N/A Spring Press

Here is mine.

Screenshot_20240409_091451_Samsung Internet~2.jpg

I us the bar clamp on break barrel

I had made a clamp on dovetail one ( like the air venturi 100$ thing) from a old scope mount . Sady no pictures of it to show but worked on fixed barrel like underlevers .. it was a one piece mount ,1" pipe or bar to fit snug in the rings and a drop block and screw to compress. Only thing is with it it's best to set the spring to releave the most preload / distance ..

th-3515224472.jpg

I had a nice Sun spring compressor that I sold when I got into PCPs and swore off springers. Of course I inevitably got back into springers and I am rebuilding more than I ever have. I use nothing but a bar clamp now. Just buy it long enough for any Rifle and slide it down to pistol size. I have never felt the need for any thing fancy.

IMG_1325.png

I had a nice Sun spring compressor that I sold when I got into PCPs and swore off springers. Of course I inevitably got back into springers and I am rebuilding more than I ever have. I use nothing but a bar clamp now. Just buy it long enough for any Rifle and slide it down to pistol size. I have never felt the need for any thing fancy.

View attachment 453921
I use the exact same one, just stick your punch in somewhere to stop the spring half way out, reset the clamp and you're all good.

Reactions: .20calguy
The wood and sawed off C clamp spring compressors seem to be the most common. The c clamp is nice because you can unscrew it really fast. The threaded rod types take a lot of turning. It don’t really take much screw pressure to get the job done. If you can weld and drill and tap holes you can get really creative with a compressor. I made an air venturi style spring compressor with scrap metal and a couple old 1” scope rings. The Google machine comes up with a lot of photos of spring compressors also.
IMG_2656.jpeg

The wood and sawed off C clamp spring compressors seem to be the most common. The c clamp is nice because you can unscrew it really fast. The threaded rod types take a lot of turning. It don’t really take much screw pressure to get the job done. If you can weld and drill and tap holes you can get really creative with a compressor. I made an air venturi style spring compressor with scrap metal and a couple old 1” scope rings. The Google machine comes up with a lot of photos of spring compressors also.View attachment 454111
I like the looks of that one. Looks quite a bit like the one at Pyramyd Air, and should be very easy to replicate.

I like the looks of that one. Looks quite a bit like the one at Pyramyd Air, and should be very easy to replicate.
For alignment and safety purposes I milled a flat on the back side of the threaded rod post. It allows the set screw to clock the threaded rod and won’t allow it to rotate.
IMG_2660.jpeg

Last edited:
The wood and sawed off C clamp spring compressors seem to be the most common. The c clamp is nice because you can unscrew it really fast. The threaded rod types take a lot of turning. It don’t really take much screw pressure to get the job done. If you can weld and drill and tap holes you can get really creative with a compressor. I made an air venturi style spring compressor with scrap metal and a couple old 1” scope rings. The Google machine comes up with a lot of photos of spring compressors also.View attachment 454111
I never would have thought of using scope mounts? I've repaired more than a few spring rifles and never needed one of these "spring jigs" but, I can sure see this would make things easier and safer. Course threaded rod is easy and cheap to find however, the fine thread is a better choice in my opinion...

Real easy to build! I'm going to pull out the Mig and build a couple.

I never would have thought of using scope mounts? I've repaired more than a few spring rifles and never needed one of these "spring jigs" but, I can sure see this would make things easier and safer. Course threaded rod is easy and cheap to find however, the fine thread is a better choice in my opinion...

Real easy to build! I'm going to pull out the Mig and build a couple.
Make three, I’ll take one.

Reactions: .20calguy
I would not trust milled 11 mm slots to hold my gun safely. SORRY ,IF it’s worked for you but it’s not the safest design.. your not working on bigger powered guns for sure.. Dont get your self upset ,it’s only an opinion and they are still valid. Not looking for proof or debate. It’s just not how I would do it.
I think that you are correct. However if a scope rail was used, I think it would be safe.

I would not trust milled 11 mm slots to hold my gun safely. SORRY ,IF it’s worked for you but it’s not the safest design.. your not working on bigger powered guns for sure.. Dont get your self upset ,it’s only an opinion and they are still valid. Not looking for proof or debate. It’s just not how I would do it.
I admit I'm nowhere near your skill level but how can you tell the rings used are 11mm dovetail mounts?

The Air Venturi Rail lock system works on a 11mm dovetail and only has one clamp to hold whereas scope mounts have two clamping spots. The flaw I see with the Venturi unit is, there is no way to adjust the height so, on some rifles it would push at an angle.

The bottom line is every spring compressor pictured above gets the job done. We are only dealing with preloaded springs and not fully compressed springs here folks. I built my compressor to be a height adjustable version of the Air Venturi. Each 5mm (thread diameter) rail clamp screw on my compressor provides well over 500 pounds of clamping force when torqued to only 20 inch pounds and more torque can be applied if needed. If I thought that wasn’t enough I could add more scope rings or use rings with more screws. Does anyone know how many pounds of preload most springers have?