• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Other Springer Newbie

Greetings to all from a senior who is new to Airgun Nation! I've been a center-fire and rimfire rifle enthusiast/hunter for more than a few decades, but I've only gotten seriously into spring-piston air rifles over the last couple of months. Although I purchased a Diana 34-t05 in .177 around 19 years ago (I choose it from a Cabela's catalogue because it was German-made), I bought it strictly to try to control the tree rats that had started to invade my thistle feeders. After sighting it in with its open sights and practicing a little, I was able to dispatch three squirrels within about an hour-and-a-half (all head shots at only about 10 yards, so its was no outstanding feat of marksmanship). The downside to this success, however, was that it dawned on me that trying to keep the squirrel population down was going to be an exercise in futility. Therefore, my Diana for the most part sat dormant for about 18 years.

My interest in air rifles was recently revived after a couple of new friends starting telling me about their collections, and enlightened me about their utility and history (I had no idea that the Austrian army as well as Lewis and Clark had used them). Long story short, I tuned up my Diana with a Maccari Soft Kit and Vortek piston and breech seals, put a Bushnell 3200 Elite 4-12x40 AO scope on it, and had a blast punching holes in targets. In fact, I liked it so much that bought a Weihrauch HW95 Luxus in .22 from Krale, tuned it with a Maccari Hornet Kit, and crowned it with new Leupold 3-9x33 EFR. As much as I like the Diana, the HW95 is just shear joy to handle and shoot.

With this somewhat lengthy introduction, I do have a question after reading a lot about scope choices on this and other forums: Why is there such a preference for larger, high power scopes for air rifles intended for both target shooting and hunting? My attitude toward powder-burners has always been Old School, in that lighter and lower magnification were preferable. Lighter scopes not only reduce the carry load in the field, but also don't interfere with the rifle's balance and handling characteristics. Lower magnification make for a steadier and more sure aim by reducing the perception of jittering crosshairs that become apparent with higher magnification. Am I missing something here that is particular to air rifles?

Greetings to all from a senior who is new to Airgun Nation! I've been a center-fire and rimfire rifle enthusiast/hunter for more than a few decades, but I've only gotten seriously into spring-piston air rifles over the last couple of months. Although I purchased a Diana 34-t05 in .177 around 19 years ago (I choose it from a Cabela's catalogue because it was German-made), I bought it strictly to try to control the tree rats that had started to invade my thistle feeders. After sighting it in with its open sights and practicing a little, I was able to dispatch three squirrels within about an hour-and-a-half (all head shots at only about 10 yards, so its was no outstanding feat of marksmanship). The downside to this success, however, was that it dawned on me that trying to keep the squirrel population down was going to be an exercise in futility. Therefore, my Diana for the most part sat dormant for about 18 years.

My interest in air rifles was recently revived after a couple of new friends starting telling me about their collections, and enlightened me about their utility and history (I had no idea that the Austrian army as well as Lewis and Clark had used them). Long story short, I tuned up my Diana with a Maccari Soft Kit and Vortek piston and breech seals, put a Bushnell 3200 Elite 4-12x40 AO scope on it, and had a blast punching holes in targets. In fact, I liked it so much that bought a Weihrauch HW95 Luxus in .22 from Krale, tuned it with a Maccari Hornet Kit, and crowned it with new Leupold 3-9x33 EFR. As much as I like the Diana, the HW95 is just shear joy to handle and shoot.

With this somewhat lengthy introduction, I do have a question after reading a lot about scope choices on this and other forums: Why is there such a preference for larger, high power scopes for air rifles intended for both target shooting and hunting? My attitude toward powder-burners has always been Old School, in that lighter and lower magnification were preferable. Lighter scopes not only reduce the carry load in the field, but also don't interfere with the rifle's balance and handling characteristics. Lower magnification make for a steadier and more sure aim by reducing the perception of jittering crosshairs that become apparent with higher magnification. Am I missing something here that is particular to air rifles?
Hawke scopes are great for springers but if you have a leupold or Nikon laying around they will be excellent for your 34

Welcome back to the springer world! Those are two excellent guns you have there!

