• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Other Springer Magazine

Gamo swarm and umarex emerge. There may be others.
Are those gas pistons ? I'm kinda leaning toward a spring. I'm kinda new so my terminology may be of. My thought is to have an air gun around that I won't have issues like some of the gas piston types. Although I have seen a few gas piston guns I may get I'm thinking a springer may be a good long term no hassle plinker to have around. I could probably change a spring out easier than a re seal or piston change or whatever.

Are those gas pistons ? I'm kinda leaning toward a spring. I'm kinda new so my terminology may be of. My thought is to have an air gun around that I won't have issues like some of the gas piston types. Although I have seen a few gas piston guns I may get I'm thinking a springer may be a good long term no hassle plinker to have around. I could probably change a spring out easier than a re seal or piston change or whatever.
If you want a no hassle springer, you don't want it to take a magazine. They all eventually break.

They are gas piston. There may not be any repeating spring piston air rifles.

@luckybuckeye

My Diana 300R

231 Diana300R.JPG

232 Diana 300R magazine.jpg

Last edited:
My own biased opinion is that it's not the gas piston that's the problem, but rather the cheap and kludgy magazine system, at least in regards to the Gamo Swarm family of rifles.

The Umarex may be better.

Crosman also makes their "Mag-Fire" gas piston repeaters, but everything I've read about them indicates that they are just as problematic as the Gamo.

Theoben used to make the SLR88 and SLR98 rifles and I've never heard anything bad about them except that they're as scarce as hens teeth and cost an arm and a leg.

My own biased opinion is that it's not the gas piston that's the problem, but rather the cheap and kludgy magazine system, at least in regards to the Gamo Swarm family of rifles.

The Umarex may be better.

Crosman also makes their "Mag-Fire" gas piston repeaters, but everything I've read about them indicates that they are just as problematic as the Gamo.

Theoben used to make the SLR88 and SLR98 rifles and I've never heard anything bad about them except that they're as scarce as hens teeth and cost an arm and a leg.
I owned a Theoben SLR98 .22 for a few years around 2006. It had a 7 shot removable mag. The same mag that came with the Theoben Rapid 7 before it. It worked perfectly!
Sold it because I was thinning out the heavier rifles.
They were/are really beautiful under lever Airguns.
SB

Reactions: Hopper
I'm trying to figure out why one would ever need a magazine for a springer? Don't you have to stop and cock the gun each and every time? In comparison how much more time does it take to load the pellet?
I've used both and if a fast followup shot is important to you, then a magazine does make that much faster. If all you want to do is shoot a couple hundred pellets at various targets however then I think it's actually faster to just load them one at a time, at least with a break barrel. Where I think a magazine feed would excel would be with an underlever or sidelever gun. On either of those feeding pellets in can be a bit tricky and a magazine would make it easier.

I'm trying to figure out why one would ever need a magazine for a springer? Don't you have to stop and cock the gun each and every time? In comparison how much more time does it take to load the pellet?
Good point. I was just thinking convenience. Having to grab a pellet each shot. Really not a huge deal I guess. I asked out of curiosity more than anything. I just got into shooting pellet guns and purchased an entry level pcp semi but have been thinking of a break barrel.

I've used both and if a fast followup shot is important to you, then a magazine does make that much faster. If all you want to do is shoot a couple hundred pellets at various targets however then I think it's actually faster to just load them one at a time, at least with a break barrel. Where I think a magazine feed would excel would be with an underlever or sidelever gun. On either of those feeding pellets in can be a bit tricky and a magazine would make it easier.
All good points I didn't think of.