Springer pistols

A lot of good advice above! My 2 cents:

I agree the FWB’s are probably the best spring pistols ever made. My issue with them for a long offhand session is not the cocking effort, but weight, they are big guns. The Diana 10 is amazing to shoot too, but even heavier.

As an aside, to me the issue with cocking the FWB’s is not the effort per se, but that the sideways motion is clumsy and can be tough on your wrist and elbow. My work around is to hold the gun on its side (i.e., palm up) in my right hand, then pull the lever up, using an underhand grip, with the left. This seems much more compatible with how my arm is built, LOL.

Another springer I might consider for indoor shooting is the Beeman P1 (Weihrauch HW 45). IMHO it’s the best springer pistol ever made that is not a match gun, period; top quality, high power, with a great trigger. It has two power settings though, in .177 - the lower one being easy to cock, having minimal recoil, and very quiet, great for indoor use. Be aware that using the high power setting will TOTALLY change the POI at all ranges though - not a trajectory thing, but a recoil thing - and will require re-setting the sights. Another advanced feature is the ability to dry-fire the trigger without cocking the gun, enabling effective practice just about anywhere and any time.

I have to jump on the SSP bandwagon, too. You will love the P17, for a gun you can pick up for pocket change at Wally World it is astonishing! My favorite SSP so far though, is the Beeman P2 (Weihrauch HW 75). It’s built on the same frame as the P1 springer. Same lifetime construction, same great trigger, same dry-fire feature, but now totally recoilless and with a lovely stippled walnut grip. The power is low (no more than the lowly P17) but it is a fantastic quality air pistol. I recently shot one for the first time and was bowled over. It sits a bit high to be considered a true full-blown match gun, I guess, but if you want your airgun to mimic a firearm you might consider that a plus.

Received my P17 you guys talked me into😁. Right out of the package shooting bottle caps off a wall at 7 yds.

The grip was a little slick and had some sharp edges on the front where the two parts come together. A little sanding and some grip tape and we're all good to go.

Looking forward to shooting in the shop this winter and this budget gun looks like it will do nicely in that regard.

I've only shot it a little so far but I don't see how anyone could go wrong having one of these in their arsenal.

1BadDart, I own 4 different air pistols myself and 5 firearms pistols and am Pretty OLD so my eyes are going quickly. I don't think it's the pistol you need to be concerned about. It's the sites you need to consider the most. I would encourage yourself to look into things like RedDot Sites or Pistol Scopes. (I own both) Personally I have a hard time with steel sites because I can only clearly see the front or the back but not both at the same time well enough. I can struggle threw this problem but it's taking the fun out of plinking or target shooting. The Red/Green Dot or the cross hairs is/are a single point/distance to focus on. This reduces eye strain so much that the fun comes back. Another solution for steel sites I have mounted on my firearms Sig p238 is SIGLITE Night Sights. They are so big and so bright in a relatively short gun I can see them like no other steel sites I own. Hope this helps.

BeemanR7,

You beat me to it, IZH 46M is one heck of a springer pistol. Mine has about 3000 rounds through it and I've only replaced one seal. Great design, here's mine.

1541214957_15203058575bdd12ed36dad1.66335563_Sparc 2 12 09 17.jpg

The IZZY is for sure on my short list, but being you want a spring pistol, here's a couple classics to consider. Webley Tempest, this one is a Beeman import, San Rafael, CA and the most fun pistol to shoot I have, and a 1959 Walther LP53 not my most accurate gun, but variety is the spice of life. Don't over look CO2 pistols like the Crosman Mark1 or the Smith & Wesson 78G these are powerful guns and classics, a couple of the best CO2 pistols ever made, my Mark 1's power and accuracy always amazes me every time. If your eyes are aging, like mine, try a pair of ballistic glasses with a reading lens in them, like 1.00 power, I would have a hard time shooting without them, 10 bucks on ebay can't go wrong, and you need safety glasses shooting 10m, pellet or not.

The P17 is a great gun for the money, but be careful when you close it cause things can be in the way... Just got a Daisy 747 and wow, i shot with one back in the 80's cause my uncle had one so i abused that one a lot... They are accurate, very quiet and indoor friendly, not so powerful but it is at 3 joule, likes Geco flatheads and Jsb 7.33gr, no problem to shoot trough an unopened beercan at 10 meters with the flatheads. Works perfect for some steeltarget plinking