N/A Springer Accuracy?

I can sometimes shoot MOA at 25 yards BUT not always. This may help with MOA calc.

One MOA Calculation (Note, MOA = minute of angle).

This is how you can determine the one MOA for any target.
  • Determine the distance or range to this target.
  • Convert this number to inches or centimeters for metric.
  • Double this number. (Diameter of a circle at this target distance or range).
  • Use Pi, 3.14159 times the number in step 3. (Circumference of a circle is Pi x D).
  • Divide this number by 21,600. (Note 21,600 is the number of minutes in a circle, 360 degrees times 60 minutes in one degree).
This number is the one MOA in inches, or centimeters if used, for this distance or range to the target. (Group shots are measured center to center).
Example:
  • 100 yards to target.
  • 100 times 3’ times 12” equal 3600” to the 100 yard target.
  • 3600” x 2 equal 7200”. (Diameter of 100 yard circle in inches).
  • Pi 3.14159 times 7200” equal 22,619.448”. (Circumference of 100 yard circle).
  • 22,619.448” divided by 21,600 = 1.04719”. (One MOA at 100 yards in inches).
This number is usually rounded to 1” for one MOA at 100 yards. The one MOA equal 1” is an ARC measurement and not a straight line as it is a very small section, 1” of the overall circle circumference at 100 yards.

A trivia note, one MOA on the moon is about 69.5 miles, 111.85 Kilometers! (238,900 miles, 384,472.28 Kilometers to the moon).

I can sometimes shoot MOA at 25 yards BUT not always. This may help with MOA calc.

One MOA Calculation (Note, MOA = minute of angle).

This is how you can determine the one MOA for any target.
  • Determine the distance or range to this target.
  • Convert this number to inches or centimeters for metric.
  • Double this number. (Diameter of a circle at this target distance or range).
  • Use Pi, 3.14159 times the number in step 3. (Circumference of a circle is Pi x D).
  • Divide this number by 21,600. (Note 21,600 is the number of minutes in a circle, 360 degrees times 60 minutes in one degree).
This number is the one MOA in inches, or centimeters if used, for this distance or range to the target. (Group shots are measured center to center).
Example:
  • 100 yards to target.
  • 100 times 3’ times 12” equal 3600” to the 100 yard target.
  • 3600” x 2 equal 7200”. (Diameter of 100 yard circle in inches).
  • Pi 3.14159 times 7200” equal 22,619.448”. (Circumference of 100 yard circle).
  • 22,619.448” divided by 21,600 = 1.04719”. (One MOA at 100 yards in inches).
This number is usually rounded to 1” for one MOA at 100 yards. The one MOA equal 1” is an ARC measurement and not a straight line as it is a very small section, 1” of the overall circle circumference at 100 yards.

A trivia note, one MOA on the moon is about 69.5 miles, 111.85 Kilometers! (238,900 miles, 384,472.28 Kilometers to the moon).
So my 50 foot 16 yard target is 0.1676 inch MOA . cool and i shoot mostly .177 talk about single hole shots , at least easy to score .
and the thirty yard challenge card is .3145 moa . Maybe bump the 30 yard card up to 3 shots per bull ?
ok 5:12 pm Sunday have to give this a try . YEEHA ( is this the correct spelling ?)
Stan in KY.

Last edited:
My TX200 MKIII in .177 is 0.75" to 0.50" pretty consistently in decent weather with sorted and lubed pellets at 50-yards. This is what I would expect from a springer. I don't shoot 20 yards very often. I shoot 50-feet which is 16.6 yards.
So I really would like my TX200 to shoot at my S510 level of accuracy at 30 yards. And you're not the first one of the experienced shooters here to mention "sorted and lubed". And I know there is a thread or two about this, but I see no "best practice" or even significant commonality to know which lube to try. I assume "sorted" means by weight, and that is simple enough. I am willing and able to try different lubes (and weights and pellets) to come to my own conclusions, but knowing what some of the masters use would be helpful...Thanks!

So I really would like my TX200 to shoot at my S510 level of accuracy at 30 yards. And you're not the first one of the experienced shooters here to mention "sorted and lubed". And I know there is a thread or two about this, but I see no "best practice" or even significant commonality to know which lube to try. I assume "sorted" means by weight, and that is simple enough. I am willing and able to try different lubes (and weights and pellets) to come to my own conclusions, but knowing what some of the masters use would be helpful...Thanks!

