• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW/Weihrauch Spring piston guns, shooting tehcniques

I used to shoot match grade sub-MOA center fire and rim fire rifles as a hobby. As that became more difficult due to lack of accessible ranges in my area, I migrated to airguns that I can shoot in my basement or back yard up to 50 yards.

Started with an R7 about 20 years ago, picked up a ProSport and an HW 50s along the way. Dabbled with PCPs that were MOA guns but quickly tired of all the fuss with pumps and tanks and compressors.

In addition to applying the time tested marksmanship fundamentals learned at the range during my time with the Marines over forty years ago, I found that a consistent, neutral, and repeatable hold, coupled with the right pellets in a quality gun produces some incredible results with a springer.

While MOA five shot groups are elusive, 1 inch groups at 50 yards (with the ProSport, rested) when there’s no breeze are routine.

Last edited:
I just shoot my spring guns without a whole lot of thought other than not putting them on bags front and rear.

If they take more effort than that to be accurate, the gun either needs some tuning or it needs to be gone. They need to shoot where I'm aiming them or they aren't much good to me.

If I want a challenge to hit what I'm aiming at, I'd be using a slingshot or my smoothbore .62 flintlock with no rear sight lol

But everyone has different expectations of accuracy, and different needs out of their guns.

Reactions: BryanH
I used to shoot match grade center fire and rim fire rifles as a hobby. As that became more difficult due to lack of accessible ranges in my area, I migrated to airguns that I can shoot in my basement or back yard up to 50 yards.

Started with an R7 about 20 years ago, picked up a ProSport and an HW 50s along the way. Dabbled with PCPs that were less than MOA guns but quickly tired of all the fuss with pumps and tanks and compressors.

In addition to applying the time tested marksmanship fundamentals learned at the range during my time with the Marines over forty years ago, I found that a consistent, neutral, and repeatable hold, coupled with the right pellets in a quality gun produces some incredible results with a springer.

While sub MOA five shot groups are elusive, 1 inch groups at 50 yards (with the ProSport, rested) when there’s no breeze are routine.
This is an excellent post. It perfectly represents what I've experienced with springers. I think consistent 1MOA groups from a springer are tall order.
One MOA is 0.25"@25yds-0.5"@50yds-0.75"@75yds, 1"@100yds etc.etc...
As with all shooting external influences grow exponentially with inceasing distance. Given the terrible ballistics, instability, low weight and manufacturing inconsistency of pellets its amazing they do as well as they do. Now I've touched MOA a few times at 50 with springers but all the stars have to perfectly align. I'm happy if I can get 2 MOA consistently and very happy with 1.5 MOA.

I lost my front porch where I shoot my airguns to construction materials. There I have target boards at 25 and 50 yards and a 4" plate at 92. I can shoot airguns off the back deck but only have 28 yards before the cliff. I have a few small spinners there for them. I usually shoot powder burners onto my neighbors field across the creek at plates at 160, 320 & 500 yards. I added another plate yesterday at 625.

When I was in NY and did most of my airgun shooting at 10yds in my basement in climate controled conditions it was easy to shoot MOA there and feel like a hero. Shooting springers here at 50 yards plus has humbled me. It makes a good parallel to the other stuff I shoot. I prefer shooting groups with my springers at 25 yards. I save 50 yards for when the conditions are good and I'm feeling lucky. I'll plink cans and spinners with them out to the 92 yard plate. I have gone 108. Plinking longer ranges is different from shooting groups. Plinking is fun.

20240520_130807.jpg

20240520_130749.jpg

20240521_064342.jpg

Last edited:
This is an excellent post. It perfectly represents what I've experienced with springers. I think consistent 1MOA groups from a springer are tall order.
One MOA is 0.25"@25yds-0.5"@50yds-0.75"@75yds, 1"@100yds etc.etc...
As with all shooting external influences grow exponentially with inceasing distance. Given the terrible ballistics, instability, low weight and manufacturing inconsistency of pellets its amazing they do as well as they do. Now I've touched MOA a few times at 50 with springers but all the stars have to perfectly align. I'm happy if I can get 2 MOA consistently and very happy with 1.5 MOA.

I lost my front porch where I shoot my airguns to construction materials. There I have target boards at 25 and 50 yards and a 4" plate at 92. I can shoot airguns off the back deck but only have 28 yards before the cliff. I have a few small spinners there for them. I usually shoot powder burners onto my neighbors field across the creek at plates at 160, 320 & 500 yards. I added another plate yesterday at 625.

When I was in NY and did most of my airgun shooting at 10yds in my basement in climate controled conditions it was easy to shoot MOA there and feel like a hero. Shooting springers here at 50 yards plus has humbled me. It makes a good parallel to the other stuff I shoot. I prefer shooting groups with my springers at 25 yards. I save 50 yards for when the conditions are good and I'm feeling lucky. I'll plink cans and spinners with them out to the 92 yard plate. I have gone 108. Plinking longer ranges is different from shooting groups. Plinking is fun.

View attachment 466234

View attachment 466235

View attachment 466236
Really like that view Ron.

Reactions: Mycapt65
How do you know it's special? You've only had the one. Maybe they are all like that? :unsure:

You should go to a field target match sometime. It's very enlightening. And usually fun.
I certainly will, I have wanted to go ever since I learned about HFT some 15-16 years ago. I don’t have a lot of time, I am a truck driver.

I think some of these spring piston doubters should do the same.