• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Springer for learning

I'm a complete novice when it comes to air rifles but done a fair amount of reading re: artillery hold, pellet preference of rifles, scope adjustment, etc. With what seems like so many variables which affect accuracy, I'm trying to maximize my chances of having some success and not getting frustrated/disappointed early on in the learning curve.

Is there a springer that you would recommend as being a good one on which to learn? Based on my reading, it seems that something modestly powered (ie. not a magnum), would be somewhat "better behaved" and easier to learn, yes?

Assuming no price constraints...what's your pick?

Many thanks for all the good advice.

1588982908_4920108735eb5f47ce53b57.37611993.jpg
These are RWS 34 clones and shoot very beautifully. Get one tuned by Mike or do it yourself. But they will shoot great out of the box. Why spend a bunch of money on something you might not even like. Great rifles for a excellent price. Xisico XS-25 or the XS25 SFB

http://flyingdragonairrifles.org/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51,

http://flyingdragonairrifles.org/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=67

These are RWS 34 clones and shoot very beautifully. Get one tuned by Mike or do it yourself. But they will shoot great out of the box. Why spend a bunch of money on something you might not even like. Great rifles for a excellent price. Xisico XS-25 or the XS25 SFB

http://flyingdragonairrifles.org/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51,

http://flyingdragonairrifles.org/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=67

+1, I highly recommend adding the full tune service.

The HW30 is a great choice for what you are seeking. I love mine in .177. I’ve been shooting it almost every day in the backyard during these lockdown at home times. It has kept me sane to be able to sit down and shoot each day for a little while. The HW30s Deluxe is at Airguns of Arizona for just over $300. If you don’t want the deluxe stock it can be had for even less.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to air rifles but done a fair amount of reading re: artillery hold, pellet preference of rifles, scope adjustment, etc. With what seems like so many variables which affect accuracy, I'm trying to maximize my chances of having some success and not getting frustrated/disappointed early on in the learning curve.

Is there a springer that you would recommend as being a good one on which to learn? Based on my reading, it seems that something modestly powered (ie. not a magnum), would be somewhat "better behaved" and easier to learn, yes?

To me, the answer really depends on what you're going to shoot (at). My first air gun was a Gamo, and I thought it was "meh." Only when I started buying better and varied pellet types and grains did I discover that I had shot nearly 2,500 pellets that the gun didn't really like. Even then, I was killing small pests and putting 6/10 inside 1" group at 13 yards. But being a hunter when younger, that frustrated me. I'm capable of much smaller groups (and with my expensive Weihrauchs, I actually achieve them). Nonetheless, my Hammerli 850 Gen 1 CO2 air rifle is effortless to shoot accurately. I've made intentional headshots (tree rats) at just over 25 yards with it (scoped). It's accurate, shoots most pellets without a fuss (but not heavier pellets), and cares not how its held. With that said, if you're looking for fun plinking and pesting, get a medium FPS shooting air rifle (break barrel; CO2; or PCP) and have fun!

If, OTOH, you want to shoot game, get a .22 or .25--and most likely get a PCP. I'm a dedicated spring coil (and gas ram) shooter; but my range is under 30 yards. I believe that my guns will shoot effectively up to twice that range, but accuracy is much more difficult (for me) at those ranges. PCPs don't bounce/recoil like break barrels do.

Yes, the HW30 is perhaps the single best species of break barrel one could buy. If I had bought it first, I probably wouldn't own any others: its quiet, light, not pellet picky, not hold sensitive, and capable of head shot kills of tree rats to 30 yards (my limit). 

Since there's lots of really good (and great) options out there, have fun contemplating them all--because, more than likely, it's just your first one.... :)

Arch_E

********Assuming no price constraints...what's your pick?********

RWS Diana 54 or 56 in any caliber. Yo!

To me, the answer really depends on what you're going to shoot (at). My first air gun was a Gamo, and I thought it was "meh." Only when I started buying better and varied pellet types and grains did I discover that I had shot nearly 2,500 pellets that the gun didn't really like. Even then, I was killing small pests and putting 6/10 inside 1" group at 13 yards. But being a hunter when younger, that frustrated me. I'm capable of much smaller groups (and with my expensive Weihrauchs, I actually achieve them). Nonetheless, my Hammerli 850 Gen 1 CO2 air rifle is effortless to shoot accurately. I've made intentional headshots (tree rats) at just over 25 yards with it (scoped). It's accurate, shoots most pellets without a fuss (but not heavier pellets), and cares not how its held. With that said, if you're looking for fun plinking and pesting, get a medium FPS shooting air rifle (break barrel; CO2; or PCP) and have fun!

If, OTOH, you want to shoot game, get a .22 or .25--and most likely get a PCP. I'm a dedicated spring coil (and gas ram) shooter; but my range is under 30 yards. I believe that my guns will shoot effectively up to twice that range, but accuracy is much more difficult (for me) at those ranges. PCPs don't bounce/recoil like break barrels do.

Yes, the HW30 is perhaps the single best species of break barrel one could buy. If I had bought it first, I probably wouldn't own any others: its quiet, light, not pellet picky, not hold sensitive, and capable of head shot kills of tree rats to 30 yards (my limit). 

Since there's lots of really good (and great) options out there, have fun contemplating them all--because, more than likely, it's just your first one.... :)

Arch_E

The Hammerli 850 has the ability to outshot mostly any Springer out to 30 yards in stock co2 form and out to 55+ yards when converted to HPA. Yo!

Kingfisher, I bought an R7 at 47 Paul Dr.San Rafael,in 1983,they did not have safeties back then$159.50

Boscoe

The pre-safety R7s are the holy grail for R7 guys. I'm very fortunate to have one. However, I couldn't leave well enough alone. Had to bling it up. Lol
1589034565_12989870165eb6be4550c0c3.13755817.jpeg
1589034592_18401816745eb6be60c5e879.44810849.jpeg
1589034625_4953882625eb6be813f25e9.90799923.jpeg
Steve Corcoran stock with a special finish. Action is all original to the rifle. One of the ones I will never sell.

JC