Springer

"Comprende"? Arrogant a little? Live how you want, I'll do the same. Understand?????

No arrogance ! I just felt the need to address people making potential bad choices and dishing out bad advice.

Your OPINION on the entire question is worth less than nothing to me. And it was arrogant, and you know it. Just not big enough to admit it. COMPRENDE?

This is America ! We have our right to our opinions. People have the right to make bad choices. Others have the right to challenge those bad choices. Even if being called arrogant by people who stand by bad decision making.

I will go out on a limb and suggest that the sweet spot for accuracy and power is around 15 ft-lb of energy. There are a number of guns in that category. At the top end you have the TX200, HW97, and Walther LGU. In the mid range there are the Diana/RWS 34 and HW95/R9.

For power of around 20 ft-lb of energy there are the Diana 460 in .22 mentioned above, the DianaRWS 48 and the fairly new Sig ASP20.

Of course for both categories there are many other options, but those mentioned are popular right now.

Accuracy means different things to different people. Some are delighted to be able to hit a quarter at 20 yards, others expect the same at 50 yards. Achieving the first objective with a springer can be done with a decent gun and scope plus a little practice. Consistantly tight groups at 50 yards takes a good gun and a lot of practice.

Power is often overrated. The 15 ft-lb of energy is plenty for typical airgun quarry, especially with a springer where practical accuracy limits hunting distances. Greater power does allow for flatter trajectories however, which is especially beneficial in .22 caliber.

Agree ! Most of us on AGN know our limits on the airguns we choose. Others don't.

He does not want to kill them ,he just wants them to go away! If they go away and die so be it. You would have to wound a coyote very severely for him to hang around and yelp! The yelping would not bother me at all.

Thank you.

Wayne

You doubt that a springer would create a wound categorized as " severe ". It won't have to hang around and yelp. It may linger depending upon how serious the wound. Even if it takes off yelping your neighbors will come out to find out what's going on. You may not care about the yelping but you did express concerns about the neighbors. Why would you worry about the neighbors seeing a dead coyote but express no concern about neighbors hearing a wounded animal coming from your yard. That makes no sense to me ! The tree huggers you mention will call the cops on you as sure as I'm typing this if a screaming wounded animal comes out of your yard. Why not just get a Red Ryder BB gun and shoot it in the hinds to scare it off ? Save yourself some legal troubles and give it some thought.

Recently I did almost exactly this. I got an avanti Champion to dissuade some medium sized critters, and it worked like a charm! I tried my red ryder, but i was only clipping then at most 1/2 of the time, lol

"bad decision making"

"Agree ! Most of us on AGN know our limits on the airguns we choose. Others don't."

Nope, no arrogance in that garbage at all.

I'll let others who read this bantering back and forth come up with their own conclusions. You and Wayne74 on one side of the issue. My postion the flipside of the issue.

"bad decision making"

"Agree ! Most of us on AGN know our limits on the airguns we choose. Others don't."

I'll let others who read this bantering back and forth come up to their own conclusions. You and Wayne74 on one side of the issue. My postion the flipside of the issue.

I'll place myself on your side. Either shoot to kill, or plink to warn. Everybody has their own ideas, but when I pull the trigger on an animal, it because I'm very certain the result is going to be death. For me, I wouldn't pull the trigger if I wasnt very certain of that outcome. I do understand that variables exists and outcomes are not definite, but thats my goal...

"bad decision making"

I'll let others who read this bantering back and forth come up to their own conclusions. You and Wayne74 on one side of the issue. My postion the flipside of the issue.

I'll place myself on your side. Either shoot to kill, or plink to warn. Everybody has their own ideas, but when I pull the trigger on an animal, it because I'm very certain the result is going to be death. For me, I wouldn't pull the trigger if I wasnt very certain of that outcome. I do understand that variables exists and outcomes are not definite, but thats my goal...

That pretty much sums up my thinking and position as well.

RWS 56 is a very nice accurate and powerfull springer. BTW I have seen coyote killed with a 177 springer. Head shot from 15 yards DRT, coyote was so busy looking at his chickens he didnt notice the shooter.

