• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Spring gun work shop

what equipment would be in the dream spring gun tuners workshop? I’m posting in hopes of learning or helping others and sharing information. Off the top of my head I’d say a lathe and mill to make custom parts from spring guides to trigger parts. Various sandpaper. A Dremel. I’ll add more as I can think of it, just wanted to start the conversation. I’m currently ignorant of pellet swagging kits but if it can be used for pellets and not just slugs that looks interesting. 

Yeah a nice USA lathe that you can get from the 1960s. Unfortunately, they take up a whole garage baha. Maybe there is something smaller. I think lots of Walnut wood too and linseed oil and bluing agents. Maybe some nice rubber clamps, nice vice, and so on. Oh, yeah, lots of grub screws and other types of screws. I like those classic golden looking brass screws, you know the real wood screws, that you find on older rifles from 1800-1920

what equipment would be in the dream spring gun tuners workshop? I’m posting in hopes of learning or helping others and sharing information. Off the top of my head I’d say a lathe and mill to make custom parts from spring guides to trigger parts. Various sandpaper. A Dremel. I’ll add more as I can think of it, just wanted to start the conversation. I’m currently ignorant of pellet swagging kits but if it can be used for pellets and not just slugs that looks interesting.

I would highly recommend looking at Mike Ellingsworth videos here on the forum and even sending Mike a pm. Very cool guy and I bet he would help you.

the dowels r an excellent idea. 1/8-1/4"-& 1/2". 90% rubbing alcohol is an excellent,cheap cleaner and evaporates quickly. I keep it in a spray bottle on the shelf NEAR the work-bench. Be careful, it is (highly FLAMMABLE) lol. GOOD LIGHTING and a clean floor too,lol

Adult beverages , various sized dowels with slots cut in them for holding sandpaper, polishing cloth, etc.

I would highly recommend looking at Mike Ellingsworth videos here on the forum and even sending Mike a pm. Very cool guy and I bet he would help you.

Mike Ellingsworth is the best. Not just a tuner but a airgunsmith and artist. The .20 Tomahawk I recently acquired from him is a Outstanding testimonial to his ability. He is #1 in my book

Mike's shop makes mine and most of your look like child's play. 

Mike Ellingsworth 

https://www.youtube.com/user/MsSteppingstone

Thats beautiful, is that a break barrel?

Yes it is a Turkish Tomahawk Springer. The cylinder has been bored oversized. A custom seals. Custom spring and spring guide. Trigger reworked 2lb pull. Walther .20 caliber barrel. Custom shroud with brass and cap. Crony at 860+ fps. A work of art by Mike Ellingsworth 

https://youtu.be/Qr8tZSl6UQI

https://youtu.be/G_LyCMEdxVU

For compressing springs I use the wood vise on my workbench. They are sometimes called an end vise. They are fairly inexpensive. The better ones have a release to make quick adjusments. Some pics...

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/american-woodworker-blog/vises/

Lay the assembly on the bench, top down. The breech goes against the popup jaw (or vise dog) of the wood vise. The barrel end goes against a bench dog or wood block clamped to the bench. The vise has at least 6 inches of travel and has tremendous mechanical advantage. I used it to replace the springs in my HW95 and HW30. Being springers, I was concerned that the assembly might buckle if restrained only at the ends. Placing it upside down prevents buckling. It worked like a charm. 

Since you said "Dream shop"...Sunnen hone, good quality lathe and mill, good quality spring cmpressor, a good set or 2 of gunsmithing screw drivers and allen wrenches plus all the other hand tools that might be needed. Rags, papertowels, cleaning solvents and degreasers, right proper gun bluing equipment would also be in there somewhere.

Stock refinishing/making would be another whole ball of wax...lol. 

A really good shop would also have a complete set of grinding wheels, belt sanders. Wood working tools to make jigs and fixtures. Possibly a table saw. A good scroll saw. A bandsaw. A variable speed drill press. Tooling to properly sharpen drill bits, routers, and various carbide cutters. A large selection of pliers, nippers, cutters, wrenches both socket and fixed. Precision measuring tools such as calipers, height gauges, depth gauges, precision blocks. Various stones, including diamond and aluminum oxide. A good work bench with an end vise, various bench dogs. A good heavy vise. A full assortment of clamps. Finishing chemicals. Hammers, punches, magnifying glasses,, lots of bench space. The list is endless.

Yes on a magnet! I’ve got a 2-10 second window for finding small parts that drop or fly off before my roving vacuum cleaner picks it up, pic below of the model of vacuum.
1598036901_18604409885f401ba5636588.47451367.jpeg

I just watched pretty much all of Paul watt’s videos.... never noticed he had a channel. now he has it SET up. All round gunsmithing knowledge and tooling. Good information too. Extremely humbling.