N/A Springer accuracy question

I recently bought a R9 .22 and when i first started shooting it I was lucky to hit an 1 1/2 square consistently at 76 feet. I start doing some research and no doubt i was holding the gun like a PCP resulting in the poor groups. I started using a front bag and barely holding on to the gun and I started getting some great groups, very pleased. My R9 has a fair amount of recoil. My question is, I see where occasionally someone will list a springer that has had some work done to it and in the listing it says "no recoil or maybe very little recoil." Will these guns be easier to shoot accurately? Can they be held more like a PCP and get good results?? Just trying to educate myself more regarding springers.

This should be good to watch. There's a lot of different opinions on this. Recoil in a springer is the result of accelerating and decelerating internal mass. There's no such thing as a recoiless springer. Felt recoil can be reduced by a number of ways. Sometimes a mild reduction in power can improve accuracy by reducing the speed of the internal parts. Adding weight or sled systems to a stock can reduce felt recoil. The recoil is still there just dampened to the shooter.

Twang or spring noise that is prevalent in many springers can be eliminated by different tuning methods. Some say their rifles are more accurate after this tuning. Others will say spring noise doesn't affect accuracy. I'll only say that I enjoy shooting any gun more after reducing twang. If only I enjoy it more I may use it more and get better with it.

There's a million things that affect springer accuracy. Welcome to the madness.
Ymmv

Learning to shoot a springer accurately is a science in itself due to the reverse recoil. ( Gliss and contra systems don't count). yes, to the artillery hold. Even there it depends a bit on the particular unit. Stock fit comes into play. I have a Gamo unit, bone cruncher or some such name. I am reasonably proficient with it. Say about 1/2 minute of Starling at 30 yards, offhand. Shooting a springer from rest can be maddening, if you kind of use a modified artiilery hold where you hand holds the forend while resting said hand on rest top works a bit better. I think each person develops thier own unique way of dealing with these.

Last edited:
They are all different, and you have to shoot each one a few different ways to figure out the correct combination for each individual rifle.
Start with the basic artillery hold, and modify as it suits you and the rifle.

Have fun pulling your hair out! ;)
QUOTE "They are all different, and you have to shoot each one a few different ways to figure out the correct combination for each individual rifle".

Kinda like ladies.

Gal's are all different, and you have to treat each one in a few different ways to figure out the correct combination for each individual lady.

Reactions: drpietrzak
Something else to consider is a set of rings with a recoil stop pin or screw. My first two springers, an HW98 and HW50S both initially had accuracy problems for me. Despite having good quality rings torqued down to the proper specs, the scopes on both guns would creep backward with each shot. Sportsmatch rings with a built in stop solved the problem with the 50S, and a separate recoil stop block fixed the 98.

Reactions: beerthief
No, different beast, PCP is not very hold sensitive, but springer can be very.
Get used to it first, you will get better. The tune kits do help, but your springer will still be hold-sensitive, just not as much.
You state you are resting it on a front bag, there is no hold there,just put in at the same spot,rest the R-9 on the bag,just use a little side force, no down force....the rifle rests on your shoulder with a slight pull into your shoulder,you can adjust these "holds"to suit you and your rifle.
Remember to "follow through" and do not pull your shot, remain in the firing position until the pellet is on the way to the target.
Basic skills are learned; Use a heavyweight pellet to calm the firing cycle..
I say do All these things First, before putting a tuning kit in your rifle..
The fun of a springer is that it is"Alive"!!

Reactions: beerthief
As said above, PCP is quite insensitive at hold.
Springer is. The more the recoil the longer the lock time the more so. A recoilless R9 is hard to imagine or better impossible to attain. Recoil can be reduced by reducing the piston weight. And the impression of lower recoil can be attained by a) reducing piston weight b) reducing lock time.
Reducing lock time at a certain piston weight can be achieved by a stronger mainsspring or increasing pretension. This doesn't reduce the recoil but its degrading impact.
The worst and most hold sensitive springer has a heavy piston, long stroke and a small mainspring.
Artillery hold: The point of a gun being hold sensitive is, that the pellets fly around depending on how and where the gun is supported. So the gun must be held always the same way. The easiest way to do so is the artillery hold. No press, no weight, just let it rest on its center of weight and pull the trigger with minimum effort
This is why the trigger pull may have a huge degrading effect on accuracy, when it's too heavy or inconsistent

Last edited:
Reactions: bustachip
I started out shooting my TX200 in .177 supported with a front rest and rear bag just like you would shoot a regular powder burner. Many thousands of pellets later after 2 years of shooting almost every day I have ended up with this. Front rest top back under the rear of the loading port. Butt sitting in a rear rabbit rear bag. No shoulder or face just very ,very light touching the pistol grip while touchimgnthe 5 oz trigger. I shot a lot indoors at either 20 meters or 25 yards. Any group,even approaching the size of a dime is bad .lots of groups. 1 or under c2c. On the other had my Diana 54 in .22 is a completely different animal .Front rest about 4 inches in from end of stock, butt in rabbit ear bag, firm grip with both hands on the stock, medium shoulder and cheek pressure. About like I would shoot a deer rifle. One hole groups at 25 yrs,. 5 at 50, 1.25 to 3.0 at 100 yards. The Tx for tiniest groups but I really enjoy shooting the 54 more. You must experiment and be patient. Pure artillery hold did not work for what I want to do. Tx is defined, 54 is not. Both started life by going to John Thomas in York, Pa. Added Hectors tuner to the 54 and it was the final touch. I am a tuner guy, have used them for close 20 years on my PB benchrest rifles. I am not a crony guy, I have a dusty Lab Radar. I go by target results.