• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Springer versus PCP accuracy

95915773a8659e615fe762aaff87098c.jpg

​Now that I have my TX fixed up the way I want it, I thought I would pit it against my Streamline PCP using my favorite field shooting position, sitting with a pair of telescoping Stoney Point shooting sticks. Shooting distance was 50 yards. Wind was fairly steady at about 5 mph from the right, although I did get caught by a sudden reversal of wind direction on the last group. Since I could see that my wind streamer had flipped completely around, I felt justified in excluding that shot and taking one more to make up the group of five.

​The results were more or less as expected, the TX is able to shoot some outstanding groups when you are in the "groove", but just can't compete with the Streamline for consistency, at least not without a lot more practice on my part. I guess that added challenge is what makes shooting springers so much fun! Group sizes were as follows:
​TX200HC, JSB Express 1.51 0.51
​FX Streamline, JSB Exact 15.9 0.65 0.72

Chuck

Crittahitta,

​I installed a Vortek PG2-SHO kit in the TX, then gave it a simple trigger tune. The kit includes a nominal 15 ft-lb spring, and I get close to that energy with mid-weight pellets, less (14 ft-lb) with the JSB Express. This is less than the 16 ft-lb from the stock spring, but there is definitely no twang anymore, and the entire cocking and firing cycle is much smoother. I should probably experiment with heavier pellets to see if they are any easier to shoot accurately. Added pellet weight might smooth the firing cycle a bit more. I have stuck with the JSB Express just because I know they give good results out of my gun. If anybody has a pellet recommendation for a TX200HC set up for about 15 ft-lb, please chime in.

Chuck

My TX200HC with the Vortek PG2 SHO kit seems to like the H&N FTT pellets best in terms of accuracy. I don't yet have the velocity for those pellets, but based on several other 14g pellets, I expect around 14fpe. Consistent groups of 0.8" at 30 yards with a non-optimal rest. I would guess I could shave another .25" off if I use a solid rest. My rifle doesn't seem to like the JSBs.