Spring compressor question

You really don't need a spring compressor. I just put a cushion on the floor with the trigger end down and slowly turn the rest of the gun. There is a small pop when the threads come apart but if you hold tightly it is no big deal. I weigh 165# and am not a real strong guy. 

Sorry I didn't answer your question. 

What part of Ohio?

Get back to work on that spring compressor!! Much safer to have the receiver contained while working with the strong springs. This picture is of an HW80 with about 1.375" of spring hanging out before compression.

1594333206_15628416415f079816f1b1f0.15637771.jpg

If you plan on owning Springer's just build a compressor. You will need one, no reason to take chances and get hurt. Every rifle will shoot better with a tune anyway. Every rifle I own has been tuned at some point. Usually soon after purchase. And any wood stocks are soft bedded. Any rifle can be made better with a few hour of tinkering. 

DYI compressor ins6

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=41567.0

Another option would be to purchase a spring compressor. I purchased the Rail Lock Spring Compressor from Air Venturi. Since it attaches to the rifle it is much smaller than other spring compressors. It works very well. The only thing I needed to do was purchase an 11mm to 11mm riser mount. By attaching it to the mount the compressor lines up perfectly with the spring.

If you have a lathe. Carefully chuck (use soft aluminum shims, or leather) the action and use the tailstock quill for a press. A hard wood block over the end of the live center allows easy turning if it's a threaded one.

You can also use a floor model or sometimes a large bench drill press with some creativity. Use the quill as a press. One of my floor drill presses has a #2 morse taper quill. I can use a live center there. If you want the whole quill to turn easily take the drive belt off.

In the shop setup is often half the fun

More than one way to skin a cat 👍

I got the spring compressor made. I used some scraps from work to build it. I’ll call it the “po boy rail lock“. It’s gonna mount in a set of 1” Low rings and the screw has adjustable height and 6” of compression travel. If it don’t work I’ll make another one.

That's the attitude-do or die. You should be able to get it done with a homemade unit. I used a handmade wooden frame compressor for a while but since then I've purchased the AV Rail Lock and later the Sun Optics frame unit. The rail lock is quick and easy but doesn't always line up perfectly. The Sun Optics unit is excellent.

1594408111_19691696825f08bcaf8b8ce5.34232793.jpeg

Here it is assembled. Everything is parallel and in line with the 1” tube. The 3/4” post that holds the 1/2-13 threaded rod can move up and down and locks in on a flat so it can’t go anywhere. I think it’ll work. It’s a little heavier than I wanted at 2 1/2 pounds on the nose. But I don’t know where I could have saved on weight. Maybe cut a little off the end cap. The scope rings are for demonstration I plan on using low rings to keep things as close as possible. I plan on adding a plastic tip that spins on the end of the threaded rod. The best part is it didn’t cost me a thing. I made it during down time at work. I think I’m gonna shorten the tube and the threaded rod eventually after I put it on a gun to see how much extra I have on it. If it works good I might make a pretty one.