• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Springer for pests at 50 yards?

What's the best springer for pests at 50yards? Probably spent 12hrs over the past couple days researching PCP's and just seems like I'm gonna dump 1k before I even get going. Probably spent 4 hrs researching springers today and I'm so lost in the sauce. One minute I was looking at Hatsan 135 QE Vortex in .25/.30, Then various Gamo's in .22, and almost pulled the trigger on a Beeman R9 but then starting reconsidering cause we do have some racoons and plenty of armadillos that destroy my 2 arces.

Billy the Exterminator had same setup as Bear-of-Grayling, just used rolls of wire ornamental fencing, stuck in dirt, in place of boards. No bait, armadillo just funneled along fence into trap. Billy's "V" was larger, but same concept. WM
We went out to get some feed and do some shopping and I forgot all about it. That was a last minute effort to just see if I get lucky.

Reactions: WorriedMan
If you're going after raccoons, just get a PCP that fits your budget and call it a day. A springer can do it but not only is your shot going to have to be perfectly placed, you're going to have to put 3x more effort into learning how to shoot a springer well than you will a PCP.

If you do choose to go the springer route, an HW80 in .22 will likely be your best bet.
agreed. i had a pellet co2 rifle for a skunk.. it took 3 shots of .177 into the body and ran off. im sure it died but the rifle just didnt have the stopping power of a pcp. now i have an fx impact 3, 0.30 cal. works great.. one shot to the heart/lung or head, and that pest stops dead in its tracks.

I tended to my pest control duties yesterday. Took 4 red squirrels with my .22 cal Diana 350 Magnum at ranges from 30 to 50 yds. I used 14.3gr Crosman Premiers for all four. All were solid headshots, and instant lights out. The 350 and the Mantis 4-12 are a good match. Heck of an affordable small pest setup.

D350-1.JPG

This won't make me popular with some folks here, but here goes, I agree with those suggesting various PCP rifles, I also agree with you that getting into PCP is an expensive rabbit hole to delve into, one of my sons (50 yrs. old) is an avid air gunner, he decided to explore PCP air guns about two years ago, his first was a Sentry .22 cal. rifle and a hand pump, it cost him about $350 in all with a cheap scope.
Now two years down the road and five PCP rifles, two air compressors, and a couple of compressed air tanks later he's about $6000.00 into the exploration and confided in me that he enjoys shooting his break barrel air rifles allot more than his PCP rifles.
I have some nice Springers and gas piston break barrel rifles, a couple of them are capable of decent fifty yard accuracy and enough energy to take small game, but I wouldn't trust them to humanely take raccoons or fox at those ranges, my best suggestion for your problem would be (if safely possible) spend $150.00 on a good .22RF rifle and a cheap scope, use sub sonic .22RF ammo and use it to dispatch those bigger predators, and buy a good quality mid priced air rifle for smaller game and inexpensive shooting fun.

This won't make me popular with some folks here, but here goes, I agree with those suggesting various PCP rifles, I also agree with you that getting into PCP is an expensive rabbit hole to delve into, one of my sons (50 yrs. old) is an avid air gunner, he decided to explore PCP air guns about two years ago, his first was a Sentry .22 cal. rifle and a hand pump, it cost him about $350 in all with a cheap scope.
Now two years down the road and five PCP rifles, two air compressors, and a couple of compressed air tanks later he's about $6000.00 into the exploration and confided in me that he enjoys shooting his break barrel air rifles allot more than his PCP rifles.
I have some nice Springers and gas piston break barrel rifles, a couple of them are capable of decent fifty yard accuracy and enough energy to take small game, but I wouldn't trust them to humanely take raccoons or fox at those ranges, my best suggestion for your problem would be (if safely possible) spend $150.00 on a good .22RF rifle and a cheap scope, use sub sonic .22RF ammo and use it to dispatch those bigger predators, and buy a good quality mid priced air rifle for smaller game and inexpensive shooting fun.
All I've been doing is research and more research. All I'm coming up with the deeper I dig is I should probably spend a pretty penny or I'll just spend a lot in the long run.

My wife keeps asking if I've bought my air rifle yet. As one person on here said in another post. I'm trying to find M3 BMW at a Toyota Corolla price.

Last edited:
All I've been doing is research and more research. All I'm coming up with the deeper I dig is I should probably spend a pretty penny or I'll just spend a lot in the long run.

My wife keeps asking if I've bought my air rifle yet. As one person on here said in another post. I'm trying to find M3 BMW at a Toyota Corolla price.
Sometimes the more you research something the more confused and complex it gets, I respect the performance that PCP rifles offer, but I like challenging myself, I mentioned in my post that my son confided that he enjoys shooting his break barrel rifles more than his PCP guns, the reason for that is simple, PCP rifles are inherently more accurate at longer ranges, they don't suffer from the same violent recoil or vibrations so the shooter doesn't have to be as skilled or use his/her shooting skills to the same degree to be as accurate, in other words PCP guns are much more forgiving, in a word when the new wears off they get boring, boring leads to shortened attention span, no challenge.
And you don't have to spend a bundle on an air rifle to get good performance and reasonable accuracy, I have two rifles that give me excellent accuracy at 40 yds. and under, and in excess of 18 FPE, plenty enough for small game hunting or ridding one's self of farm raiders.
One is a Hatsan mod. 95 .22cal. Springer topped with a UTG 3x9x32 AO Hunter model scope, it has plenty of power and will shoot consistent 3/4" groups at 35 yds., it cost me $149.00, the other is my Crosman Vantage NP (Nitro Piston) gas ram powered .177 cal. rifle that wears a Center Point 3x9x32 variable scope, it too is capable of shooting tight groups, my son and I often shoot at standing wooden match sticks and playing cards stuck on edge at 30~35 yds. at it doesn't miss very often, it drives 12.5 gr. pellets at 950 fps for 25 FPE, plenty enough to anchor most small game critters you'd care to hunt at reasonable ranges, the .177 shooting 12.5 gr. domed pellets took a huge Gopher that was raiding our garden, my son shot right through the screen door at the Gopher as it stood up chomping on squash, took him right in the chest at 25 yds., the critter fell over, kicked twice and expired, the Crosman Vantage cost me $99.00 also from MidwayUSA.
The Vantage is an excellent well built good looking rifle with a horrible trigger, but that can be fixed in two minutes with a longer trigger screw purchase from any hardware store.
Kenny Kormandy @ myairgunreviews did a fine review of this gun that can be viewed on u-tube and also shower how to do the trigger mod, he called it a gem in the rough and though he sold most of the guns that he reviewed he said that the Vantage was a keeper and would go into his collection.
Just something to think about, good luck with your search.

I have been into airguns for probably 6 months.I am looking for accuracy.I am on my third airgun now.I would like to find something for about a thousand dollars that is regulated.once you have a compressor or tank. You are golden,.I bought a g3 compressor and paid for a 5 yr warranty .I have about 450 in the compressor. It was tough to make the jump .I am 71 and have been shooting firearms all my life.airguns are addicting

Reactions: beerthief
I have been into airguns for probably 6 months.I am looking for accuracy.I am on my third airgun now.I would like to find something for about a thousand dollars that is regulated.once you have a compressor or tank. You are golden,.I bought a g3 compressor and paid for a 5 yr warranty .I have about 450 in the compressor. It was tough to make the jump .I am 71 and have been shooting firearms all my life.airguns are addicting
Is this G3 pump one of these?

1000014528.jpg

I see a bunch of ppl saying G3 but can't find specifically what they're talking about. I'm guessing the one on the left.