• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Springer for pests at 50 yards?

What's the best springer for pests at 50yards? Probably spent 12hrs over the past couple days researching PCP's and just seems like I'm gonna dump 1k before I even get going. Probably spent 4 hrs researching springers today and I'm so lost in the sauce. One minute I was looking at Hatsan 135 QE Vortex in .25/.30, Then various Gamo's in .22, and almost pulled the trigger on a Beeman R9 but then starting reconsidering cause we do have some racoons and plenty of armadillos that destroy my 2 arces.

If you're going after raccoons, just get a PCP that fits your budget and call it a day. A springer can do it but not only is your shot going to have to be perfectly placed, you're going to have to put 3x more effort into learning how to shoot a springer well than you will a PCP.

If you do choose to go the springer route, an HW80 in .22 will likely be your best bet.

a tank set up is the same or more $$ But it usually does not break and you have to have a place that will fill it . you can also hand pump , NO it is not that hard to do . don't listen to the guys that pumped a few times and gave up , they are just Wimps .
Bloomingdale what state ? maybe an airgunner is close ?
Another thing about a hand pump is you can top off your gun ,say only shoot 15 shots and fill back up easy .
Today is my 78th birthday and i can top off my PCP anytime i want .
Stan in KY .

Last edited:
Check out this Marauder .25 and Centerpoint scope deal. Gets about 40 shots per fill. The rifle has a max fill pressure of 3k so easy to hand pump. Great stock trigger. Quiet. Lots of mods. Accurate. Easy to maintain. American made.

Free hand pump, scope, rings and rifle sling. Out of the box .25 hunter / plinker. Grab some JSB 25 caliber Kings 25.39 and Bob's your uncle.

Will solve all of your pest problems, twenty-five caliber pellets hit like a freight train right in the brain box.

a tank set up is the same or more $$ But it usually does not break and you have to have a place that will fill it . you can also hand pump , NO it is not that hard to do . don't listen to the guys that pumped a few times and gave up , they are just Wimps .
Another thing about a hand pump is you can top off your gun ,say only shoot 15 shots and fill back up easy .
GA

Reactions: beerthief
Springers more difficult to shoot:I have a wiebrach hw 95 and at 50 yds I can not get real consistent groups.I also have a Gamo coyote pcp and it does a much better job.it’s just me not the best shot with springer.I bought an air compressor off of Amazon and got 5 yr warranty.doing it over I would get an air avenger with a compressor.

What pellets are you shooting? Have you cleaned the barrel lately with Ballistol? I can hit dimes at 55 yards my my HW95.

Reactions: two4spooky
Stan in KY .
78 and your hand pumping? Not that I've ever experienced hand pumping a PCP but the way everyone complains I'd figure it's a feat. At the same time different generation, my grandfather was still doing crazy stuff up until he passed. What PCP's are you toping off?

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
Stan in KY .
Happy Birthday, Stan!

Reactions: beerthief
If I were going with a fairly inexpensive PCP I’d look into the below. Simple to operate. Easy to fill with a hand pump. 30+ FPE. Rich used to sell a tuned version, might do one for you. Ive thought about buying one but I already have this base covered. He also sells tuned Marauders. Both those guns are made for hunting.

Hatsan 125 in either .22 or .25 will do fine for racoons at 50 yds, but you will have to deal with its fierce recoil and simply learn to shoot it right. It's not really that tricky to do it, but you will need a shooting rest, that will offer consistent shots, i.e. a light tripod or a shooting stick which you'll be able to carry around - something light and not too heavy. Also, shooting sticks are easier to carry and quicker to deploy effectively. At 50 yards you'll roughly have some 18.5 ft/lbs of energy left with a .22 cal, 18 grain pellet - e.g. JSB heavy or H&N Baracuda-18. JSBs usually perform better out of these newer Hatsan 125s.

...And this is the kind of accuracy you're looking at the distance of 30 yards, when shooting off-hand:

When rested on a bipod, the gun performs better of course.

Square one. Unless I missed it, what pest? Big difference between a starling and a coyote. Different equipment is required for both and a lot in between. My springers will hit dimes at 50 yards but I'm not delusional either. As needed power increases the more PCPs are worthwhile. If you're only using it for pesting hand pumping would probably be fine.

Square one. Unless I missed it, what pest? Big difference between a starling and a coyote. Different equipment is required for both and a lot in between. My springers will hit dimes at 50 yards but I'm not delusional either. As needed power increases the more PCPs are worthwhile. If you're only using it for pesting hand pumping would probably be fine.
Up to and including raccoons and armadillos. Both of those are tough. Armadillo is basically a little tank.

Reactions: Mycapt65
Pretty much trying to cover all my bases for pesting in one gun.

Biggest current problem is armadillos. Tried trapping them but not much luck.

The raccoons stay back by the chicken coop at 50 yards and have yet to get a chicken. But the coop has only been established for maybe 4 months. Got a cam back there.

The others that we are getting more of since the coop went up are rats (IDK if I'll get any without a NV setup) and squirrels.

During the day the only thing to get are squirrels, starlings, and the occasional day time rabbit.

Pretty much trying to cover all my bases for pesting in one gun.

Biggest current problem is armadillos. Tried trapping them but not much luck.

The raccoons stay back by the chicken coop at 50 yards and have yet to get a chicken. But the coop has only been established for maybe 4 months. Got a cam back there.

The others that we are getting more of since the coop went up are rats (IDK if I'll get any without a NV setup) and squirrels.

During the day the only thing to get are squirrels, starlings, and the occasional day time rabbit.
Sounds like a .25 cal Avenger is perfect for you. I used my .25 for mice, squirrels, groundhogs, raccoons, and the occasional red fox. I used a cheap Yong Heng compressor and its worked fine for 4 years now, although it was really only heavily used for 2 years. These days I'm all about spring pistons so no need for HPA.

Reactions: Rawroots
Sounds like a .25 cal Avenger is perfect for you. I used my .25 for mice, squirrels, groundhogs, raccoons, and the occasional red fox. I used a cheap Yong Heng compressor and its worked fine for 4 years now, although it was really only heavily used for 2 years. These days I'm all about spring pistons so no need for HPA.
Seemed like a pain to setup that compressor and bunch of extra stuff to make it right.

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
Seemed like a pain to setup that compressor and bunch of extra stuff to make it right.
It's really not. Use a $10 bucket for water, run the hoses through the lid, change the oil every few hours of use. It'll charge your gun in under a minute with some added warm up time so figure 180 fills per oil change. Really couldn't be simpler aside from getting a break barrel.

I'm not trying to talk you into PCP because PCP is better. I'm doing so because its a better tool for your needs. I have 50 springers and only 1 PCP. I absolutely have a preference here I just don't think its the right choice for your situation.

Reactions: Farmplinker2