N/A Springer Accuracy?

I am shocked at how well my new hw97k is shooting already. I didn’t clean the barrel and am shooting 4.52 jsb 8.44 at 25 yards. 5 shot group. I prob have 50 rounds through it so I assume it’s broken in now! Getting used to the recoil vs pcp apparently too. I love this thing.

IMG_0863.jpeg

This is a very interesting question. I remember when I convinced my father to buy a RWS 48 and then RWS 350 thinking we would kill more squirrels than with our 880. Wrong. Combination of recoil and poor scope meant very disappointing “accuracy.” Take off the scope and use the rifle correctly, very accurate and repeatable with good ammo. That was 20 years ago. Technique and good equipment matter. Thanks for the discussion.

Reactions: Bear-of-Grayling
More like "perfesser" in this case. It just seems that we all desire a certain level of that precision. It varies with each of us. Real precision has eluded me. As a young buck, with 500 or more rounds fired a month I was good at instinct shooting. I could get a vitals shot off on a rabbit as my partners were hitting their safety. Still, to this day, precision eludes me as does a steady hold or being able to hear that bunny start to move. Hope I didn't come off as an eggspurt here. Be Well, Bandito.

Last edited:
More like "perfesser" in this case. It just seems that we all desire a certain level of that precision. It varies with each of us. Real precision has eluded me. As a young buck, with 500 or more rounds fired a month I was good at instinct shooting. I could get a vitals shot off on a rabbit as my partners were hitting their safety. Still, to this day, precision eludes me as does a steady hold or being able to hear that bunny start to move. Hope I didn't come off as an eggspurt here. Be Well, Bandito.
Was just a funny and “accurate “ comment

Keeping it real here's another page of 25 yard five shot springer groups. I pulled out of my shop garbage. I don't remember if I've posted this one already or what gun it was. I can tell the the bottom left was a pellet change and the scope was adjusted for the last four targets. Note the random flyer ruining the other four. Typical springer groups. Well at least mine. The red dots are 3/4".

20240410_141935.jpg

Last edited:
I love the cans. They’re decent to hit. I like cutting them in half. Every shot counts to do as few as possible.
‘Bean or mushroom can size. 30 yds. my best is 33. A piece has to drop. The last break is a challenge. View attachment 451296I count 10 out at a time. Good challenge for accuracy. Crow
I guess thats what they call opening a can of whoopass lol

Shooting springers at 100 yds is not what they are designed for Unless you like disappointment
$50 yds max you want longer ranges get a pcp
So a pcp shooting a 14g .22 at 850fps is better at a 100y then a good springer shooting a 14g .22 at 850fps? Aybe you mean a 20g slug at 1000 from a pcp .? I'm confused ..

Keeping it real here's another page of 25 yard five shot springer groups. I pulled out of my shop garbage. I don't remember if I've posted this one already or what gun it was. I can tell the the bottom left was a pellet change and the scope was adjusted for the last four targets. Note the random flyer ruining the other four. Typical springer groups. Well at least mine. The red dots are 3/4".

View attachment 454257
nice groups and at 25yards !

Reactions: Bear-of-Grayling
Hereis the thing one has to remember You can have a springier that will shot a 3/8” group at 30 yds and that is great.

BUT are you as the shooter capable of shooting gun up to that level ??

My brother will take my WH 97K .22 and at 30 yds his group is over a inch my group is most of the time 3/8”

So my advice get the best gun you can and work on shooting you may never get as good as others BUT you may also get better than your friends

Last edited:
Hereis the thing one has to remember You can have a springier that will shot a 3/8” group at 30 yds and that is great.

BUT are you as the shooter capable of shooting gun up to that level ??

My brother will take my WH 97K .22 and at 30 yds his group is over a inch my group is most of the time 3/8”

So my advice get the best gun you can and work on shooting you may never get as good as others BUT you may also get better than your friends

Problem is most of my friends shoot those 3/8, or smaller 30 yard groups with springers. But, we have made each other better shooters. The Indians are the limitations, not the arrows....Or bows.