• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Spotter Power

I was asked if i ever looked thru a swaro or leica, I have not spent any time behind a Swaro or Leica. I would like to but unfortunately that's not in the budget right now. Just curious if anybody else had ran into this.

I haven't packed a spotter on our high hunts due to the added weight. I've mostly relied on foot power to get into distances I can glass. This year I'd like to effectively extend my distances by using the spotter into some of the basins without hiking to vantage points to glass. That being said, I don't know if I'd miss having the ability to go up to 60x vs. only 45x.

From 45 to 60.... Wont miss much...now going from 30 to 60 then yes, a big difference. Keep in mind that going to a higher magnification means you need a bigger object lens or the image will appear dark. High mag needs lots of light gathering to be usuable. Better quality glass will also help when light is low. For backpacking my big Burris would not be ideal, but if you go to a smaller glass then go with better lenses.

I have a slightly older Kowa TSN82SV, with angle ocular. It's big and relatively heavy, but good optics. .22 holes at 200 yards are easy. I also have Kowa TSN664 straight through view. I find the straight scope easier to acquire a target with, and use it mostly for casual shooting in the back yard, The big one usually goes to the rifle range, where I can set the tripod in front of a bench(not the shooting bench) and watch where my grandson is hitting. From a standing position the angled ocular is easier to use as the tripod can be shorter and more stable. Both scopes use the same eyepieces, I have a 20-60 as well as a 27x extended eye relief model that is better for use with my eyeglasses. the the 27x is sufficently powerful use for use at least to 250 yards, the longest our range has, and probably more. I had a 15-60 B&L Disoverer scope I gave to my grandson as I had problems with heat waves and mirage with it, I found as I got older I needed better quality optics vs high power, hence my use of the extended relieve eyepiece. I have never looked through a Swaro, leica or Ziess so cannnot make any comparison.

I have a low end Nikon spotting scope 15-45x that the optical quality isn't the best. Since I have some Canon EOS tele lenses I gave a Kento adapter a try. I can use either my 70-200 f2.8 or 300 F4 with or without the 1.4x Canon tele adapter. The image is a lot better than my Nikon spotter. A consideration if you already own a usable camera lens.

http://bobatkins.com/photography/technical/Lens-scope-adapter.html