N/A Springer Accuracy?

Target accuracy? Never really heard of it. Match accuracy yes. Target accuracy not really. In the powder burner world "Match" ammo is for shooting fine groups or competition. "Target" ammo is generally bulk low quality ammo for plinking or training.

As far as springers go I'm happy to stay under 2 MOA. Unfortunately too many of my 5 shot groups will have 3 or 4 closer to 1MOA and 1 or 2 that go well wide. Sometimes it's me, sometimes it's the gun and sometimes it's the pellet. It's frustrating to say the least.

Consistency is tougher for some guns than others. My HW50 isn't my smallest group shooter of my guns but it probably has the most predictable POI from the first cold shot to last. Some of my others will shoot half of their groups smaller than the 50 but the other half have wild flyers.

Here's a target sheet of 5 shot 50 yard groups from my 20 cal R9 in a light changing wind. The red dots are 3/4". A couple groups are respectable, some would have been without the flyers and some were terrible. Either way this is a pretty fair example of the inconsistent results I get from most springers. My 50 wouldn't shoot any better groups but the groups would all be close and have similar POIs. I still like the R9 and I might get more consistent results if I spent more time with it or stumbled into a better tin of pellets. All the stars have to align for me to get a page of good groups. That's springers.

20240331_080759.jpg

Target accuracy? Never really heard of it. Match accuracy yes. Target accuracy not really. In the powder burner world "Match" ammo is for shooting fine groups or competition. "Target" ammo is generally bulk low quality ammo for plinking or training.

As far as springers go I'm happy to stay under 2 MOA. Unfortunately too many of my 5 shot groups will have 3 or 4 closer to 1MOA and 1 or 2 that go well wide. Sometimes it's me, sometimes it's the gun and sometimes it's the pellet. It's frustrating to say the least.

Consistency is tougher for some guns than others. My HW50 isn't my smallest group shooter of my guns but it probably has the most predictable POI from the first cold shot to last. Some of my others will shoot half of their groups smaller than the 50 but the other half have wild flyers.

Here's a target sheet of 5 shot 50 yard groups from my 20 cal R9 in a light changing wind. The red dots are 3/4". A couple groups are respectable, some would have been without the flyers and some were terrible. Either way this is a pretty fair example of the inconsistent results I get from most springers. My 50 wouldn't shoot any better groups but the groups would all be close and have similar POIs. I still like the R9 and I might get more consistent results if I spent more time with it or stumbled into a better tin of pellets. All the stars have to align for me to get a page of good groups. That's springers.

View attachment 450869
Don't forget about wind. I doubt most springer guys are shooting with 3+ wind flags setup on their range. With a 12ftlb .177 pellet, at 30yds, even a very light 1mph wind will push that pellet 0.2" in either direction. That is about a 1.3 moa margin for error that we are judging based on feel/grass/whatever without flags.

Hey BoG,
I don't compete or hunt with my Springers, just tune/re-finish/shoot them to have fun :).
If I can consistently get a quarter sized group (<1") at 50 yards ..... I'm tickled(y).
If I can hit 1-3mm dots in my 12 yards crawlspace, I'm happy.

I don't care for the heavier, Match springers because of weight/lack of manageability.
Shooting in the same hole gets boring, especially if the gun is a tank or unorthodox to use.

My RAW's require me go out to 100 yards, before their predictability resembles a Springer.

Springers make me think about my technique every time out ...... there's rarely a free lunch.

Last edited:
Here are 2 groups from guns that I consider "target accurate" or as it was better stated, "match accurate". The first one is my sub 12fpe HW97K. 11 shots total were under 2 moa. That one low flubbed shot (the reason I took 11) ruined a 10 shot 1.3 moa, 0.4" group. Could have been me or a bad pellet as I was just pulling from the tin. Who knows and honestly it doesn't matter. Either way I call this springer match accurate because it literally gets used to shoot FT matches and even with that bad shot its still 11 on the KZ at that range usually. Plus it even beats some $4k Hunter class PCPs often enough so it deserves the title of "match accurate" in my books.