Here is how I weight sort. I have not found getting finer improved things.

The AA pellets are pretty consistent for head size. Mine likes 4.52mm.

Everyone has a favorite lube. I stand my pellets up and do a light spray with Beeswax.

17119257555672662170119365312584.jpg

On the advice of David Slade I quit lubing pellets. I really never saw much or any difference. The pellet gauges seem pretty crude to me , mine gathers dust. I do sort by weight for matches lately and have got back on a win streak since .

Weight has been the thing making the greatest impact for me as well. My testing suggests a small help with lube, but my testing is limited and any result could easily be accounted for as placebo. 🤔

Lube does seem to keep the rifle barrel cleaner, but that could be a placebo as well!

I am curious as well. This is a typical 5 shot group from my impact at 25 yards but I have a tuned hw97k coming. View attachment 451173
I think you'll see a few groups like that at 25 yards. Maybe not typical, but certainly not unusual either. I've shot lots of sub MOA groups at 50 yards with my TX200 and HW95. I can't count on them to do it consistently though. With a springer it's just a lot easier to shoot a flier.

Last edited:
I have 9 airguns. One is a springer. I kind of have a rotation, but I admit, I havnt nailed down something with it.... not sure what. Could be hold, could be technique. I've got a HW50, and it is VERY accurate, that I am sure. Just every time I pull it out, I have to adjust the sights. I have recently started storing it with the breech open. Maybe that will help?
Along with stock screws, if its a factory HW50 and it hasn't been shot a lot then its likely burning off excess lube still.

I am curious as well. This is a typical 5 shot group from my impact at 25 yards but I have a tuned hw97k coming.
I shoot at 55 yards most of the time.I have spinners from dime to dollar sized. I try and check accuracy first thing in the morning before the wind picks up. I can usually hit the quarter sized spinners. The dime sized spinners give me the most grief of course. I figure a quarter sized target is the size of a starlings head. I can usually get four out of five hits from a front bag rest position.

One of the biggest tips for long range accuracy on a springer is to have a soft slippery cloth wrapped around the front bag. This lets the rifle ride the bag. I use a light hold and let the rifle "do its thing" on the bag.

I also "accidentally" spill some bird seed to encourage starlings, HOSPs, cowbirds and grackles to get some free food. Their damn heads move a lot! Very challenging!

When I go to the range I make sure to have a soft cloth on both bags. The goal is to let the rifle recoil backwards and forwards without any hindrance. Try the soft cloth trick, it really helps my springer accuracy!

Weight has been the thing making the greatest impact for me as well. My testing suggests a small help with lube, but my testing is limited and any result could easily be accounted for as placebo. 🤔

Lube does seem to keep the rifle barrel cleaner, but that could be a placebo as well!
If nothing else this post makes feel better about my recent Springer groups I have been working to improve. I tried a recent experiment with washing and lubing of ammo to see if that helped. Same pellets for consistancy in testing. 1 target straight out of the can, 1 just washed and dried, 1 washed and lubed. The dirty unlubed pellets shots the best groups for me....

If nothing else this post makes feel better about my recent Springer groups I have been working to improve. I tried a recent experiment with washing and lubing of ammo to see if that helped. Same pellets for consistancy in testing. 1 target straight out of the can, 1 just washed and dried, 1 washed and lubed. The dirty unlubed pellets shots the best groups for me....
Same here. I shoot my pellets right out of the tin. 90% of my shooting is soup cans. A miss by 1/2 an inch or more still a hit😀. They get really challenging towards the end. 😎

IMG_1816.jpeg

Same here. I shoot my pellets right out of the tin. 90% of my shooting is soup cans. A miss by 1/2 an inch or more still a hit😀. They get really challenging towards the end. 😎

View attachment 451240
I have strings attached to an old sawhorse, with S hooks on the end so I can easily hang soda cans by the pull tab. Sometimes they get so shot up, that what you thought was a hit causes no movement. Probably shooting through the can full of holes without atually hitting in.

View attachment 451240
I love the cans. They’re decent to hit. I like cutting them in half. Every shot counts to do as few as possible.
‘Bean or mushroom can size. 30 yds. my best is 33. A piece has to drop. The last break is a challenge.
IMG_8298.jpeg
I count 10 out at a time. Good challenge for accuracy. Crow

View attachment 451240
Poor ol tin can probably done more for shooting enjoyment then anything else combined . Glass bottle maybe 2ed?