Spot and Stalk Crow

For a long time the only airgun I had capable of doing the deed is my blue streak, never could get within its range. I need to get him out and see if I can’t bag a crow, probably be about the same stalk as sneaking into offhand range with a good pcp. Maybe since I got one under my belt the next one will come a little easier. 

From what I've read in the past, crows and ravens aren't head-hunting ducks - it's the eggs their after. Swarms of crows or ravens (depending on the area) can descend on hatching areas and destroy hundreds, if not thousands, of eggs in a day's time. As with many predator-prey relationships, everything would run in cycles but balance out over time historically. However, the extreme influence of humans in the last couple hundred years has really skewed that balance. That's where the role of the wise conservationist comes into play.

A former co-worker told me stories of essentially having a crow as childhood pet in Pennsylvania. Most times when he'd go outside, the crow would show up and closely follow him around. I think he was even able to feed it from his hand.

Yes, they do go after eggs.. But, they also work in pairs to go in the nests and kill / eat the young... They lure the mom away and go into nest and use their beaks to go down the young's throat and eat their heart, liver and breast. They are brutal... Very smart animals an I respect them and I hunt them without mercy...

Reactions: Hal4son
My father used to hunt crow for bounty back during the Great Depression since crows caused alot of agricultural damage. Crow will kill and eat fledgling birds, eat their eggs, kill livestock as they are being born or kill them shortly after if they have the opportunity. Was out in the woods the other day and heard some crows a few hundred yards away. I started calling them and sure enough they came, lit about 50 yards away in the top of this dead tree. I wasn't hid that well and as soon as I pointed the muzzle of my Maverick in their direction they took off. I made some more calls and they banked steeply as they circled above to ID me then after they figured things out then they were on their way. I think if I was hid better, then I would've had a crack at them. If their anything like the grackle, I shot a female grackle and the male was 10 foot up looking down at its prone unmoving mate trying to figure out what the deal was when I anchored him as well and he fell right next to his mate. RIP!

In a tree about 70 yards away this early spring before the leaves were on real thick, I spotted a crow sitting motionless about 100 feet up. I was shooting Hades 15.89 gr at about 880fps. Consulted with Strelok Pro, heldover about 8moa and got him right in the breast. It let out a surprise call, its wings came out bout halfway, it lost its grip fell about 6ft caught itself then dove down to the ground. I think this guy was stalking to see where other birds were nesting and watching them and was caught totally by surprise when it was hit.

Federal law, A taxidermist must have migratory game bird permit. To mount , except or take in any migratory game bird.To get, takes money ( bunch of it) and agree to burn every part not used of all of them, crows included.
On a different note you can legally kill crows in many places all over the U.S. But I don't know of anywhere it's legal to do so with a airgun. Stupid as it is that's how it is. As more states come on board allowing airgun hunting we should be able to get that changed. Federal law places no restrictions on methods of take on crows. But all the states throw crows in with other migratory game birds so airguns are locked out. Expect to see that begin to change hopefully sooner than later. Not telling anyone what to do but till then don't think I will be posting about taking them with a airgun. Could result in financial hard ship to individuals and only makes it tougher to gain trust of game departments. And get restrictions lifted. Have a great day all!

Ohio Laws & Administrative Rules

(i) Crows

(a) Notwithstanding any other provision in this rule, it shall be lawful for any person to take crows which are found committing or about to commit depredations upon ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in such numbers and manner as to constitute a health hazard or other nuisance.

Crow, in general are a pest bird. Extremely destructive to agriculture especially livestock as well as other protected wild indigenous species.
So are u saying u need the expressed written permission from the big guy to shoot a crow with an air rifle when there is no expressed prohibition against it in the first place? This is still America isn't it?

BTW, shot at some debris in a tree about 70 yrds away with my 22 Maverick Sniper. I could see that I was putting holes in it and it was about 30 feet up. Now earlier we had some crow in the area but they kept out of sight. After my second shot at the debris in this tree a crow popped out about 30 feet up set real pretty tryin to figure out what was going on and I was able to nail'em right in the breat plate with a 15.89 Hades at about 950fps. Anchored it.

Then there is this:

Ohio Airgun Laws and Hunting Regulations​

Ohio has no State law restricting non-powder guns, air-guns, spring guns or facsimile guns.

Ohio Air Gun Hunting Regulations​

Ohio allows air gun hunting for certain species. These species include:
• Cottontail Rabbit
• Coyote
• Crow
• Fox
• Groundhog
• Opossum
• Pheasant
• Quail
• Raccoon
• Ruffed Grouse
• Skunk
• Squirrel
• Weasel
• Wild Boar

Reactions: ohiochuck
Great news! You are lucky to live in a state where it is legal to do so. But yeah it's still America and most of us don't. Hope other states will follow Ohio and begin to allow airgun inclusion. Bet they will because really no reason not to. Think it's more of an over sight than any conscious decision by law makers to not include airguns. Kill all you can and post when you do, will help those of us who still legally cant.

@moodyblues They aren’t easy animals to hunt or manage. They are highly intelligent and adaptable. As for hunting them I have noticed that various states allow it and some even have seasons. What I find strange is that I have read that they are federally protected. So I’m not clear on that aspect. In the region I reside they can be managed legally if they are problematic. If they present an issue, they’re out of there.

What did you do different to sneak up on this one? Is the ground wet or dry? Good shot from that distance. Which caliber and ammo did you take it with? What type of rifle is that?
They are protected under the MBTA but there is a federal depredation order on blackbirds (this covers several species) where they are nuisances. That federal depredation order can be executed in various manners by the state. Some state do it by having an actual season. Other states don't have such seasons but individuals are allowed to take care of them if they are causing issues. Say you are a farmer and they are eating your crops. You are allowed under the federal depredation order to address the situation WITHOUT a special permit like is required for other protected animals.

i generally dont try to find an excuse to kill something .. if its a pest to you i get it, they get along with my chickens fine, find it hard to buy theyre out head hunting ducks lol .. ive dusted a couple of them pecking melons in my garden .. they know better than that crap now lol .. this is what it looks like when something is fixin to buy the farm around here .. all i got is time if something is tooling around out there .. theyll mess up, then its time to pay the fiddler lol

View attachment 203609
what is this tri pod ? thanks Stan

Yesterday . FX of course is there any other rifle? 40 yards from Chevrolet Silverado.
B3B73381-638E-4C83-909B-034E4263596B.jpeg

Reactions: stony30