gun necessarily. It's possible that shooting alloys out of a magnum springer might be akin to dry firing and cause seal damage but I shoot all manner of pellets in mine until I find the most accurate and stick with that. One tip I can share is that for the first 200 shots I use crosman premiers and then find a premium pellet the gun likes to save money. Imo shooting jsbs for the first 100 to 200 rounds is just throwing money away. 

If you have a chronograph, get a velocity reading for a range of different pellet weights, then calculate the energy. What you’ll generally find is that energy will increase as you move up in weight and then begin tapering off again as you move into much heavier pellets.

In the range of weights where energy is highest is your indication the power plant is working happily and efficiently. It will also typically be within this range that you will find your best accuracy. Speculation is that it is because the shot cycle is least violent within this range, thus the recoil doesn’t introduce as much variability as it does with pellets which are far too light or far too heavy.

I have found in my rifles that if I shoot a very light pellet of XX grains and you will get some awesome velocity. You will probably break the sound barrier in a powerful rifle, and place a pellet somewhere downrange, you won't have accuracy. When that light pellet breaks the sounds barrier, the sonic wave causes havoc with its flight path. If you take that same rifle and shoot a much heavier pellet the reduction in velocity will translate into better accuracy, which is what allows the hunter to hit his target in the desired place for a clean kill., I hunt with a variety of pellet types in different airguns that range in power from about 600 fps to some much more powerful pushing pellets over 1200 fps. And I have found that when I am shooting a pellet at top speeds, I get better accuracy with heavy, round-nosed pellets Heavier pellets also retain there velocity downrange longer than a light one. Just the laws of physics. 

I shoot nothing except Springer's. Don't own a .177 but this is true of any caliber I suspect. 

I think nervoustrig’s post is spot on. I’d only mention pellet shape is such a complex multi variable that experimenting per barrel is still largest factor. Having said that I’ve never seen a springer well over 12FPE shoot JSB RS poorly. Same gun will shoot JSB RS accurate then suck with every other pellet but come to find out it shoots JSB Monsters well. 

Under 10.5, like Yo! Said, keep it under 10.5 range and try Nervoustrigs advice. 

Some interesting comments here. My primary interest in starting this thread is more about potentially damaging effects at both ends of the weight spectrum. But so far I have only tested pellets from 7.33 grains to 8.64 grains in my rifles.

I do have a chronograph, a Prochrono DLX with the smart phone app. And somewhat contrary to what was said above I get my highest fpe with the lightest 7.33 grain pellets that are moving along at the highest velocity. The lowest fpe I get is with the heaviest (that I have) 8.64 grain pellets. This makes sense to me since energy varies with the square of the velocity but linear with the mass.

But before I try anything heavier or lighter I want to avoid extremes that might hurt my rifles one way or another. I understand what someone said about going too light could act almost like a dry fire. I thought I remember reading that too heavy causes harsh piston bounce. But I haven't seen any guidance as to what those extremes might be based upon the rifle's power level.

You say 6-12FPE... it depends on the spring quality too. I don’t have exacts but have heard Jim Maccari recommend no heavier then 10.5s in his E3650 which is about what most guns produced will take as a spring. He stated premature breakage. He’s the expert so...

as far as light weight... is it a 6 or 12FPE gun? Either way I couldn’t see WHY you’d want to shoot less then 7gr anyway lower velocity springers do quite well with the thin skirted RWS superdomes anyway...

Actually both fpe levels, 6 and 12, are of interest. One is an HW30 and the other is a D34. The D34 has a Macari OS kit in it. And in the not too distant future I expect to have a 10 fpe rifle. And you're right I probably don't want to go below 7 grains for any. But I might at some point want to go higher than what I currently have, 8.64.

Both the D34 and the HW30 really like the H&N Finale Match Light at 7.87 grains. But I am still searching for consistency with a dome. So far H&N Sniper Mediums and RWS Super Domes show the most promise. No luck whatsoever with anything JSB. And they don't like H&N FTT's at all.

Try the Wal-Mart 7.9gr CROSMAN Premier Hollowpoints AND THE 7.4gr Pointeds (NOT the PREMIER Superpoint 7.9gr which SUCKS DONKEY...UM...ANIMAL APPENDAGES). Also the BROWN BOXED 1250 count CROSMAN Premier Domes both weights 7.9gr. and 10.5gr. Buds Gunshop under $20 when they have them in stock otherwise do a price search but AoA I PAY extra for them for their first rate customer service even after they raised their prices. Quick to ship and even inspect and test fire guns before shipping for free to ensure proper function.

Sounds pellet fussy as all get out. If you give JSB about her shot try RS. I’ve had a gun shoot jsb exacts poorly then a tune the barrel decided it liked them. 

I think I’m seeing your thinking... you’re wondering if you’ll get good accuracy and FPE with a 6FPE gun by going lighter? I’d still not see reason to go too light. Besides there will be a happy medium and it’s all relative. A 8.5gr in my gun will get higher FPE then 10.5 but then drops again if I go light. 

1593985950_19951952015f024b9e5b4ed9.70140682.jpg
Yo! I finally bought these due to your amazing marketing. 

Perhaps it's me that is too pellet fussy. Those Finale Match Lights are so consistent in both guns that I really am happy with them. JSB 7.33 and 8.44 shoot acceptably but not great and not consistently. The H&N FTT's are terrible in both guns. The only reason I am hanging on to them is I have a Diana 280 that will be coming from Hector Medina in a few weeks so I will try them in that.

Per Yo's suggestion I'll check out the local Walmart for the hollow points and look into the brown box Crosman's as well.

Some interesting comments here. My primary interest in starting this thread is more about potentially damaging effects at both ends of the weight spectrum. But so far I have only tested pellets from 7.33 grains to 8.64 grains in my rifles.

I do have a chronograph, a Prochrono DLX with the smart phone app. And somewhat contrary to what was said above I get my highest fpe with the lightest 7.33 grain pellets that are moving along at the highest velocity. The lowest fpe I get is with the heaviest (that I have) 8.64 grain pellets. This makes sense to me since energy varies with the square of the velocity but linear with the mass.

But before I try anything heavier or lighter I want to avoid extremes that might hurt my rifles one way or another. I understand what someone said about going too light could act almost like a dry fire. I thought I remember reading that too heavy causes harsh piston bounce. But I haven't seen any guidance as to what those extremes might be based upon the rifle's power level.

I've always got my best energy with light pellets as well. 

There's a lot of controversy over .22 vs .177.

My .22 HW30 with a Vortek PG2 kit pushes most mid weight 13 to 18 grain pellets over 7.5 foot pounds with velocities between 420 and 520fps at the muzzle. Above that weight the skinny, super heavy 26 grain JSB Monster Jumbo's were flying all over the place, often missing the target entirely. The best pellet is the H&N 9.56 grain FTT green. It delivers 9.6 foot pounds at 672 fps. At 40 feet it retains 7.9 foot pounds at 617 fps. I like the greens because my wife has chickens and I don't want them picking up lead pellets in the yard. The FTT greens are mighty expensive so in the garage range I generally shoot the Lead H&N FTT 14.3 delivering 8.4 foot pounds at 512 fps. I've fired a couple thousand of those, they work great.

The HW 30 can handle heavier pelliets. I think the real issue is pellet geometry.