• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Springer <--> PVP <--> Springer

I'm really early in my airgun journey right now and am a huge fan of german and UK springers. I'm very tempted by PCPs, but don't have the knowledge and gun safe space for them yet. I'm wondering how others have made the transition from springers to PCP or vice versa. What drove you to go one way or the other? Do end up keeping both types of guns and shooting both?

It is definitely all about the journey! I have both, love both. There is something awesome about the simplicity of a springer for me. I too, am really intrigued by the beautiful wood stocked quality versions of springers you see overseas. But what I like about pcp’s is how easy they are, you just point and shoot. No arm soreness from a break barrel. And the tinkering involved with trying to get the best accuracy out of your pcp is very entertaining. They both have positives and negatives, but if I had to choose one…I would choose a really good, quality representation of a classic springer. But I wouldn’t know what my opinion would be unless I didn’t take the journey down BOTH roads.

Have and like both. Learning about both was and is part of the fun of shooting. I've bounced back and forth between both but have more springers than PCP's. Hardest part was deciding which one of either I wanted to buy when the gun fund had enough in it to consider buying a new addition.
I also own a vintage pumper and a couple CO2 pistols to round things out in the collection...lol.

My experience is very much the same as what has been posted above. I will add. My PCPs are for pesting. Super accurate, I mostly shoot rats and mice. I can get quick follow up shots if necessary. And I can mount night vision accessories to them. My average shooting distance in my yard is 20 to 30 yards. The PCPs are so accurate at that distance it’s almost boring to shoot them just for target practice. This is where the springers come in. They require a little more skill to shoot. And I actually enjoy the slower pace and the deliberate rhythm of cocking , loading , closing the barrel. Taking aim , breathing, squeezing the trigger. And repeat.
Now don’t get me wrong. I have take out a few pest with my springers and do not hesitate when giving the opportunity.
The main issue with PCPs is the upfront cost.

Same here. I started off with a couple of Gamos and the accuracy never really impressed me coming from the firearms side of things. Ended up grabbing a .22 Mrod and a .25 Dreamline Classic and was blown away, especially by the Dreamline. It was out shooting my rimfires with relative ease at 50yds and was still keeping up with them well enough at 100yds.

I had always wanted a 97K though and it being the early stages of Covid still, were rarely in stock. One day my buddy Jason sent me a text, "Yo Jon Krale has 97s in stock"...

Well, I bought it and fell in love. I now have 20 quality springers and only one PCP. I even ended up selling my Dreamline, a gun that I loved, just so I could afford yet another springer and would do it again in a heart beat.

After winning an air tank at the Arkansas shoot about four years ago I have purchased four PCP rifles, two of which I still own. These two will probably be sold soon and replaced with another springer or two. I have always liked the simplicity of the springers and really hate messing with HPA plus I worry about running out of air in the field. I am looking at an HW95 and maybe also an HW77.

Springers are easy, fun and simple - best possible way to get into the sport, and a fine way to enjoy it at any time.

PCP's are serious business, really really awesome, but come with a LOT of kit and complexity. (and with complexity comes the opportunity for problems! Of course, if you enjoy tinkering on a gun as much as you enjoy shooting, that's a GOOD thing)

The problem I personally found with PCPs is that they get boring quickly unless you're shooting 100+ yards regularly. Great hunting tools but for general plinking and smiles/pellet, not so much.

My big issue with PCPs though is the lack of choices. Everything decent has to look "tacticool" these days. Aside from AA, the Dreamline, the Crown, and some HWs, everything seems to be following the Impacts looks and bullpup style.

Reactions: Pale_Rider
PCP's need 100 yards to be enjoyed- might as well take the powder burners to the range. Springers & pumpers are fun in the back yard, which most people can find a spot 50 yards or less. Also more fun with wife or kids joining in.

The classifieds tell the big picture. I would bet that there are way more springers/pumpers out there than PCP's.... But nobody is selling those guns- only selling the PCP's.

