• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Springer advice

If you are shooting mostly from a bench then I can highly recommend the HW97k in .177. It is a fantastic rifle; but is also heavy. That weight though helps it shoot well off the bench. Mine is not overly hold sensitive and shoots well off of soft bags or off the hand with the “artillery hold”. I’m really happy with my HW97k.
Kenny

Depends on where you live. I live right near the Gulf of Mexico. Very breezy at the least. I prefer .22 caliber here. When I lived in Michigan I primarily shot the .177 caliber. The 177 is flatter shooting but much more erratic in the wind. When shooting 50-75 yards you will have to make elevation adjustments in either caliber. What difference does it make what those adjustments are??

edit: As far as cost I primarily shoot Crosman Premier Hollow Points. In .22 caliber about the same price as .177’s. If I want to spend more I get out the powder burners.

Hard to beat Krales pricing. They ship to CONUS in three to five days. I would suggest the HW95. Great rifle to suit your needs in either .177 or .22.

Depends on where you live. I live right near the Gulf of Mexico. Very breezy at the least. I prefer .22 caliber here. When I lived in Michigan I primarily shot the .177 caliber. The 177 is flatter shooting but much more erratic in the wind. When shooting 50-75 yards you will have to make elevation adjustments in either caliber. What difference does it make what those adjustments are??

edit: As far as cost I primarily shoot Crosman Premier Hollow Points. In .22 caliber about the same price as .177’s. If I want to spend more I get out the powder burners.
My HW95 .22 is about 2.5 MILLS holdover at 50 yards with a 25 yard zero. This is with 17 FPE average.
BLl9Xl6l.png

Reactions: Stephen0351
I prefer the .177 caliber for target shooting. As mentioned, the cost for bulk pellets are slightly better. Also, the range of weights and flatter trajectory are good characteristics. The downside when shooting outdoors is the effect wind can have. It doesn't take much of a breeze to push a shot off target at 50 yards. Having a good scope and usable reticle for holdover helps.
I like the .20 caliber but unfortunately the pellets are not always in stock. I think it's become the 25-06 or .260 of pellets. Highly capable and well regarded, but not commonly found.
As for rifles, some break barrel types are just as accurate as side and underlever. The average weight for these is about 9-10 lbs which helps dampen recoil and reduce hold sensitivity. If you later decide to shoot silhouette this can be a disadvantage. An advantage of the sidelever is the option to add a bipod. For my HW97 I use a porta-aim tripod rest that works well for target shooting. For the HW98 I prefer to shoot off a backpack with artillery hold.

Food for thought if you're gonna be shooting targets or critters with a springer at 50-75 yards, you ain't doing it (effectively) with cheap bulk pellets.

I think the HW95 family or HW97 is a great choice in either caliber. The 97 is better if you're bench bound.
Good point on the cheap ammo. I meant I can often purchase more quality pellets for an equivalent price of larger caliber pellets. As for bulk, sometimes retailers offer a buy 3 or 4 tins and get one free. I purchased Norma pellets at a big discount and still have some tins in stock.

My preference at said ranges is for the flatter 177. That's IF you don't have known distance markers. 22 is great if you have obvious range markers. That mitigates trajectory and gives you less wind drift. But you have to be able to rangefind within a yard or two if you're going to land a 700 fps 22 (or any caliber) pellet accurately past 50 yards.

Last edited:
Good point on the cheap ammo. I meant I can often purchase more quality pellets for an equivalent price of larger caliber pellets. As for bulk, sometimes retailers offer a buy 3 or 4 tins and get one free. I purchased Norma pellets at a big discount and still have some tins in stock.
I'm not familiar with Norma pellets. I can say that even expensive pellets are the cheapest and yet most important part of the accuracy equation. Especially compared to the airgun peripherals or powder burners. I don't mind spending one penny more per shot to hit what I'm aiming at.

I have had very good consistent accuracy with the H&N Field Target Trophies. I recommend .177 452 head size and .22 553 or 554 head sizes. Buy them by the sleeve for best results.
My HW97 shoots almost all pellets well but the FTT in 4.52 are among the best I've used. I had some leftover from a sampler pack. I ended up buying a couple sleeves.

I want to get a springer, for target shooting at the range and plinking, maybe some small game hunting in the future, but primarily for fun shooting. I would like some options on wether to get .177 or .22 ?
There are several rifles by Air Arms, Diana, and Weihrauch that will serve well as a target/small game rifle. BSA also has some good break barrel guns but at this time nobody is importing the Supersport. All of these companies make good guns that can be passed down. I still have a couple mid-80 Diana 45s that were sold under the Crosman label.