• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Speed Silo at EBR? How to enforce the rules?

After seeing how the shooters handled the Gunslynger Event at the Pyramyd Cup, I'm wondering how this rule below will be enforced at EBR?

1566922364_7289801235d65567cecfc10.77901211_fullsizeoutput_2161.jpeg

{If using a magazine, must use factory/OEM magazines only. Limited to 18 shot maximum capacity.}

Aren't Impact magazines in excess of 18 shot capacity? How will AoA enforce that for the Speed Silo with the Impacts all having factory mags that shoot in excess of 20 pellets? I agree with this policy, since without it the FX Impacts will have a huge advantage over every other type of airgun. If not single loading, a magazine change should be mandatory in order to level the playing field. A precedence has already been set since at the RMAC, the initial magazine load out was limited to 8 shots for the Speed Challenge, necessitating a mag change if more than 8 shots were required. So perhaps mandate a mag change if using the dump and load technique? I do remember that the single load method won last year, but not many shooters were using the mag speed load technique...

One thing that was done at RMAC that needs to be looked at is the practice of removing, tapping on the bench, then re-inserting the magazine if the shooter only had one magazine and was shooting a gun that had a magazine capacity in excess of 8. The rest of us that had two (or more) mags had to remove our magazine, and insert another. For those with high capacity magazines, they could state they "only" had one mag, so all they had to do was remove it, tap it on the bench and re-insert it. Which obviously is much faster than loading another magazine... And lets face it, if you can afford a $2500 Impact with a $1500 Nightforce scope, you probably can afford (and have) more than one magazine... Perhaps requiring two magazines, or you don't shoot? Or at the very least removing the mag and tapping it on the floor would even out the playing field..? But really, who doesn't have two magazines? ;)

They check everyone's equipment before the matches.

I also agree with davecole in some respects. I'd love to see a single load only match as well as a springer only match. The spirit and intent of this event his to test the shooter with their rifle for shooting down targets as quickly as possible. It should be driven solely by the shooters ability rather than the equipment being used. In other words, you shouldn't be able to "buy the win" with specialized equipment. This should hold true for sportsman's, and pro classes. I'm a purist for this event which means, I want to use what comes out of the box to win, nothing more. 

Unlimited is where the equipment should be able to more significantly steer the outcome. That's where the wild inventions should be able to strut their stuff. The creativity of people in that class is what helps drive the manufacturers to invent solutions to problems they didn't even know they had. 

It's been interesting reading what different people have tagged that method as over the years. Perfecting that technique was no small task! I dissected and re-created it over and over. It's funny that you mentioned it as I was just thinking about it on my way home from work today. That method has significant pros and cons. It's fun for me to watch people who are using it because I can almost immediately see areas where they can scratch some time off their runs and I enjoy helping them improve. 

Blindfolds?

HA! Maybe not but, it does make me think of another "side" contest I've been wanting to see someone put on. 

Stick a target at 100 yards, a nice big one like a 12x12 steel plate. Remove the scope and any other sighting devices from the rifle. You only get 2-3 shots... shooting off hand. 

My other idea is a "grudge match". A private lane with a shooting tree where you can call someone out for a head to head shootout. This could also be utilized from a fans perspective where fans can vote-in for a specific head to head match between two shooters. Age, class, experience does not matter. Strictly shooter vs. shooter for the joy of shooting. ;)

My other idea is a "grudge match". A private lane with a shooting tree where you can call someone out for a head to head shootout. This could also be utilized from a fans perspective where fans can vote-in for a specific head to head match between two shooters. Age, class, experience does not matter. Strictly shooter vs. shooter for the joy of shooting. ;)

That's a great idea Tom, have a dueling tree, maybe 4 targets each side at 50 yards, and go mano a mano, limited magazines to 8 pellets so in a close match a reload would be required. I'm sure it would be exciting and get lots of attention...

Will the pump action that Matt used at Pyramyd be allowed at EBR???

FX make very good guns BUT it annoys me that they always try to gain extra advantage by looking for any advantage in the rules. Last year they changed the rules so that only factory mags could be used to stop people using the extra high capacity ones being made for FX Impact by a third party company. Rather than accept this levelling of the playing field FX bought the licence to produce them so it then became a "factory" magazine. The Impacts as used by their sponsored users fitted with extras from FX, Kraford & Lypt, Aeron and shortly Sabre Tactical make them equivalent to a Ferrari when the out of the box Impact is equivalent to a Mustang.

Reactions: Centercut
The magazine's at the PAC were far from factory. The face plates were removable allowing a select few competitors the ability to dump a handful of pellets into the body and shake off the excess. The faceplate was then put back in place and slammed into the gun. Very innovative and well, damn cool. 

As for what's legal and not I again call for those complaining to form a sanctioning body to regulate how these events are run giving a fair and equal opportunity for all involved.

Considering the Impact now comes with a 28 round mag in .25, a cynic might think AoA trying to force FX out of their competition

Or perhaps make it fair for non Impact shooters?

Make it fair? Seems to me that basically calls for some innovation on other airgun manufacturers. I no longer have an Impact, but its obvious to me what's happening.

It's their circus, and of course they can do what they think will increase sales of the Non FX guns they sell. But make no mistake, this feud is not good for the sport, or innovation by the after market creators we seek to encourage. 

Were it not for these innovators we sure wouldnt have the excellent guns, of all makes, that we have today.

I have seen people accuse FX of developing guns specifically to win these competitions because that sells guns. So what?

Perhaps the other gun makers should quit trying to stifle progress and do whatever they need to do to remain competitive as well.

Center,

We must have completely different shooting habits. I cant imagine a scenario where a single large capacity mag isnt better. Better yet, multiple large capacity mags :)

I truly hate reloading mags, and airing up the gun for that matter. The less times I have to do either appeals to me, and is the reason I bought a Crown rather than the Wolverine when I moved away from a Marauder.

When I sit down to shoot I rarely shoot less than a tin. With the Impact I had 6 side shot mags, and once I started tethering I planned on getting more. I have 5 16 round mags for my Crown, which was enough until I had to recharge, but as I'm tethering now I'll buy more.

I was initially going to say that 2 smaller mags might be as good as a large one when hunting, but I remembered that twice I missed a shot because of an empty mag. My fault if course, but wouldnt have happened with my crown, or Impact.

The Wildcat is a little gun that appeals to me alot, save for the small mag. That in itself is the reason I'll probably never own one. I have a little 22 Bantam with a 10 shot mag, and buying another couple mags isnt worth the cost, so even though it's a fine shooter, I'll be selling it. Something I wouldnt do if the mag was bigger which it easily could be.

Everyone is different, it's a wonderful thing we have so many options.

Will the pump action that Matt used at Pyramyd be allowed at EBR???

Probably, I don't see why not. The pump is cool and innovative, but is it really any faster than having the cocking lever on the left so that you can keep your right hand on the grip and trigger? I doubt it... Matt is just that much faster than anyone else, so pump, no pump, he still would have won. And remember, you still have to aim the gun and pull the trigger for each target no matter how fast you cock the gun... And really, compared to professional Steel Challenge shooters like KC Eusebio & Max Michel, are any of us really that fast, even Matt?

https://youtu.be/I077cElJm-8