N/A Springer for pests at 50 yards?

What's the best springer for pests at 50yards? Probably spent 12hrs over the past couple days researching PCP's and just seems like I'm gonna dump 1k before I even get going. Probably spent 4 hrs researching springers today and I'm so lost in the sauce. One minute I was looking at Hatsan 135 QE Vortex in .25/.30, Then various Gamo's in .22, and almost pulled the trigger on a Beeman R9 but then starting reconsidering cause we do have some racoons and plenty of armadillos that destroy my 2 arces.

a tank set up is the same or more $$ But it usually does not break and you have to have a place that will fill it . you can also hand pump , NO it is not that hard to do . don't listen to the guys that pumped a few times and gave up , they are just Wimps .
Bloomingdale what state ? maybe an airgunner is close ?
Another thing about a hand pump is you can top off your gun ,say only shoot 15 shots and fill back up easy .
Today is my 78th birthday and i can top off my PCP anytime i want .
Stan in KY .
Happy birthday

Yep. Other advantage to PCP would be ability to use slugs at that range. Too bad they don’t make the Walther Maximathor anymore. I have one in .22. Unregulated, 267cc air tube so it’s easy to hand pump, 8 shot mag, dead nutz accurate with the LW barrel. I can shoot 4 mags at 40-48 FPE depending on pellet weight on one fill, and it shoots slugs very well also. It’s my go to for bigger pests. Wouldn’t recommend finding a used one because parts are scarce after the Umarex fiasco. If anyone knows anything comparable that’s in production it would be perfect.

78 and your hand pumping? Not that I've ever experienced hand pumping a PCP but the way everyone complains I'd figure it's a feat. At the same time different generation, my grandfather was still doing crazy stuff up until he passed. What PCP's are you toping off?
Daystate Pulsar , AA S510 , USFT

Geez those are all pricey guns. What type of pump you using? Also Belated Happy Birthday
just a Chinese one off Amazon there is a secret to hand pumping (you tube has some ) basicly you push down till your arms are straight locked , then bend your knees and let the weight of your body fall on the pump for that last high pressure push .
pump slow and easy .

i started with a Gauntlet 1 and a hand pump , buy sell trading up for last 4 years
also had 38 Powder guns , i now have 3 .

Last edited:
Agree , with rest on going PCP at 50 yards and bigger game. I love all my springers , but primarily all my pesting / hunting with them is under 25 yards. I Prefer more Umf- at 40+ yards.
They’re are way more options now than ever for PCP guns and filling equipment, & way more affordable than used to be to go into the dark side, lol.
Check classifieds there’s lots great deals from time to time in nice guns as well.

My .02 .... I understand the simplicity of a springer for your needs, but realistic kill shots at 50 yds may be a stretch for the pests mentioned. Slowing them down (wounding-maiming) for closer kill shots are doable for certain with springer or pcp. But.... in my pcp experience(s)... one shot - one kill at distance on raccoons doesn't happen often, they're tough critters.

Any springer and most pellet shooting PCP’s will not make a humane kill. Just indecent to make an animal suffer. I have live trapped 10 armadillo’s this summer. Moved them out further in the country. They are easy to trap. If coons are being destructive then a .22 long rifle.
What's your technique for trapping so many?

Reactions: Bear-of-Grayling
Some states it's illegal to relocate pests. All you're really doing is making them someone else's problem. If it's legal to kill them and they're are causing a problem shoot them.
I got armadillos on my property. Best I can tell they're not causing any problems so I leave them alone. Since I got the dogs last week I ain't seen anything but a few scared squirrels. No more coons on the coop . No more deer either 😒.

Funky,
Shoot-on-sight is my program for armadillos. Billy the Exterminator TV showed using long rows of low (stake in the ground) metal ornamental garden edging fencing to direct armadillos into trap. Poor eyesight causes them to follow fencing funneling into Havahart trap. Worked overnight for him. Never tried it, don't want to get that close to anything carrying leprosy. WM

Find where they are coming in from. They are very habitual. Always use the same path. A hole (tunnel) in the woods. If no woods look early morning for the trail in the dew. Flag it. Two boards and a trap. Big V. No bait. They are pretty much blind. They will bump into the boards and keep going until they enter the trap.
D29C76F1-747D-471A-9F4C-E516B458761B.jpeg
6D93F271-840B-4D88-A577-4D123CB49545.png
76B41F23-3238-4918-9137-61ECD77DE9B2.jpeg

Find where they are coming in from. They are very habitual. Always use the same path. A hole (tunnel) in the woods. If no woods look early morning for the trail in the dew. Flag it. Two boards and a trap. Big V. No bait. They are pretty much blind. They will bump into the boards and keep going until they enter the trap. View attachment 387855View attachment 387856View attachment 387857
Will be interesting to figure out where they are getting in from. Back of my property is against all woods.