Springer PCP Rifle

A Semi auto Springer PCP Rifle, anyone know if that has ever been on the design table?
It seems to me that a lot of air is being used for the semi auto action of the semi air guns out there, my Sortie for example, so was just thinking if it was viable to have the mechanical energy for the semi action stored in a spring and let the pcp air do what it does best : Shoot pellets.

I get it, looking stupid manually pumping your PCP rifle, still, if it doubles the shot count, maybe its worth it? :).

Maybe I'm not fully understanding the "Semi auto Springer PCP" concept. Semi-auto PCP exists.

Are you saying integrate a pump mechanism into the gun to pressurize a secondary tank and off load the auto-loading burden from the primary tank? Or manually cocking a spring to somehow load the next pellet?

A repeater or auto-loading springer sounds like an interesting concept although the loading mechanism could get overly complex.

Maybe something magazine driven that works off the same principle that sets the safety when cocking the spring. Returning the barrel to the ready position could drive a bolt that loads a pellet from the magazine.

Maybe I'm not fully understanding the "Semi auto Springer PCP" concept. Semi-auto PCP exists.

Are you saying integrate a pump mechanism into the gun to pressurize a secondary tank and off load the auto-loading burden from the primary tank? Or manually cocking a spring to somehow load the next pellet?

A repeater or auto-loading springer sounds like an interesting concept although the loading mechanism could get overly complex.

Maybe something magazine driven that works off the same principle that sets the safety when cocking the spring. Returning the barrel to the ready position could drive a bolt that loads a pellet from the magazine.

Or manually cocking a spring to somehow load the next pellet?

Yes, this is what I was getting at, a secondary energy source, the springer, to do the cycling for the semi auto action. It seems to me that it shouldnt take *that much* energy to move the "bolt" back and forth again, you could even catch some of the energy up again upon successful cycling.
So an air tank for the pew pew and a springer for the reloading part.

So you'd pull a lever a few times to compress the spring, and you'd be off to rapid fire semi auto action for a full bottle pcp experience ;).

Or maybe it doesnt take as much air to cycle a semi auto as I imagine it does and this is really a moot point.

I’m trying to wrap my head around how a compressed spring can let out multiple bursts of energy to cycle the bolt for repeated shots. 

There is a way to cycle the bolt without using air. With the right combination of spring strength and hammer weight, a balanced valve will send enough energy back into the spring to cock the hammer. Here’s an example of a guy who made one but it only cycles full auto. A sear would need to be added to catch the hammer to make it semi auto:

https://youtu.be/H2rbqDQCxiQ

Reactions: doubloon
So you'd pull a lever a few times to compress the spring, and you'd be off to rapid fire semi auto action for a full bottle pcp experience ;).
Or maybe it doesnt take as much air to cycle a semi auto as I imagine it does and this is really a moot point.

Compressing a spring to accomplish this only makes sense in my mind if it's something like a coil and the spring is driving some kind of clockwork mechanism to load pellets.

Either way, I don't think the added cost of a secondary mechanism to load pellets is worth the money or complexity it would cost.

Compressing a spring to accomplish this only makes sense in my mind if it's something like a coil and the spring is driving some kind of clockwork mechanism to load pellets.

Either way, I don't think the added cost of a secondary mechanism to load pellets is worth the money or complexity it would cost.

Hmm.. something like that, take for example the rotary magazines from Hatsan (and others I am sure), there is a little spring built into them so they auto rotate whenever you either pull the lever or in case of the sortie, reloads and is ready again.

Surely one could engineer a newtonian construct that upon successful discharge the pin is pushed back and forth again for an automatic reload.

Hatsan mag??? So not only does spring mechanism have to cycle the bolt but it also has to rotate the mag? While running simultaneously with the hammer mechanism…If someone were to create this contraption it’s engineering complexity would rival the finest watches and surely fetch a price that would reflect it. Sounds like a nightmare to repair

Hatsan mag??? So not only does spring mechanism have to cycle the bolt but it also has to rotate the mag? While running simultaneously with the hammer mechanism…If someone were to create this contraption it’s engineering complexity would rival the finest watches and surely fetch a price that would reflect it. Sounds like a nightmare to repair

Sorry. I must be very bad at explaining myself, cause that was nothing like what I was trying to convey.

the reason this is a no brainer in a power burner, is the abundance of energy produced from each shot being used to compress a spring that is responsible for chambering the next round. In the airgun world, you'd be better off making a system with an electronic drive, as it's much easier to accomplish what you desire.

Well my rough back of napkin calculation was something like, how much power do I apply on the spring of my hatsan sortie to reload it manually vs. the power I put into bending the barrel on a springer ... And figured there'd be at least 10x the energy in the springer than what I would manually on the sortie ... But yea, battery would work too.