Springer 50-foot Challenge Anyone?

A Springer 50-foot challenge anyone? Just for fun, using and honor system here with nothing on the line here save bragging.

As it is hitting winter here in my part of the USA shooting, for me, will move more indoors. Our indoor range is set up for 50 feet (16.6 yards). I generally shoot 50-foot USA/NRA 50 targets (or 8.5 x11 practice versions). I was curious if there were others who do similarly and would be interested in a 50-foot challenge event? It would be similar to the 30-yard and 50-yard challenges for operation. I do not shoot big bore so I am not sure how fitting this is for it.

Class Breakouts

Caliber: .177, .20, .22 (Best edge scored using a .22 pellet or plug, “X” totally covers “dot”) Big Bore (Best edge scored using pellet, “X” totally covers “dot”)

Optics: Open sights (no optics) Optics (Any scope and any power)

Position: Bench (Any rest style) Standing (No rests, just cling)

Setting: Indoors Outdoors

Others desired breakouts?
Price Range (MSRP - Under $200 USA, $200 to $499, $500 or higher)?
Age (Under 17, 17-62, 62 over)?

Example scored target and difference in a 9 or 10.

Scored target.
20221114_114409.jpg
20221114_155547.jpg

Score 10

20221114_114304.jpg

Score 9

20221114_114239.jpg

Target

Any interest in this?

View attachment USA_NRA Practice 50ft 2006.pdf

View attachment USA_NRA Practice 50ft 2006.pdf

Last edited:
First card, not too bad I’ll take it for Irons View attachment 305694there’s room for improvement though
OK I made a mistake scoring this target it’s actually an 80 2nd one down on the right is an eight and not a nine. Not being smart enough to figure out how to delete this I posted a new one on the main thread

Reactions: drpietrzak
Stopped raining so i whipped out the tape and did what i could but too much wind rocking me to hold ( excuse, excuses 😉).

Too hard. (Nonofficial) gamo.22cphp.

gamo50foot.jpg

wind.jpg

I tried on offical, lol.. running back and forth to fix the wind spun around target was getting old ..
Anyway try #2.

windblown.png

gamo.22cphp50foot.jpg

Last edited:
Ya, he's doing good on open sight. (Imho). Hopefully by Saturday i can get out and get pellets for the R9 it will be shot irons as well.. the pistol pellets dont do good in it. But unk gives a good somthing to shoot for being irons i can compare/ compete to. Maybe make me try harder ...🤔

Anyway reshot that target above after lunch and cooking brownies ( with walnuts and marshmallows) to see if it had any consistency or poi change.

Not too bad i guess? ( Kinda wished i hung fresh)

gamo50'2.jpg

Reactions: drpietrzak
Well tried the r9 using daisy flathead ( $3 plastic boxed) on stock irons started raining again so had to cut it short .. picked a good weather time for me to start this...lol

R9 opensight daisy flatnose .177

r9,irons,50', daisy wadcutters.177.jpg

Well stopped raining long enough to finish that paper and put things away proper. First shot bad flyer or was looking at somthing other than the bullseye?

r9daisyflathead50'finishup.jpg

r9daisy.jpg

Last edited:
I had time today to try this challenge myself. While I have shot the distance and targets before I have never scored "X's" or used .22 caliber plugs for scoring.

I was shooting :

TX200 Mk III
CenterPoint 6x20 Optic at 20
AA Field Heavy Pellets (Weight Sorted and Lubed)
Indoors
From a bench using a Caldwell bag (center mass)

I shot 5 Cards. Scores ranges from 89 (2x), 92 (0x), 94 (4x) and the high of 99 (5x). I have the rig and virgin cards along with teh scored card.

Closeup.jpgPellets.jpgRange.jpgScored99.jpgVirgin.jpg

I also have a video of the worst and best of the targets being shot.

Nice! Can you let me know the score?
(97/96??) ??? Like there's no numbers to go by . Your card download so ill trust you account. Im not into scores unless theres cash, prizes or trophy's.😜

Tally it up best you can and ill call it good . If it sucks then i got somthing to shoot to better .😉 Im sure that picture clear enough to see.

Went out in the cold with my good glasses and calculator if i count the line splitters to the+ is 99 if to the - its 97

No "x". That gamo cat trigger dont allow that.

Last edited:
I edited above but 97 is fine to me... Heck 78 would be as well . The line splitters and .22 holes kinda ripps a chunk..

Lol.. like you say the dot is 10 but your example took out everything to the 8 + off right so its then a 9.. i dont know man .. just helping kerp your lunch hread alive. I staryed one like it gee years back and still crickets churpping. With post as " well nobody shoot springers like that here" or pcp jazz... Not much non pcp goings on . Like unk above doing irons on a springer . Sombody to compare to and maybe make me tighten my belt a notch .

Last edited: