• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Spring modification, heat treating

Slow heat to barely orange compress as it turns color. Do not get it cherry red …let air cool. . Linish and square up. I’ve done hundreds of springs ,several guns over 30 ft lbs. Never had one break ..I’ve had them break and all were factory Dianna guns. Or HW .. USUALLY TWO TO THREE COILS UP.

oil quenching does more harm than good as you can’t temper the area. Anealed last coil will not hurt as it’s NOT ACTIVE.

if it’s tempered right the first time , It’s done deal ,,,,If not it will set each time cocked getting weaker by the shot. Hatsans are famous for this.

I sent a email to Jim Macarri at( ARH) and asked him for his Spring Cutting/Spring Compressing Procedure.
He has been in the business of making/modifying springs for 30/40 years and should end our speculation?

However, while many folks do have different techniques ... I believe they produce a marginal difference.

I think Jim Macarri or Hector Medina can provide members with the most informed solution - whether you agree of not.

I sent a email to Jim Macarri at( ARH) and asked him for his Spring Cutting/Spring Compressing Procedure.
He has been in the business of making/modifying springs for 30/40 years and should end our speculation?

However, while many folks do have different techniques ... I believe they produce a marginal difference.

I think Jim Macarri or Hector Medina can provide members with the most informed solution - whether you agree of not.
Yeah, I may have gotten some advice from JM over the years. I've always considered him as a friend.

or maybe it just doesn't matter as it is the spring end
most spring breakage is where 3 to 4 inches from the ends
Yes, largely .......... it doesn't justify pages of ............. Bla bla bla.
But it would be nice to get a "best practice" from the "Horses Mouth" vs. The Masses;).
Polishing spring-ends is likely good medicine too.

or maybe it just doesn't matter as it is the spring end
most spring breakage is where 3 to 4 inches from the ends
There are a lot of things that don't matter if your major interest is plinking at soda cans in the backyard up to 25yrds away. Then really there is no need to tune at all. Ultimately if your interests lie in getting the most out of your equipment paying attention to small details that seem insignificant can have an impact. I am interested in the response from JM.

There are a lot of things that don't matter if your major interest is plinking at soda cans in the backyard up to 25yrds away. Then really there is no need to tune at all. Ultimately if your interests lie in getting the most out of your equipment paying attention to small details that seem insignificant can have an impact. I am interested in the response from JM.
Jim will not reply to this. The potential liability is obvious. You need to experiment and see what works…or listen to those that have.

You obviously have never dealt with JM.
I have for over 20 years and I have the utmost respect for his advice. But that advice is only given to those who he knows have the skills to carry out his instructions.
Send him an email and ask your questions
Good to know he is potentially reachable via email if I have questions. Thank you

Hey Guys,
I sent him this Sunday:

Jim Bentley is likely correct - JM likely won't respond:(.
He has learned some people are not responsible for their own mistakes and doesn't want to be involved in someone else's mess.

Jim Maccari.jpg

Hey Guys,
I sent him this Sunday:

He has learned some people are not responsible for their own mistakes and doesn't want to be involved in someone else's mess.

View attachment 449541
I was active on JM's private forum for many years and was lucky enough to converse with him and other knowledgable airgunners regularly. For that reason, and others, I'm guessing that JM ignores about 20 of these emails every day.

Hey Guys,
I sent him this Sunday:

View attachment 449541
Not surprising, and i dont deny the reasoning behind this position. Having years working as a mechanic under my belt i have witnessed more than my share of things that could have been prevented with a little more info before someone diving into a project.

It would seem the best way to collect data at this point would be to start a poll related to broken springs. Although i dont see that option available once a thread has been started. Something with
Factory unmodified [plus brand], cut and rehardened, cut and not hardened as potential options to gather stats on if any one of these methods has more potential problems than the other.