spring gun to PCP

Hey y'all. I'm new to this forum (or any forum for that matter) but not entirely new to air rifles because I've shot my older brother's HW97 a lot, but I'm not strong enough to keep using the under lever. Do you think a HW100 or 110 would be a comparable PCP? I've grown up shooting shotguns, bird hunting and 308's for target shooting with my dad but I really like the idea of air rifles. So, if you'd be kind enough, please let me know your thoughts. 

Thank you!

Nikki C

Hey Nikki, the HW30 suggestion is solid advice/suggestion. A PCP would do great too, but be sure you know what all you will need for it. It gets expensive fast too. You will need an air source, I would work that out first. 

I’m not familiar with the HW100, but there are some good reviews on YouTube. Check out AEAC, he reviewed the HW110. 

You may want to check out FX or Kalibrgun. FX headquarters and repair center is located in NC, GA Airguns specializes in Kalibrguns. Give Charlie a call, great guy to talk to and will set you up right. 

https://www.georgiaairguns.net/

Welcome to the forum!

I was wondering how You will be filling the pcp? Also,no idea what kinda price range Your working with. If low cost is a consideration,a Gamo Urban is actually Quite nice. Short,light and Very accurate...but it will need a scope.

Of course,if cost isn't a big factor...the sky's the limit! Please let everyone know whatcha decide and how You like it.

Have Fun!

Mike

Welcome to the forum Nikki

Wow, If you're looking at the HW 100 & 110 , you must have already done a little home work and plan on spending more than what's available at entry level PCP. But heck yeah an HW100/110 is a fine gun if that's what you want.

Filling your PCP is the most important step no matter what you get. I would assume a hand pump is out of the question? I know I sure don't like to use a hand pump as much as I like to shoot. So you need to figure out how you'r going to air it up?

Like others have mentioned the HW30 and the Beeman R7 would be your best bet for ease of cocking if you decide to stay with springers.

A good place to help see what's out there and compare is Hard Air Magazine https://hardairmagazine.com/

The .177 HW 100 scores really high in their review

https://hardairmagazine.com/reviews/weihrauch-hw100-pcp-air-rifle-test-review-177-caliber/

Also check out Steve's Airgun Exploration & Advancement Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/svscialli/videos

https://youtu.be/fyik6PUCa-w

Good luck, and let us know what you decide on!

Fuss

No shortage of airgun shooters in your area and it would be well worth the time to get to a shoot and try out what everyone else has.

Somewhere to start:

http://aafta.org/html/organization/organization_aafta_clubs_se.html

someone will own an HW100 ( I personally dont recommend them but you might enjoy one) as well as just about any other airgun you can name.

If looking for something a bit light some version of the CZ200 might be just the ticket.

For your stated use even a "12fpe" .177 will work just fine. And do consider buying used from a well known airgunner , maybe face to face at a match?

John

Ma'am, along the way, I considered moving into PCP, but decided to stay with springers. It wasn't my intention to do anything more that relax and have some fun shooting, and although PCP's do have certain advantages, the peripherals required would have doubled my initial capital investment, and actually would not have added one thing to the reasons why I shoot airguns! Plus, I enjoy the added challenges that springers bring to my party. So, you just have to go back to the reasons why you were attracted to air rifles in the first place, and decide whether all the extra equipment is worth it. If it is, and if the advantages of PCP's outweigh the disadvantages, then it's just a matter of deciding what to buy.

That I can't speak to with any credibility. But before I decided to pull back my horns, the Benjamin Marauder in .22 was lookin' purty good!

oh my gosh! y'all are so helpful...I wasn't sure anyone would respond...thank you so much! I don't think I want a springer, but heck, what do I know.

Mr Insanity...asylum? wow...too funny, but airguns just seem too fun. I really am hooked!

Mr. Fuss, Holy Moly! I've read everything I can find and watched hours of YouTubes over the past few months, but was afraid of saying anything on the forums...I do have a family friend that is a Lieutenant VFF and he says that he can get me a tank with five years left for $100 and he can fill it too...I thought that was good but, I know I would have to buy the hoses and connections. Daddy taught me to never buy cheap guns or cheap dogs. (Momma taught me to never leave the house without my mascara and lipgloss, cuz you never know who you're gonna meet at the Piggly Wiggly...she was kidding...about the Piggly Wiggly part).

The reason I was asking about the HWs was because of my brother's HW97...actually it says Beeman...is that the same? His gun seems well made and it seems like I can use it well enough out to about 40 yards and ok out to 50 or so. So I thought that if HW made a spring gun I could use they would make a good PCP. Is that crazy?

Crutcherro, Intenseaty, MScott and Mr. Spy...thank you all for being so helpful!

HW guns are made by Weihrauch in Germany, fine guns they are, and they have a whole line of them. (I’m speaking of the Springers here) If I’m not mistaken, the HW PCPs are a joint venture with another corporation, but I’m not sure of all those details or even if that’s a fact. 

Beeman imports Weihrauch guns into the US, they are essentially the same gun, with some variation of stocks. 

