Springer scopes (again) šŸ˜

Hey guys! I'm going to post this question again , maybe I can get some new scope suggestions.
My Gamo Shadow Maxxim and Benjamin Prowler are both scope chewing mo fos. Wonderful break barrels for the money, but yea, I've gone through about 4 scopes now, I'm done being cheap, taking gambles on scopes. What are you guys running scope wise for your springers ? I don't want to spend $300 on a Leupold or Hawke, budget is about $125-150. I'm thinking the bug buster should be ok, but I really would like an older Nikon, Bushnell, or one of the 90s model scopes that are proven to hold up to springers. I have no clue what models to look for . Any help is appreciated thank you!

If you can find a used 3-9x40 Nikon Buckmaster it will hold up. Also the parallax can be adjusted by the removal of the objective bell cap and manually adjusted to your preferred yardage.
Theres a 3x9 buckmaster on eBay right now actually, was thinking of bidding on it I think it's up to $75 or so , thanks Bear šŸ‘šŸ‘

Hawke Vantage has always held up well for me. No issues with any of my Hawke stuff on springers. If you can swing for a glass etched reticle version (can often be found for $125-$150 on DVOR), that'd be my bet. No question.

That's being said, if you're okay with a reticle as thick as a fence post and sub-optimal glass....UTG's will work too.

For my heavy recoil springers I attach a UTG drooper mount adapter from dovetail to picatinny. I then mount a UTG Scope built on the True Strength Platform. The scopes never move if the adapter is mounted correctly. After thousand and thousands of shots only one scope failed and I bought used. Highly recommend the UTG scopes with lifetime warranty.

Don't give up on the Hawke yet, just watch sales at Dvor. Last time they had Airmax scopes listed, the 3-9x40 were only $135-$145 and from just looking, they have the 3-9 currently listed for $165. It's in the Dvor Secret sale section on page 4. Bit over your budget but the extra $15 it would be worth it.
I'll also agree with Nico999. I've got several rifles that run 17-20fpe still sporting Hawke Vantage 3-9x40 AO IR scopes so the reticle is etched in the glass and they hold up better. They also have some of the different size Vantage scopes on sale in there too.

Don't give up on the Hawke yet, just watch sales at Dvor. Last time they had Airmax scopes listed, the 3-9x40 were only $135-$145 and from just looking, they have the 3-9 currently listed for $165. It's in the Dvor Secret sale section on page 4. Bit over your budget but the extra $15 it would be worth it.
I'll also agree with Nico999. I've got several rifles that run 17-20fpe still sporting Hawke Vantage 3-9x40 AO IR scopes so the reticle is etched in the glass and they hold up better. They also have some of the different size Vantage scopes on sale in there too.
Just about got me sold on the Vantage, it's a tad above budget but if it works , why not

Reactions: baranjhn
I've heard these things suck, a lot of slop and play. Any issues with that?
From reading, apparently there are a Gen 1 and Gen 2 version of the ZR mount. The Gen 1's were made in Germany and the ones that were a bit sloppy. The Gen 2's were made in China and whatever they did different, the slop is gone. I have one of the Chinese made versions and there's no side to side or up and down play in it. Jury is still out on how well it works since I'm still abusing it on the rifle I stuck it on.
Is it worth $70? Jury is still out on that one too...lol.

If your springer is a ā€œscope eating mo-foā€ donā€™t get a Hawke Vantage. They ainā€™t rated for heavy springer use.

For real cheap but tough go with a Winchester brand 3-7X32 AO scope. Clear, decent field of view, rugged, cheap.
Next Iā€™d suggest a Hammers 3-9X32 AO mil dot. A little crude but very tough.

Leapers UTG true hunter 3-9X32 AO mil dot. Not quite as crude but just as tough.

Iā€™ve found the Bugbuster to be nice and light but it doesnā€™t work on some rifles where you canā€™t position the scope far enough back to get adequate eye relief (ie Prowler).

Reactions: Sublimemoon0000
From reading, apparently there are a Gen 1 and Gen 2 version of the ZR mount. The Gen 1's were made in Germany and the ones that were a bit sloppy. The Gen 2's were made in China and whatever they did different, the slop is gone. I have one of the Chinese made versions and there's no side to side or up and down play in it. Jury is still out on how well it works since I'm still abusing it on the rifle I stuck it on.
Is it worth $70? Jury is still out on that one too...lol.
I appreciate the input. I have seen them before and watched a few videos on guys breaking them down, and re assembling with loctite and what not to fix them. It's either get one of those , and use whatever scope I want. Or just spend the money on the good air rated scope .cost wise seems like they would be about the same.

You might lose your focus on longer ranges and infinity when you do that.
I've noticed this on a couple of scopes that I changed the parallax on. Even though I don't shoot airguns at infinity or even much past 100 yards it bugs me that it's blurry. I usually change them back and put them on a more appropriate rifle.

I've noticed this on a couple of scopes that I changed the parallax on. Even though I don't shoot airguns at infinity or even much past 100 yards it bugs me that it's blurry. I usually change them back and put them on a more appropriate rifle.
I havenā€™t noticed it on my Nikon. Whether itā€™s a built in AOor done manually it appears the same to me. Just not as convenient.

I've heard these things suck, a lot of slop and play. Any issues with that?
No and yes. Have replaced one or two, but over all I am pleased with the solution. One can put a small buffer at the endings to avoid too much smack from the moving parts.

Reactions: Sublimemoon0000
If your springer is a ā€œscope eating mo-foā€ donā€™t get a Hawke Vantage. They ainā€™t rated for heavy springer use.

For real cheap but tough go with a Winchester brand 3-7X32 AO scope. Clear, decent field of view, rugged, cheap.
Next Iā€™d suggest a Hammers 3-9X32 AO mil dot. A little crude but very tough.

Leapers UTG true hunter 3-9X32 AO mil dot. Not quite as crude but just as tough.

Iā€™ve found the Bugbuster to be nice and light but it doesnā€™t work on some rifles where you canā€™t position the scope far enough back to get adequate eye relief (ie Prowler).
I didn't even consider the eye relief,good point