20240331_130030.jpg

This second group I shot just because I love this gun and I haven't shot it in a week or two. Its my 24fpe .20 Theoben Eliminator. This gun I do concider match accurate BUT I dont consider it a match gun at this point. It isn't really all that hold sensative but it is VERY trigger sensative. That trigger gets pulled wrong and the shot can go anywhere. It did beat my match gun though by quite a bit!

20240331_130039.jpg

All 5 shots measured 0.31" which is sub MOA at 30yds. 4/5 of those landed inside a 0.13" group which is 0.42 MOA. I'm bringing that up because it kind of proves MyCapt's point. Rare amazing groups happen but they really can't be used to say what is "normal" for even a match gun. I posted 2x good groups but here's the rest of the page:

20240331_133652.jpg

The green numbers are my 97K. Some great groups, some not so great groups. They were shot this morning when it was fairly gusty out and my range is not great for wind. I have a house on one side, trees on the other and the wind just funnels through and does whatever it wants in between. With only one flag/ribbon at the target (probably the worst place for it) pellets can go anywhere if you aren't really paying attention.

Edit: Lazered my target. Its actually closer to 33yds so the groups are about 10% better than I thought. Every little bit counts I guess.

Last edited:
Springer or PCP, makes no difference to me as I always hit what I aim at.

Hold a springer like a sledgehammer death grip and you ain't hitting a thing. TRUTH!
Maybe you should stop aiming at barns ? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😎

Hope you take this as a joke .

Maybe you should stop aiming at barns ? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😎

Hope you take this as a joke .
I truly laughed out loud.

My brother's boy is a police officer and both he and I have tried endlessly to teach my brother how to shoot a pistol. My brother is a big game hunter and he don't miss, he always brings home the meat. I always joke and walk out 30 paces with my 1911 45 ACP and tell him, now aim at the barn and see if you can hit that first. HaHaHa

I love my 48 and my HW97KT......

Do I need to purchase a TX200? I just might as I love them springers.
you will never regret buying a TX200 , i have two wonderful guns , mine are tuned to 11.5 and 10.2 FPE in .177 can shoot all day and night with either and spot on target. It almost seems illegal to hunt squirrels.

Last edited:
you will never regret buying a TX200 , i have two wonderful guns , mine are tuned to 11.5 and 10.2 FPE in .177 can shoot all day and night with either and spot on target.
TX200 is so easy to work on as well......I've never seen one up close but by reading the forum and the pictures, it is a must have for me to own.

If it keeps me "entertained" it is sufficiently accurate. I'm just getting back into it. Years ago my best group was five shots .11" at about 22-23 yards with a Watts tuned R7. Another "entertaining day" was "fly hunting"-got three and a possible fourth with the .22 LGV. Flies still speak of that day-the horror, the horror! My faithful and thoughtful dogs supplied the "incentive" to land on the white paper target-much to their regret. That springer on that day was sufficiently "accurate" for several hours. :cool:

Unless the discussion is referring to a “Match Springer” as in a Feinwerkbau 300, Diana 75, possibly a Weihrauch 55, or the like, it seems to me the word “Target and Springer” are a contradiction of terms. Yet this term is used quite often with springers that shoot quarter and larger size groups at mere 20 yards. I guess I’m old school but “Target Accuracy” once meant a single hole in the dead center of a bull at 10 meters. Just wondering if I didn’t get the memo. What does “Target Accuracy” with a springer mean to yall?
Target vs Pesting?

My TX200 MKIII in .177 is 0.75" to 0.50" pretty consistently in decent weather with sorted and lubed pellets at 50-yards. This is what I would expect from a springer. I don't shoot 20 yards very often. I shoot 50-feet which is 16.6 yards.

I expect about this:

17119191413017292154710934371844.jpg
I expect this occasionally.

17119192085408540817450026175815.jpg