Haha, Nikki, you're killing me with the Piggly Wiggly reference ! It's my favorite store here in our sleepy little town of Burgaw NC! I go there at least once a week if not three times a week!LOL And another thing I picked up on...you said "Holy Moly"...are you my long lost sister? I say that all the time! LOL

OK, looks like you've got the tank. Hopefully it will have a fresh hydro test done on it when you get it? They are good for 5 yrs and that would work out perfect for the end of life of the tank. You should be able to find used gauges and hoses (AKA fill assy) here on the classifieds , if not I recommend Joe Brancato for a new fill assy. Probably best to call him. http://www.airtanksforsale.com/

Now you have to find a way to fill it? Paintball store? Scuba outlet? Compressor, Nitrogen from a gas supply company.

I started with a Paintball store and taking my tank there to be filled. The drive and the fact they could never get it above 4000psi soon ended that ordeal. Then I went the compressor route with a used Shoebox . It didn't last long and started giving me problems. I contacted a local welding supply and lease a 6000 psi nitrogen bottle that I use to fill my 4500 SCBA tanks now days. Been doing the Nitrogen for over 4 years and no complaints except it is a little expensive. I figure it costs be a $1.00 a day when all is said and done so that's OK with me.

1548022277_3745906065c44f205c0c292.15710719_IMG_1329.JPG

Also as for a rifle. You might want to take a good look at those new FX Dreamline's. You wouldn't be too far from FX USA here in Wilmington NC if you ever need anything done to it?

I'm headin' to the Piddy Widdy as I like to call it. TTYL

Fuss

This is the right place to ask questions and search info, there is a vast wealth of knowledge here. Everyone here wants to help and that makes this a good forum to be a part of. The more detailed your question the better answers you will get. So for us to help we need to know a budget, caliber, and type of shooting which you have already stated that is the big ticket question IMO how you intend to use it. So 177 is very viable a lot of options for ammo and can do everything you ask just fine with in the limits of the gun. I personally like .22 and would avoid .20 and .25 not so much available ammo wise .30 is has good support but .357 and up are big bore and there isn't much there ammo support that my limited research has shown to warrant consideration unless I intend to hunt medium game. 

oh my gosh! y'all are so helpful...I wasn't sure anyone would respond...thank you so much! I don't think I want a springer, but heck, what do I know.

Mr Insanity...asylum? wow...too funny, but airguns just seem too fun. I really am hooked!

Mr. Fuss, Holy Moly! I've read everything I can find and watched hours of YouTubes over the past few months, but was afraid of saying anything on the forums...I do have a family friend that is a Lieutenant VFF and he says that he can get me a tank with five years left for $100 and he can fill it too...I thought that was good but, I know I would have to buy the hoses and connections. Daddy taught me to never buy cheap guns or cheap dogs. (Momma taught me to never leave the house without my mascara and lipgloss, cuz you never know who you're gonna meet at the Piggly Wiggly...she was kidding...about the Piggly Wiggly part).

The reason I was asking about the HWs was because of my brother's HW97...actually it says Beeman...is that the same? His gun seems well made and it seems like I can use it well enough out to about 40 yards and ok out to 50 or so. So I thought that if HW made a spring gun I could use they would make a good PCP. Is that crazy?

Crutcherro, Intenseaty, MScott and Mr. Spy...thank you all for being so helpful!

Welcome Nikki to the forum. I think going the PCP rifle route if you got the money to spend will be much more enjoyable in some respects to shooting springers. You will be able to shoot more accurately because of lack of double recoil and not having to strain cocking the spring rifle each time. Also shooting using a rifle with a magazine eliminates having to hand load for each shot. Since you have access to an SCBA tank and an VFF to fill the tank you have it made it that respect. The HW 110 is an well made and preforming rifle but for the same price the new FX Dreamline Classic say in .22 cal. will give you more features and adjustability. Your will get a higher shot count per fill of 80 shots according to FX at full power compared to 40 for the HW110. With the adjustable regulator you can lower the power and still get more shots per fill. The Dreamline's magazine in .22 cal holds 18 shots compared to 10 for the HW 110 and the Dreamline weighs about a pound to a pound and a half less it appears. Not to mention the ability to change barrels and calibers if you really get into different shooting needs. You also can add the high quality DonnyFL moderator to make the rifle super quiet. I will provide a link to Utah Air on the rifles specs., price and options and AEAC's review on the FX Dreamline. Bill

https://utahairguns.com/fx-dreamline-classic/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH5LoEKtol0&ab_channel=AirgunExploration%26AdvancementChannel

If you can get a tank for that price and have a fill source you are all set for PCP's. You will love how they shoot. I started with a Marauder way back when they were the most affordable PCP out there but it's long and heavy. I recently got a Brocock Compatto off the classifieds here and I love the semi bullpup design. Much better for the field and very accurate . There are a lot of good options these days. Good luck with your hunt!

Annette 

The Dreamline is a much better choice for somebody who lives within driving distance of the FX distributor. With the new 3 yr warranty your covered for a while. The AEAC video kinda speaks for itself. Having the ability to tune from back yard power to hunting power without dis-assembling the gun is awesome. The hard part is deciding between the Lite and the bullpup versions.