Reactions: Hot shot
My journey with non box store airguns started with a pcp. The more I frequented the airgun forums the more I would read about springers and my curiosity grew. Finally I decided I had to have one so I traded one of my pcps for a Diana 48. You want a challenge try shooting a magnum springer lol. The artillery hold helped accuracy tremendously. Deeper into the rabbit hole I went and discovered the Diana 54, a springer with a built in artillery hold (recoilless action). Put a WTB ad and after a few days ended up with one that was professionally tuned. What a cool feeling it is to shoot a magnum springer with no recoil. I sold the 48, but the 54 is staying with me until I go up to the spirit in the sky. I could care less about the challenging aspect of springers as I get my challenge from shooting recurves. I enjoy the simplicity of just needing a rifle and a tin.

I got my first BB gun, a Daisy 99, when I was 5 years old, 52 years ago. Wore it out and both of my brothers guns too. Got a Daisy 880 when I was 9 and thought I never need more, until I got a Beeman catalog. I still have my 880 and I think one of the 99’s is still around, both in need of repair.

Springers, WOW!!!! I had to have one and bought an FWB 124 when I was 18. It was $200 dollars and the gun shop owner, a friend, thought I was nuts. Didn’t think I’d ever need a better or more powerful airgun.

Bought an RWS 48 in .177 about 10 years ago but never shot it much. Yeah it was more powerful but heavier and not as much fun to shoot so it doesn’t come out much.

Started watching Ted’s Holdover (Edgun USA at the time) and we was shooting these new fangled PCP air rifles and making shots I’d never dreamed of. Watched for a couple of years before I finally broke down and bought a Benjamin Marauder .177 and a manual pump. Oh man, I was in heaven… and hell! Heaven when I was shooting it, hell when I was pumping it back up.

Spent a lot of time inside this summer on the couch. Couldn’t do anything for 5 weeks and finally got better enough to read (a paragraph at a time) and finally start watching videos on my phone with it 8 inches from my face. Couldn’t watch TV across the room because double vision wouldn’t “allow it” but I could watch up close. Found Matt Dubber from a video he was on (Iraqiveteran8888) along with Ted Bier from Ted’s Holdover and 22 Plinkster (sorry, can’t remember his name). Anyways, Matt Dubber, from South Africa, shoots an FX Impact M3, which I’d wanted since I saw Ted’s Holdover review 5 or 6 years ago. I didn’t think I’d ever buy one because they were so much money… But after this summer I finally realized there is no Someday so I bought the Impact in .25 caliber (the .25 cal is what I’d been wanting) and a GX pump because I knew I’d get worn out pumping it with a hand pump.

I still have the springers and will shoot the FWB some but I plan on selling the RWS 48. The Marauder gets shot more now that I have the pump and the Impact gets shot A LOT! It takes about 3 minutes to recharge the Marauder and the Impact takes about 11 minutes, effortlessly! Electric pump makes a lot of difference in the ownership of a PCP, makes them much more enjoyable. My next purchase with be a large carbon fiber refill tank. Next gun purchase? I’m not making any predictions on that yet…

Reactions: Miami Airgunner
I have 5 PCPs and own no springers. I recently put a spare scope I had laying around on my son's springer, an inexpensive Crosman. Sighting it in was a chore mainly because of the trigger. So I pulled the lawyer spring, put in a long enough sear adjustment screw, and put on a bearing. Decent trigger now but I still cannot shoot it as well or as easily as my worst PCP. I can hit my 1/4 inch wide know-your-limits target most of the time at 25 yards with my PCPs but was missing the 2 inch target with my son's springer this morning. Obviously I am not a great springer shooter. I need to try the same exercise with the H&N Match pellets it likes better. The best 5 shot group I've shot with it was 5/8 inch at 25 yards. I've shot many under 1/2 inch with my PCPs, some single hole groups with my best shooter. I also noticed that the 30 yard challenge scores of the springers were significantly worse than the PCPs.

