N/A Springer for pests at 50 yards?

What's the best springer for pests at 50yards? Probably spent 12hrs over the past couple days researching PCP's and just seems like I'm gonna dump 1k before I even get going. Probably spent 4 hrs researching springers today and I'm so lost in the sauce. One minute I was looking at Hatsan 135 QE Vortex in .25/.30, Then various Gamo's in .22, and almost pulled the trigger on a Beeman R9 but then starting reconsidering cause we do have some racoons and plenty of armadillos that destroy my 2 arces.

I started with Gamo gas gun and am now interested in an Fx crown.it is a steep hole watch your step.waiting and researching is good.I got a great deal on the Gamo coyote on there site 400. Delivered made in England.it was on special.had 5 yr warranty.
The more I research I keep looking at FX and Taipan. Not that I have that much to spend right now. Scanning this forum and youtube there's a somewhat common theme of several ppl saying they wished they spent the money on a higher end gun instead of spending more trying various cheaper guns.

Reactions: fishing43
If you are trying to guard your chickens/ live stocks against predators...
In general, shooting them may not net your permanent long-term results. The smart ones learn your pattern and will eventually shows up when you are not there. A trail camera may help you learn their pattern (until there's no pattern, then you need to be close enough for a real time response).

Most would recommend a live stock guardian like a dog...

But if you want to shoot them and as many have already stated, springers might not be the best tool.

I notice that you have some reservations with PCP in that you may not want to deal with tanks and compressors and spending too much money etc.

Then you might want to consider a compound bow or a crossbow. Just make sure you have a safe shooting lane and a safe backstop. Tons of options for you from $250-$500 for these bows and the bonus is no other support equipment required. Get one in your hands and start practicing at 50 yards. Other than a firearm, these bows are more than adequate to dispatch raccoons and armadillos accurately at 50 yards.

Last edited:
I think I'm done with this forum. Half the damn posts are about "Scuba Guns". I thought it would be purely about my beloved traditionals. Air compressors are for tires. Plus, your guns are ugly and they sound wierd.
This thread is pretty much all traditional springers and receives multiple new posts daily-

Ask @RM100GUY about Taipans. As for me, I took his advice and bought one. A great platform. Accurate and built to last. I now have a Leupold scope on it.
IMG_3485.JPG

Reactions: RM100GUY
I think I'm done with this forum. Half the damn posts are about "Scuba Guns". I thought it would be purely about my beloved traditionals. Air compressors are for tires. Plus, your guns are ugly and they sound wierd.
scroll down the Foruns list click on Traditional , problem solved

If my need was only the occeasional pest and not interested in plinking or target shooting (beyond sighting in), I would get a Ruger RPR rimfire .22LR, a brick of Lapua Center Point or Midas+ and a $200 suppressor. Downside of suppressor is the $200 tax stamp and about a six month wait for approval. Scope does not have to be anything elaborate.
My 2¢.
I personally use an FX Crown .25 but also have several other PCP’s and an Alkin for my shooting fun.

Edit: Prior to airgun addiction, the suppressed .22LR was my pesting weapon of choice. It is more energy than necessary for pesting and small game like squirrels but it can confidently take care of larger critters like raccoons and groundhogs.
Plus, for totsl cash outlay, if you get an upper end airgun and a compressor, the .22LR would be lower investment and no compressor maintenace and SCBA bottles.
IMG_0386.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: two4spooky