Of course those examples exist. Doesn't mean everyone with a .177cal M56 should take up coyote hunting. I'm just talking about the situation wayne74 is talking about. Sounds like a residential type setting where neighbors might be a issue. A wounded animal is going to get you more attention in your neighborhood than one dropped dead and no one knows about it.

For coyotes, a large caliber is needed. I assume that you something quiet as well.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Hatsan_MOD_130S_Vortex_QE_Breakbarrel_Air_Rifle/4586

Hatsan .30 caliber break barrel nitro piston - short range power - 34 foot pounds.

Other alternatives would be using a rimfire rifle with CCI CB long (primer, no gun powder & bullet - 32 foot pounds) ammo or a crossbow using bolt with broadheads.

If they are jumping his fence ,string a hot wire on top. If they start to dig under it is because he has something in his yard that is attracting them. ( dog food, bird feeder, or open trash) till that is gone he will have trouble . Best to learn to live with them,he might have to build a kennel for small dogs to over night outside. Urban coyotes are here to stay no gun of any type is going to change that.

RWS 56 is a very nice accurate and powerfull springer. BTW I have seen coyote killed with a 177 springer. Head shot from 15 yards DRT, coyote was so busy looking at his chickens he didnt notice the shooter.

Thank you for being a lone voice of rational thought in a cacophony of foolishness.

PRECISELY CORRECT

KNOW YOUR TARGET

KNOW YOUR WEAPON

KNOW YOUR INTENTION

Need I mention that there is a LOT of EPeen showing in this thread? 😁

meh

He does not want to kill them ,he just wants them to go away! If they go away and die so be it. You would have to wound a coyote very severely for him to hang around and yelp! The yelping would not bother me at all.

Thank you.

Wayne

You doubt that a springer would create a wound categorized as " severe ". It won't have to hang around and yelp. It may linger depending upon how serious the wound. Even if it takes off yelping your neighbors will come out to find out what's going on. You may not care about the yelping but you did express concerns about the neighbors. Why would you worry about the neighbors seeing a dead coyote but express no concern about neighbors hearing a wounded animal coming from your yard. That makes no sense to me ! The tree huggers you mention will call the cops on you as sure as I'm typing this if a screaming wounded animal comes out of your yard. Why not just get a Red Ryder BB gun and shoot it in the hinds to scare it off ? Save yourself some legal troubles and give it some thought.

You're absolute correct sir. I've been a hunter all my life, as I believe you may be also, and there's no excuse for simply wounding a creature and leaving it to die. You are dealing with folks who are not sportsmen here, they ain't gonna get it. To deal with a coyote, I'd personally be into a powder burner, at the minimum .22 LR, but more likely a .243 or better, and at long range, .22-250. If I'm gonna reach out to a 'yote, the least I can do is kill it cleanly. Or just don't bother.

You're absolute correct sir. I've been a hunter all my life, as I believe you may be also, and there's no excuse for simply wounding a creature and leaving it to die. You are dealing with folks who are not sportsmen here, they ain't gonna get it. To deal with a coyote, I'd personally be into a powder burner, at the minimum .22 LR, but more likely a .243 or better, and at long range, .22-250. If I'm gonna reach out to a 'yote, the least I can do is kill it cleanly. Or just don't bother.

This

I have been hunting for 64 years and I always try to make clean kills on all game animals. A coyote is not a game animal , it is a predator I don't mind wounding them at all. If the neighbors call the law over a yelping coyote I think our local law enforcement would just ignore them and if they didn't they would have one hell of a time proving it was me.

Thank you.

Wayne

I have been hunting for 64 years and I always try to make clean kills on all game animals. A coyote is not a game animal , it is a predator I don't mind wounding them at all. If the neighbors call the law over a yelping coyote I think our local law enforcement would just ignore them and if they didn't they would have one hell of a time proving it was me.

Thank you.

Wayne

What a great way to go about life ! You sir are the type that give hunters a bad name ! Sure...a coyote is a predator as you say. But I always thought they deserve that clean one shot humane kill just like that trophy buck gets. Not in your world though! I done trying convince you of anything ! Blast away !!