I am not wanting to pass judgement after one experience with a springer that cost half of what my scopes cost. But I am not anxious to run out an buy a springer either. I have two hand pumps, a compressor, and a tank so it is not an issue to air up my PCPs. I agree springers are simpler but I am not ready to give up the better accuracy of PCPs and I also like the easier and quicker reloading. I admire those of you who can shoot springers well but that is not me, at least at this point.

Sprngers made by Crosman, Benjamin, Hatsan, Gamo, Umarex, etc are the number one salesman of PCP rifles to date. Unfortunately not many people are willing to drop $400+ (which really isn't that much more than some Gamos) on a springer which is a shame because they really are something special, even more so once they get a good tune.

So great to hear so many positive reports about springers.
If I had to choose it would be a springer,with a springer it is more of a relationship.
PCP, I expect to be accurate and easy to shoot.
PCP can become expensive quickly.....I am glad I have both.
I don’t disagee with the “PCP can become expensive quickly” statement. I’m looking now to buy a large carbon fiber air tank and while it adds cost it greatly adds enjoyment. The expense/liability is offset by the assets/enjoyment. I enjoy shooting my PCPs more than the springers therefore I shoot them more times which multiplies my perceived value.

An example with powder burners. I have a Browning A Bolt 300 WSM that’s been fired maybe 150 times, at the most. The gun cost $650 20 years ago. I also bought a Kimber HS 22 19 years for $850 and everyone thought I was crazy for spending that kind of money on a 22. It’s just a 22 they said… The 300 WSM kicks the crap out of me and I’ll only shoot it 5-10 times at once just to sight in or check zero. The Kimber I’ve fired thousands of times and thoroughly enjoy it every time! With faidly cheap SK Standard ammo it’s a bug shooter and I’ve taken many flies and spiders off my 50 yard target board. Enjoyment per shot is in different worlds with these two guns, cost per shot is too actually.

Of course with all this said, my FWB 124 has sentimental value too

Started out with springers here. First was a D34, then a HW97k. I of course then had to venture into the PCP pool with a Marauder F&T.
Well....now I have 5 springers, one D34, two HW97k's and two Air Arms TX200's.
I also have 3 PCP's. The Marauder F&T, an Air Arms S510, and a Gamo Urban.
And to be truly honest. I love them all. However, I will have to say that my German and British made springers are in their own league I guess you could say. As much as I enjoy the PCP's, I have a more emotional attachment to my springers. I still shoot them very regularly and will never part with them.

Agree with most of the themes above. Give yourself time to sort it out. Took me a few years to settle in with a range of guns that manage my affliction.

Springers for plinking, target shooting, general sanity. Love the HW77, Air Arms TX200

PCP for critter control, field target, bench rest. Vulcan 3 in .177 for small stuff, Taipan Veteran in ,.25 for larger fare. Both are quiet, eye of squirrel accurate out to 40 yards, and quick on a follow up shot. Springers just can't match that. HW44 for close work (one of my favorites)

I tried and exited the long range PCP game. IME 22lr is a better overall solution for 50+ yards; too expensive and a hassle keeping pressure over 150 BAR.

My journey with non box store airguns started with a pcp. The more I frequented the airgun forums the more I would read about springers and my curiosity grew. Finally I decided I had to have one so I traded one of my pcps for a Diana 48. You want a challenge try shooting a magnum springer lol. The artillery hold helped accuracy tremendously. Deeper into the rabbit hole I went and discovered the Diana 54, a springer with a built in artillery hold (recoilless action). Put a WTB ad and after a few days ended up with one that was professionally tuned. What a cool feeling it is to shoot a magnum springer with no recoil. I sold the 48, but the 54 is staying with me until I go up to the spirit in the sky. I could care less about the challenging aspect of springers as I get my challenge from shooting recurves. I enjoy the simplicity of just needing a rifle and a tin.
Wow i gotta check out the Diana 54. That wasn't on my list but it sounds very special. I did get the Diana Oktoberfest gallery gun and love it. It's a blast! What do you love about the 54?