• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Spending time at a dairy

Spent a few hours and two days shooting birds at a local dairy. Used my Crown with a 500mm barrel and NightForce scope in .22. Got a total of a little over 200 pests in the 2 days ranges from 20 to 60 yards and targets were pigeons, collard doves, starlings, cow birds and sparrows. Used a combo of ammo from 14 gr JSB big surprise here how well they killed polly mag shorts, terminators, JSB 16 gr and JSB 18 gr. One interesting thing was how all were effected by unseen power pole hight wind at 30 yards to the targets at extreme angle. Got a handle on this after a couple, gulp, misses, wind in coming caused a hold under. On a side note at the dairy saw my first robotic milking machine. Cow walks in, gets a utter bath and scrub, then the laser gets the equiptment on the teets, and the read out for each, how much. Cows try to come back as they get grain but the machine reads their tag and kicks them out. There is a chip in the cow that tells the system all about the individual animal. Was going back today but rain, I don't sit in the rain.

Got back out yesterday morning with my son and his other. I got 60 shots and 55 kills with 2 lots of feathers and 3 clean misses, 3 collard doves, 3 sparrows and the rest starlings and cow birds. Still playing with 3 different weight pellets and can't see much difference in kill. 18.13 JSB, 14 gr JSB and 16gr Terminators. The Terminators give the best pop, the 14s give the best shorter range kills and the 18s give the best longer range. This is just an opinion baced on experience. My son and his other shot Hades with similar kills. The birds are learning and the pigeons seem to be a bit smarter. Would try some slugs but the area does not support the use.

Went out this morning for another two hour session. Not consistent on a lot of sparrows, they are a small target. 50 or so kills with 64 shots, someone kept jerking the trigger. about half sparrows and one very unlucky crow that took a head shot at about 32 yards. The birds are getting smarter and stay in the barns and don't come out to enjoy the sun. I just might need to do some filming but I have enough to do just shooting.