Springer maintenance

Afternoon everyone,

Still being new to springers, this forum and better air guns generally I've run into a question. I have a pair of Benjamin springers, a Trail and a Titan. I'd been hesitant to go with a break barrel as I'd never used one but they have been much better than I would have expected. The Titan was not new but it almost is and the Trail is new but has had a trigger job and some barrel work done. I was actually able to split two cards with it at 15 yards today in only three shots while sitting in a lawn chair. I've looked through the instruction manual carefully and it seems fairly basic. I have found no information about maintenance. What is good practice for these rifles? I have a Benjamin pcp that has good insrtructions and it looks very simple. How do I keep these two springers in good condition? Barrel cleaning on occasion seems obvious but where should I lubricate it and with what? Anything else? I tend to take this kind of thing very seriously with match grade firearms and any others I have as well. That's served me well over the years so I'll put in the same time and effort as needed here. Thanks for any good information.

Rick H.

I am not familiar with Benjamin springers but a springer is a springer. Very little maintenance is needed for springers. Checking stock and scope screws now and then is important. No oil required internally. It probably has to much in there from the factory already. If it is dieseling or igniting stop using and start asking. If you want to oil anything ask here first. Oil is more of a problem than an asset. Just shoot them and enjoy.

I've been at this for approximately 22 years. Never used to keep a gun log till 3 years ago. I starting keeping a log of my shooting session and gun performance.

Basic things noted in the log. date when spring was replaced, when was breech seal and piston seal changed (note brand). Ft/Lb or speed with name and weight of pellet (Chrono data).

As stated above when accuracy deteriorates, check stock screws, clean the barrel, tissue test/ chrono your gun. Check the spring, breech and piston seals. scope mounts, scope vs open sight to diagnose scope problem. 

If you start keeping a log, you'll get a custom baseline data that's reflective of your shooting style/frequency. With this data, you can then predict the life cycle of these consumables (spring, seals) and do preventative maintenance by changing the spring or seals ahead of time.