• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Spring piston airgun, maximum power today?

Please help me. I was an active airgunner some 15 years ago. Back then, for a spring piston gun, the maximum power was about 30 fpe.
For instance, in my books, the Webely Patriot / Beeman Kodiak did around 28-29 fpe. The Theoben Eliminator did some 26-28 fpe. Hatsan produced a (decent) model 135 that did around 30 fpe. But that was about the limit --> 30.

Is there today a spring piston gun that does more than that? Lets talk mass produced factory guns.
If so, can you comment about how it is? Good, bad, accurate?
Thanks!!

I have the Hatsan 135QE. Been through the entire gun and trigger with a tune. 25 caliber. It’s a great gun for the money. I have a bum shoulder so it doesn’t get shot much. I had the 22 caliber as well but sold it here to another member. Just had to keep one. Both the 22 and 25 caliber are the sweet spots for the 135. They're heavy but so well balanced that you don’t notice the weight. Cocking effort is heavy but I’m 67 years old with a bad shoulder and can one arm cock them all afternoon. Well at least I could before this new shoulder issue. It’s a gun that needs some tuning when it’s new. Unfortunately the newer ones are not finished as well as they once were.
E685A839-7C74-4644-91BA-4B65541DE744.jpeg

I have the Hatsan 135QE. Been through the entire gun and trigger with a tune. 25 caliber. It’s a great gun for the money. I have a bum shoulder so it doesn’t get shot much. I had the 22 caliber as well but sold it here to another member. Just had to keep one. Both the 22 and 25 caliber are the sweet spots for the 135. They're heavy but so well balanced that you don’t notice the weight. Cocking effort is heavy but I’m 67 years old with a bad shoulder and can one arm cock them all afternoon. Well at least I could before this new shoulder issue. It’s a gun that needs some tuning when it’s new. Unfortunately the newer ones are not finished as well as they once were. View attachment 367874
Ive noticed that too. Like late models get some cost cutting compared to first/ early.

I wouldn't buy a Hatsan springer in .25 again (had a Mod 125 sniper vortex). And definitely not in .30

That level of power is much better suited to .177 or .22 where you can select a variety of ammo. With .25 and especially .30 you're really going to be lobbing the shots. Slower than I think most people would expect from a rifle.

So what I'm saying is the maximum power doesn't matter because I'll take a fast .22 over a slow .25 or .30 that has slightly more FPE.

I wouldn't buy a Hatsan springer in .25 again (had a Mod 125 sniper vortex). And definitely not in .30

That level of power is much better suited to .177 or .22 where you can select a variety of ammo. With .25 and especially .30 you're really going to be lobbing the shots. Slower than I think most people would expect from a rifle.

So what I'm saying is the maximum power doesn't matter because I'll take a fast .22 over a slow .25 or .30 that has slightly more FPE.
My 135 in .25 caliber shoots around 800 fps. If one wanted the 135 in 177 caliber I would highly recommend a synthetic stock. The Walnut stock will get eaten up. I filled a Hatsan 95 22 caliber Vortek to 150 bar. Totally ate the stock up. To much for the Walnut.

Ive noticed that too. Like late models get some cost cutting compared to first/ early.
I saw three new 135’s in a gun shop last summer. 177, 22, 25 caliber. I could file my nails on the receivers. The Walnut stocks had no figure at all. Very rough sanded and finished right over the belt sanding lines. Probably could still be tuned into something good but I would want to be holding the one I’m getting.

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
OK, King of the Springer Jungle. But how accurate is it?
That's a good question. My experience is the more power a piston gun makes, the heavier and harder it is to shoot accurately. I've always been a fan of springers and will never own a PCP but I think there comes a point where piston power becomes more trouble than its worth.

I've owned a 24 fpe RX1 and currently own a 19 fpe R1. Accuracy on both was/is decent about 1" at fifty yards. My 14-16 fpe HW97 and Hw95 family guns will do better than that with a lot less concentration.

I'm sure my R1 might do better than an inch at 50 one day but it'll be the exception. I'm sure there's a few people here that have high power guns that have done better. Do they do it all the time? Or is it the rosie memory of their best groups? Something we're all probably guilty of to some degree.

My point is if powder burners were out of the question and I was looking for reliable accuracy over 20 fpe I'd be looking hard at PCPs. Luckily for me powder burners are an option for me. I understand they're not for everybody. If someone wants to have the biggest, baddest piston gun for the sake of having it, more power to them. I just suspect they won't be as accurate as other options with similar or even greater power.

My experience with the Hatsan 135 is good. I have one in 22 cal. It does 30 fpe (31.8 fpe with HN FTT and 30.1 fpe with HN Barracudas – it likes the Barracudas best).
It has a BIG compression tube, BIG spring and BIG piston. So, obviously, it has a BIG recoil. However the gun was designed/made with many good aspects that are important at this power level: It has an excellent trigger, a good base for mounting a scope, and a good bolt to fix action to stock.
I get groups about 3/4’’ at 25 yards. I consider that to be good. Good enough to earn a place in my collection...

OK, King of the Springer Jungle. But how accurate is it?
Surprisingly accurate, in line with what Rodrigo571 said or a little better. When the weather cools I’m going to do some pellet testing. Look for that write up in October or later LOL. I don’t expect it to be as accurate as my HW97 or 56T/H or Diana 52 etc. Why should it be? Not a gun that was meant to punch paper. But if you want to dispatch something inside 40 yards it’s your Huckleberry. Mine wears a RD most of the time because it’s perfect for what this gun was made for.

Reactions: Bear-of-Grayling
Ok, so I decide to shoot my 135QE Vortex at 25 yards. This is with a 4 (I think?) MOA RD and CPHP. Top left is from zeroing. Then 5 shots, gun on my hand, front hand resting on a bag. High and right is me, others are the gun. Not bad for something that thumps like this and using a RD. Gun has more accuracy in it I think.The CPHP are too light, nearly 1,000 FPS. Believe accuracy will improve under 900 FPS. Will test pellets and compact scope in future. They’re a blast to shoot. Unique experience. Only springer I’ve ever pulled into my shoulder. Recoils like a .223.

JDR, they do or did make a spring version. They made a .22 and maybe a .25. Discussed it with a guy on GTA who has one. He’s in Europe. Believe he gets about 32 FPE in .22. I was amazed. No idea if they’re still in production but there were several guys in the discussion and they said you can convert the gas ram.

20230627_201450_resized.jpeg

I did check the website and looks like Krale has the Hatsan 135 in springer version.