• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Springer comparison ( 3 models)

I’m in the market for a mid tier QUALITY break barrel. I have narrowed down to 3 different rifles which are all quite different but will all be used for the same thing. Backyard targets out to 35 yards or so and pest birds. 

1.) Weihrauch HW 30s stainless .177 caliber and Beeman R7 in .177 

2.) Diana model 430l .177 caliber

3.) Diana RWS model 48 in .22 caliber

I understand there is powe differences and so on but I am looking at overall user experience with all or some of these rifles. Open to other considerations as well but I have PCPs and their great but I honestly would rather grab a break barrel most of the time for quick target or bird sessions. Serious input only, and noise is of no concern I have all the land and space I want. 

I’m not in the market for 500$ + costing rifles it’s just not in my budget right now, just in case you go to suggest a TX200 or something. 

I have no experience with the 430l but I’ve owned variants of the other 2. 

I fully get your desired need as the gun I grab most for anything is my tuned 10” barrel EL Gamo 300 in .177 tuned by John Thomas at 6-7 ft lbs depending on pellet. Weak, yes. Accurate? Hole in hole at 20 yards with old Benjamin Sheridan’s & JSB RS 7.33’s. The gun is just so small, balanced & easy to shoot off hand. Off my knees with a 6 mil dot 1.25x4x20 Leapers I was whacking Sparrows at 100 yards shooting uphill. On 4x holding for 7 miles & one to the left. Occasional hits are gratifying at that extreme distance.

The JT tuned 48 in .177 & many others in .177 & .22 were great but I admit I enjoy the tiny El Gamo 300 more. This has me wanting a tightened up HW30 in .177 mainly for the superior trigger the El Gamo’s can’t compete with.

If you are aware of a SS HW30 .177 at a good price I’d say go for it if 35 yards is your majority. I push all my air guns to learn wind & drop so yes, my 48 in .177 or a .22 you may buy would be easier at longer distances but it can be done with much less as I described above & Brits show us up with sub 12 ft lb rifles quite often.

Again, of most every modern day spring gun I grab the tiny lightest lowest powered one for out to 60 yards assuredly. I’m playing & practicing past that.

If you can tune, all the better as I’ve never seen a springer not benefit from a good tune, though I’ve never seen or shot a stock Whiscombe rifle.

I have an hw30/r7 and the accuracy suffers beyond 20 yards with mine, plus not much power. I even bought a new barrel for it with the same results which is an inch and a half at 25 yards. It is even tuned with vortex parts. I’ve owned three of them and all 3 had the same accuracy so won’t buy another. Just my 2 cents.

I’m curious if tuner claimed better? Tried different pellets? Pushed a good fitting one through breech out muzzle feeling for loose, tight spots? I have over 200 Swiss files and any barrel I’ve hand crowned shot way better if they weren’t squared or crowned right to begin with but 3 sounds beyond bad luck

I have a collection of HW30'S and R7's and out to 30 yards squirrels (probably birds too, but I don't have a problem with birds on my property so I don't shoot them) don't stand a chance. A good scope is as important to make those critical head shoots ( Hawke Airmax 4-12 x40....alittle over 200.oo is what I have on mine.) The accuracy and quietness of the HW30'S and R7's makes them great guns for backyard pesting.

Thanks guys, I know the low power and or youth rifles are what they are but I mainly reactive squirrel targets, spinners, and sparrows in my backyard all under 35 yards or so. I can stretch as far as I want really but that’s why I have PCPs. I guess I’m more concerned if the smaller guns are worth it or are they too lacking and should I just get a 12ftlb rifle or higher? I appreciate all the fees back 

The HW30/R7 is a must have if you like plinking and already have more powerful options around. The RWS 48 is going to be heavy, hard to cock and hard recoiling. The 430 is an interesting option for the price, but still hard to cock for the power level. I really like shooting my R7 with an aperture sight out to 30 yards or so, ran a tin through it the other day.

Update*

I forgot to add I’m a slight trigger snob :) and the more crisp and predictable the better. Now I’m no expert but Weirauch has one of the best springer triggers to my knowledge which is why I'm now heavily considering the Weihrauch HW50 in 22cal. Seems to be a nice middle ground. I'm thinking the more powerful heavier guns won't fit the bill as well. I say this because I have shot a lot of various quality springers but never owned one and a sub 12ftlb or otherwise known as “European laser beam” would probably fit my needs better than a magnum springer. After much thought the HW50S (that I didn’t know existed somehow) seems to add more power than the HW30S but not enough to bring it above that 12ftlbs making it less violent and hold sensitive. I know I know this all varies but in my experience it holds true, my dad has a Walther Terrus I shot yesterday and it’s a blast to shoot and it’s seemingly right on par with the HW50S as far as I’m concerned besides it being a Weirauch. All input and suggestions still being taken! 

Thanks guys, I know the low power and or youth rifles are what they are but I mainly reactive squirrel targets, spinners, and sparrows in my backyard all under 35 yards or so. I can stretch as far as I want really but that’s why I have PCPs. I guess I’m more concerned if the smaller guns are worth it or are they too lacking and should I just get a 12ftlb rifle or higher? I appreciate all the fees back

With a LOP of 14" the HW30 / R7 are not really "youth" sized rifles. They are light, yes. They are lower powered, yes. But they are accurate and fun to shoot. The HW 50 is another good choice but being harder to cock (especially for the power level they shoot) I would not consider it a gun I would shoot "all day". There's a reason you rarely see HW30'S and R7's for sale used. Good luck with whichever one you choose. 

Another nod for the HW30. Out of my 6 guns (3 PCPs & 3 Springers) it’s the only one I can say I will never sell. I’d be hard pressed to sell a couple others, but I wouldn’t say never. 

1554905184_5033865565cadf860a75e23.37811037_7CFC96E9-A694-4941-AE8C-47F035F44C59.jpeg

Wow beautiful rifle! 

Oddly enough I believe I will be looking for a HW50S and here are my reasonings:

1.) Cocking effort- Although not the easiest, certainly not the hardest.

2.) FPE- I really determined quickly I wanted a 12fpe rifle, especially after feeling the smoothness of a 12ftlb springer (my fathers Walther Terrus)

3.) Overall length- ( 40 1/2”)This is an odd one but I am obesssd with carbines, and although I’m aware it’s not one, the shorter look speaks to me.

4.) Brand- I don’t know what else to say but I didn’t pick a Gamo for a reason.

5.) Weight- The HW50S weighs in naked at 6.8lbs

6.) Trigger- I have never owned one, but I’m aware of the Rekord trigger reputation and I believe it’s around 3lbs on this rifle in most cases, plus the crispness is unmatched.

7.) Usage- I plan to plink at targets under 50 yards (mainly 35 and under) and shoot some sparrows here and there. All these factors listed above come into affect for this use which could be argued but it’s just my opinion. 

All this being said I want an economical high quality plinker with a great trigger and outstanding accuracy. This rifle seems to nail that on the head. Once I pull the trigger on a purchase I will do a follow up of how I feel about the rifle good or bad and if I think it met my expectations. I will be on the search in the classifieds and such so just in case anyone is selling one I will be posting a link in the proper thread for a LTB add. 

Thank you guys!

i almost pulled the trigger on that diana 430l combo at ags of az for $270 last night. i've never had an underlever that i have kept - so i'm trying to do that..... besides , 35 yards is about perfect for this model 430's power rating. a .22 diana 48 is a magnum (it'll fly rt thru the privacy fence) .. and a hw30 is more of a youth gun.......$208 for one at krale and the guys love 'em.... - cheers.