spring compressor

Here's mine. You should be able to figure out rough dimensions from the picture.
Everything is 2x4 aside from the 2x6 piece and 2X8 base.

spring-compressor.jpg

Sorry, I can't help but show off some of my cool drill presses. I've also chucked some in a lathe and used the tailstock to unload the trigger block.
The blue 1940 Craftsman is original blue I custom matched. I have a matching bench top model. And a matching bench top like the grey 1950's Atlas.
IMG_3772.JPGIMG_3775.JPGIMG_3770.JPGIMG_3777.JPG

Last edited:
I can take a pic of mine , it’s worked on any gun at any power but I’m thinking of redesigning a new air powered one.
Foot pedal and air piston. Typical c clamp designs work But twisting while holding Is getting o
I can take a pic of mine , it’s worked on any gun at any power but I’m thinking of redesigning a new air powered one.
Foot pedal and air piston. Typical c clamp designs work But twisting while holding Is getting old
Like to see a picture of yours Chris

I guess what i really need would be how much travel do i need to have to relax most springs ? Maybe a better question ?

Most are less than 2 inches. Of preload. Thaat being said there are a few if taken apart that are testy with miles of preload. (GAMO hunter extreme , factory Kodiaks) Thats where the stability comes into play. A breech block letting go at 200+ft lbs will do sever damage.

Here is mine, it’s over 15 years old , it has Not failed in any gun, and believe me,I’ve had springs and gas rams that most never will use.
pits fully adjustable sled system with front hold down support and rear barrel sled for longer guns. The routed out area is for pins to fall into and is needed. Depending on the action size I insert soft spacers to hold action without making.
The drawer is for holding tools to adjust and punches. Etc…
Of course you need to make adaptor plates for each gun ..
21AF618A-E77A-48F1-BEE4-C139F11B36AD.jpeg
538766A4-D3B8-4625-9461-27194502511B.jpeg
1000C06A-AB4B-41A8-9A2A-F9EFA67ECBDA.jpeg
0AD5DF55-9AEC-4788-BE78-A49815C9909D.jpeg
7A4E0EAA-FC13-4DBE-A5C3-DF1C5E607A00.jpeg
538766A4-D3B8-4625-9461-27194502511B.jpeg
BFEBC67A-4EF1-41A1-9DE3-A0870FCC2F01.jpeg

It is a clamp and I may redo it with a new air,foot controlled powered actuator.. I’m getting old and lazy.work smarter not harder

* bonus for Kodiak owners, there a soft tune for using factory spring without buying a kit. there.. 😁

Most are less than 2 inches. Of preload. Thaat being said there are a few if taken apart that are testy with miles of preload. (GAMO hunter extreme , factory Kodiaks) Thats where the stability comes into play. A breech block letting go at 200+ft lbs will do sever damage.

Here is mine, it’s over 15 years old , it has Not failed in any gun, and believe me,I’ve had springs and gas rams that most never will use.
pits fully adjustable sled system with front hold down support and rear barrel sled for longer guns. The routed out area is for pins to fall into and is needed. Depending on the action size I insert soft spacers to hold action without making.
The drawer is for holding tools to adjust and punches. Etc…
Of course you need to make adaptor plates for each gun .. View attachment 430900View attachment 430903View attachment 430902View attachment 430901View attachment 430904View attachment 430903View attachment 430905

It is a clamp and I may redo it with a new air,foot controlled powered actuator.. I’m getting old and lazy.work smarter not harder

* bonus for Kodiak owners, there a soft tune for using factory spring without buying a kit. there.. 😁
Thankyou , i have a large C clamp i got at a garage sale i can butcher .

Reactions: PumaCarl
Not disparaging any design. WITHOUT the adjustable center block to hold action secure ,there IS a possibility ( likely) that the barrel will break at the breech under pressure and every thing goes awry.. You stare in amazement at your luck that your not injured and search for parts .. unless your bracing the action on the breech which I don’t like to do for 2 reasons

The forks aren’t wide enough when barrels on, unless you take the barrel off and I don’t like taking it off during tuning every time. Compressors are for securing the weapon , so you can work hands free

A R7 or any 12 ft lb gun can be usually bench and pushed in.. Any gun over that gets to risky.

Last edited:
Reactions: wijib and Star7
The most preload that I have seen is on a FWB124. That spring is long. I got a giant C-clamp and cut it up and mounted it into a 4x4. It was very nerve racking the first time I used it.
I concur.

Worst spring gun you can work on. Not to mention the safety slide and spring being easily bent, and if anything goes south you're guaranteed to break the trigger off lol.

Definitely need a good compressor for one of these!

Reactions: PumaCarl
Mine drills holes. You've never seen a cross drilling jig like mine. Look at the finish on that steel shaft! Lathe turned with HSS. Not polished. Notice the Acme thread I single pointed............beautiful 😁
IMG_2822.jpgIMG_2823.jpg

Had to make this adapter for a Norica. They made some of the Beeman imports. S1, Marksman 45, Norica Jet, etc.
Just to rebuild a friend's crap gun.
IMG_0223.jpg
IMG_0226.jpgIMG_0228.jpg