Spring Piston vs. Gas Ram: Which is Your Preferred Powerplant?

As airgun enthusiasts, we've all experienced the distinct characteristics that different powerplants bring to the table. Today, let's focus on Spring Piston and Gas Ram systems.

Spring Piston airguns have been around for quite a while, and many swear by their tried-and-true technology. Meanwhile, Gas Ram (or Gas Piston) airguns bring a new flavor to the mix, with claims of greater consistency and lesser recoil.

Let's dive deeper:

1. Do you have a preferred powerplant between Spring Piston and Gas Ram, and why?
  2. What are the main differences you've noticed in terms of shooting experience between these two systems?
  3. Do you find one or the other to be more reliable or durable in the long run?
  4. Which brands/models stand out for each powerplant?
  5. How do the maintenance requirements differ, in your experience?
Looking forward to your insights.

Spring piston. More tunable and more reliable. I have never shot a gas ram that outshot my better coil spring guns and I really don't expect to. I hear the Sig ASP was pretty solid as far as magnum gas rams go but I've never had the pleasure to try one.
This. I prefer my coil springs....

I know I can fix them down the road..however my Sig ASP 20 is a laser of a gun and has a clean cycle....

I'll happily add I have well north of 25,000 rounds down range with my asp20 and still performs as new....

Reactions: Deerstalker
I use both. The ram poi changing woth the weather aint the best especially if its good cold in the morning but heats up in the afternoon.. i dont suffer that much with a spring gun.. also the tam gun seems harder on a scope fresh new .. but.... Each can bist any scope at any time.

Most rams are sealed and it's what it is where like said above you can "tune" the spring.

I realy dont mind either they each got there points , but i lean more to spring overall. I guess it's a 50/50 and your own experience with each in the end .

Steel springs for me too because of their simplicity, reliability, longevity and ease of service. I typically get 10k-30k shots on a spring and they are cheap and easy to replace. My spring inventory will easily keep me and the next two generations shooting happily.

My only experience with a gas ram was a Gamo ‘whisper’ and that gun was an overpowered joke. Accuracy was poor and it was louder than any of my steel spring guns.

There must be a good reasons why HW and AA, and virtually all competitive shooters, prefer steel springs over gas rams.

At this point, I think the only high quality gas ram still being produced is the hw90. I would certainly like to give one a try, but by reputation they seem to be an acquired taste with a relatively narrow fan base.

R

I have a few Theoben gas ram guns...they are accurate and reliable if they were set up correctly from the start...they are fun to shoot but my HW97s can shoot rings around them...more to do with the trigger groups than the power plants...for day to day shooting just give me a good spring piston...for serious hobbyists a gas ram could be interesting...I would counsel to stay away from the high Power Magnums ones in any event...with the quility of Air arms TXs and HW's and some others no reason to fool with a gas ram unless for a collection. I'm a big fan of HW97's.
20230315_142403.jpg

I own and have owned many of both springer and gas ram. I enjoy both and as far as the Theobengas rams are concerned...in my opinion they can be tuned more easily than a spring in as much as the power output is concerned. My Theobens all had adjustable rams simply by affixing a pump/adapter to the gas valve (no disassembly required) and either raising or lowering the air pressure in the ram. Very simple & very easy. Springs can also be adjusted ie you change out the spring or add washers, etc. (requires disassembly of the action). I might add that disassembly of the spring guns is a little less involved that a gas ram gun but both are pretty easy - again my opinion. Once you learn how to shoot either type of airgun they both can be very accurate but I believe Mr. RM100GUY probably has more experience with an HW97 than most of us. I think that Russ sleeps with his. Haha, just kidding Russ. I treasure my Theobens more than the spring guns because of the build quality, rarity, etc but I also treasure my springuns as well. Even though I don't now own a large collection what I do have are very very nice. I'm very fortunate.

I prefer springers but from a technical perspective the gas rams should be better. Gas rams can certainly leak and change POI based on temperature, but if they are designed correctly they can produce less vibration, never fatigue like a spring and produce more power. That said, almost none of the manufacturers have optimized their gas rams to take advantage of these superior properties. In fact they have sold them as a gimmick while making them as cheaply as possible, thus destroying their advantages.

Because of their faster lock times and the fact that they can function in a backwards configuration which puts all of the weight on the ram stem, it's possible to build a gas ram rifle that pound for pound produces more power with less vibration and recoil than a springer. Unfortunately, most manufacturers use it as an interchangeable replacement for a spring, failing to optimize their designs.

If Theoben had access to modern simulation software they probably would have perfected it eventually, but todays gas rams are designed as cheap throwaway rifles.

-Marty

My first rifle I bought was a HW90 .25, the gun from hell. Out of box you needed assistance to jack it. Breathe on the trigger and it went off. I hated the gun. Bought several springers and watched dust accumulate on the 90.
On this forum a member JayJay did a write up on the 90. Blew me away, bought another 90 .20 cal. with pump and gauge. All sat for 1/2 year and another member Froggy raved about his 90 on my post, gave me the drive to try again. Changed the bar on my 90’s to 18. Holy Sniper. And the trigger you blow on, gone now an awesome trigger. Did nothing.
I really enjoy working on springers. I can’t deny the 90’s. The sounds they make when jacking are different and really cool. They’re as accurate as my springers. You can easily change the power in minutes with pump. Crow

This. I prefer my coil springs....

I know I can fix them down the road..however my Sig ASP 20 is a laser of a gun and has a clean cycle....

I'll happily add I have well north of 25,000 rounds down range with my asp20 and still performs as new....

Ditto on the Sig. I own several higher end springers that share residence with a pair of Sigs (.22cal) and various Pcp's. They are the ones I usually reach for as my quick go-to rifles. Quick shot cycle, and crazy accuracy.

Reactions: Glenroiland
I have a few springers. I love shooting them and tinkering with them now that I sort of have a grip on them.

A couple of years ago I bought a lightly used 20 cal RX1 (HW90) that I struggled with to get right. I was at my wits end with the thing because much of the information on the net at the time was wrong. I finally got the gun sorted out and it shot great. Unfortunately a few weeks later the fixed detent wore away and I parted out the rifle. If it wasn't for the size and weight I'd buy another in a second.

I did shoot a friend's ASP20 and that gun was impressive. It's a shame it's been discontinued and there's little support for it.

Monster magnum piston guns just aren't my thing but I think there's more potential in gas pistons for them when done right. If they could down size a quality one to the size and weight of an HW50 I'd be interested.

pump and gauge $$$ are the only reason i have not tried a 90

Now for a second thought in referral to the changing temp's affecting the gun . What if you use an inert gas like Argon or Nitrogen ?

OH i can see the Advertisement's now . "Get your own Nitro Gas Magnum Gamo NOW !!!! "
I have always been interested in taking a gas-ram and tune it down , say to 11 FPE or 9 FPE

Reactions: MartyMcFly