Big scopes are nice because you can use them for ranging your targets damn near to the yard out to 55yds with some scopes. That really helps when you're trying to dump a .177 through a 1/2" squirrel brain with low velocity guns. It really isn't a necessity though and you can usually eyeball it well enough faith lower power optics at reasonable ranges. A lot of people, myself included, do squirrel control with our target guns as well. Its a lot easier having a lot of zoom so you can spot your shots at longer ranges without having a seperate spotting scope. .177 holes are pretty hard to see on normal target paper at 50yds without 16x scopes and splatter burst target get expensive quickly

Welcome, I'm fairly new myself.
I like nice scopes in general and have had a few over the years. I guess my favorites are 4-16 and 6-24 power, although I've had up to 32 power, with variables you have options. I shoot on 16 power most of the time, but occasionally I'll turn it down depending on what I feel like at the moment. I like to see my pellet holes when shooting groups out to 40 or 55 yards, I also use my scope to range distances for field targets.

I understand for a hunting and woods toting rifle you would want a small light weight scope, and I think Leupold makes a really light weight 3-9.

Probably the majority are paper punchers and want high magnification to easily see the pellet holes. And a lot of us are older with not so great eyes and some wear glasses as well, myself included. Plenty of reasons to buy a nice scope..lol.

All my spring guns are .177, and my scope needs differ between target shooting and hunting. For hunting I set the mag at 4x and leave it alone, so a smaller 3-9x like your EFR is ideal. For target shooting where I’m trying to maximize accuracy, I often like to shoot at 16x so those guns have bigger and heavier scopes. For a gun that sees duty in both areas, I’m biased towards smaller and lighter and usually go with a 3-9x scope.
R

Hawke scopes are great for springers but if you have a leupold or Nikon laying around they will be excellent for your 34
I know A LOT of folks are very keen on the Hawkes. I'm already planning my next purchase of another Weihrauch--probably a HW50s in .177--which I'd like to augment with something like a 2-7x33AO (this will be used mostly for hunting squirrels, maybe rabbits). I see that Hawke has one of these in their Airmax line for a little over $200 that is fairly lightweight. That would probably fill the bill nicely, except that I am extremely adverse to buying optics (as well as most everything else) made in China. Sometimes, however, these is no choice, and one has to bit the bullet. Any thoughts on this?

Welcome back to the springer world! Those are two excellent guns you have there!

Big scopes are nice because you can use them for ranging your targets damn near to the yard out to 55yds with some scopes. That really helps when you're trying to dump a .177 through a 1/2" squirrel brain with low velocity guns. It really isn't a necessity though and you can usually eyeball it well enough faith lower power optics at reasonable ranges. A lot of people, myself included, do squirrel control with our target guns as well. Its a lot easier having a lot of zoom so you can spot your shots at longer ranges without having a seperate spotting scope. .177 holes are pretty hard to see on normal target paper at 50yds without 16x scopes and splatter burst target get expensive quickly
Thanks for your feedback. I did notice that I liked turning up my 4-12 Bushnell to higher powers when shooting targets out to 50 yards. However, I do have a nice Nikon spotting scope that I'm used to using for my powder-burners, so I'm not so worried about being able to spot my shots at long distances with my rifle scopes. What I really would like to get--if I could ever figure out a way to justify the expense--is a SWFA 3-15x42 SS Mil-Quad.

Welcome, I'm fairly new myself.
I like nice scopes in general and have had a few over the years. I guess my favorites are 4-16 and 6-24 power, although I've had up to 32 power, with variables you have options. I shoot on 16 power most of the time, but occasionally I'll turn it down depending on what I feel like at the moment. I like to see my pellet holes when shooting groups out to 40 or 55 yards, I also use my scope to range distances for field targets.

I understand for a hunting and woods toting rifle you would want a small light weight scope, and I think Leupold makes a really light weight 3-9.

Probably the majority are paper punchers and want high magnification to easily see the pellet holes. And a lot of us are older with not so great eyes and some wear glasses as well, myself included. Plenty of reasons to buy a nice scope..lol.
Thanks for the good information. What do you think about high-mag fixed power scopes for shooting between 40-55-yard distances? I mention this because I'm intrigued by the SWFA SS line, especially the 10x42 and 16x42.

