• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Springer Bench Rest That Really Works!

****** this is a 100% repost I found this online *******

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all, this is NOT my idea, I stole it from Slavia over on the AirGunHome Forum.... It was such a simple idea that I simply HAD to try it, and it worked like a charm.... This was the prototype, I have since made a more permanent one and I'll use it any time I want to test a springer from the bench, for example in finding the most accurate pellet....

SpringerBenchRestRoller.jpg

It is a small paint roller that can rotate on an axle.... The forearm of the springer is laid across the roller, and when the gun is fired, it is free to move fore and aft with the recoil.... I used my left hand under the butt, and held the gun lightly into my shoulder with my right hand which had a relaxed grip on the wrist of the stock.... I shot the two 10-shot groups inside at a distance of 20 feet, using H&N 14.7 gr. FTT pellets, which are the favourite of my B-26.... The results speak for themselves.... The top group was from sandbags, the lower group shot off the roller.... I'm convinced !!!

...and to think Joe, of all the money you spent on FWB300s when a Chinese BAM can shoot just as well (well, not quite!) off a paint roller!?

Actually, that's a pretty terrible group at 20 ft.(not even 7 yards) Joe has posted groups at over 7X that distance that were half the size.

and even little ol' me, with my Chinese Stoeger X20 can shoot that well at triple the distance.

All that is not to say it isn't a great idea. Just that using those groups to point to the the effectiveness of rig is not convincing. :D

OK I have thought of something before when I hear guys talking about letting the gun recoil . When I was a kid my Dad would tie a piece of cord between two tree limbs in his deer stand when we hunted the flat land in the panhandle . I saw him make some incredible long shots off just this one point to support the front of the gun . Of course shooting a gun off a little miniature swingset at the rifle range will surely draw a look or two :)