Reactions: bustachip
All my spring guns are .177, and my scope needs differ between target shooting and hunting. For hunting I set the mag at 4x and leave it alone, so a smaller 3-9x like your EFR is ideal. For target shooting where I’m trying to maximize accuracy, I often like to shoot at 16x so those guns have bigger and heavier scopes. For a gun that sees duty in both areas, I’m biased towards smaller and lighter and usually go with a 3-9x scope.
R
I appreciate your input. I think we're pretty much on the same page as far as hunting scopes. For rimfires, I've always preferred a fixed 4x, with a 2-7 variable coming in a close second. My question to is about the shooting with a 16x: would still be inclined to use that magnification if you were using a spotting scope to track you shooting?

Owner of 10 Airmax scopes. Bought the first 2 back in 2016 from Jeff at Trenier Outdoors when they finally brought the AMX reticle versions to the US. Still have both of those 3-9x40's, both still mounted on springers (all but 1 of the 10 I own are) and no issues with either, even for being made in a Chinese factory.
They've got a solid warranty Hawke backs up very well, so if a 2-7x32 Airmax is what you're considering for that HW50s, don't let the fact of Chinese built stop you.

Reactions: fishing43
Thanks for the good information. What do you think about high-mag fixed power scopes for shooting between 40-55-yard distances? I mention this because I'm intrigued by the SWFA SS line, especially the 10x42 and 16x42.
I wouldn't say 10 and 16 power is really "high" mag, but they are pretty good for target shooting. .177 holes get pretty small at 50 yards, but it's doable more so with 16.
I have a SWFA fixed 10 power mill quad on my 17HMR, and can shoot 1.0" groups at 100 yards in still wind and the right ammo. I've never tried this scope on an air rifle, but for $300 it's a pretty good scope. The rear focus is not ideal for me it doesn't snap in and out of focus like some scopes. It does have pretty good glass, can focus down to 10 yards, it has good turrets and tracking and it's made in Japan. From what I've read the 10 power is probably the best for the clearest image, although I haven't tried the 12, 16, or 20 power versions.
Some field target shooters use 35 power fixed scopes like Leupold and say they range really well. Weaver makes fixed power target scopes as well as Sightron and others that are "high" mag.

Reactions: KY Crusader
Not to crazy about buying chinese made, but the Airmax line is good. I do have a few, and a little 2-7 on a FWB sport. The only downside is that on lower power I get a shadow or ghost image of the front sight in the scope. Same problem with a Leupold 2-7 on a rimfire rifle with iron sights.
Thanks for the info. Ghosting is certainly something to consider. If there's a perfect sight out there (that is under $400) I've yet to discover it.

I wouldn't say 10 and 16 power is really "high" mag, but they are pretty good for target shooting. .177 holes get pretty small at 50 yards, but it's doable more so with 16.
I have a SWFA fixed 10 power mill quad on my 17HMR, and can shoot 1.0" groups at 100 yards in still wind and the right ammo. I've never tried this scope on an air rifle, but for $300 it's a pretty good scope. The rear focus is not ideal for me it doesn't snap in and out of focus like some scopes. It does have pretty good glass, can focus down to 10 yards, it has good turrets and tracking and it's made in Japan. From what I've read the 10 power is probably the best for the clearest image, although I haven't tried the 12, 16, or 20 power versions.
Some field target shooters use 35 power fixed scopes like Leupold and say they range really well. Weaver makes fixed power target scopes as well as Sightron and others that are "high" mag.
Thanks for the leads...I'll check them out. I guess I'm showing my age and/or traditionalist background. 10x and 16x seem like a lot of magnification to me. But I'm always open to considering new points of view. :cool:

In competition having high mag helps a few ways
- better see the pellet in flight
- better see your holdover markings
- aim small miss small
- in field target, maximize range estimation capability
- no penalty for the big glass within the rulesets.
- plenty of time to build a stable stance, find natural point of aim, breath control, etc.

In the vast majority of airgun competitions, having a light scope with broad field of view and optical line close to the trajectory simply isn’t an advantage like it is in the field.