Special production run 22grain .177cal

A well known pellet manufacture have made this special run of 22grain .177cal solid slugs.
The darker slug to the very left is a 20grain .177cal HP.
ltrLcWPh.jpg

uvOLZBSh.jpg

In time to come a .177cal surpassing the 40-45 ft/ibs from stock isn`t that far away. As Mr. Pelletier once wrote as headline on an artical: " BB you`ve come a long way".

I've been occasionally tinkering with the 20.5 gn NSA's and they have been absolutely brilliant... then not. Just recently saw a discussion with links to a calculator for recommended twist and the 20.5 came in at 1 in 14". LW's are fairly universal at 1 in 17.7 so the stability factor was a 0.95 where we're lookingfor a 1.5.
This longer slug will be worse in that aspect... maybe requring a 1 in 12?
I've mainly had access to LW's and they are the only commercially available poly's that I know of and only 1 in 17.7. TJ's need a LOT of work and you would likely need to have your own mandrel made, so where would you get a barrel for this slug?
I'm interested because in my testing, the 20.5 comes in with a bc of 0.114 and can be pretty amazing at 40+ ft lb.
Bob

Oooh, where can i get some to try. My evanix rainstorm packs a punch with 21g piledrivers and they are hard to find.
I will ask the manufature whether they want their name on this yet. Theese slugs haven`t been tried except for two shots in my Daystate Revere. 645 ft/sec. Will testshoot next week. I have some 4798 slugs.

Reactions: Scotay42
Went to the summerhouse to enjoy "no more handpumping". Bought a 6,8L carbon bottle here the other day. I have never shot so many shots with my Revere in one day. I had time to finetune the gun with ZANs 22grain .177cal. 694 ft/sec or 23,5 ft/Ibs.. After the session I realized I am very happy with just this gun only(so far). Whats not to like?...A gun that can shoot ammo from 8-22grain. accuratly in .177cal?..
At 80metrs I shoot at some dirtpiles consistantly hitting the same spot. I must put up targets to see the grouping.

I've been occasionally tinkering with the 20.5 gn NSA's and they have been absolutely brilliant... then not. Just recently saw a discussion with links to a calculator for recommended twist and the 20.5 came in at 1 in 14". LW's are fairly universal at 1 in 17.7 so the stability factor was a 0.95 where we're lookingfor a 1.5.
This longer slug will be worse in that aspect... maybe requring a 1 in 12?
I've mainly had access to LW's and they are the only commercially available poly's that I know of and only 1 in 17.7. TJ's need a LOT of work and you would likely need to have your own mandrel made, so where would you get a barrel for this slug?
I'm interested because in my testing, the 20.5 comes in with a bc of 0.114 and can be pretty amazing at 40+ ft lb.
Bob
What testing did you do to get a bc of .114? Also I am now bummed that the 1:14 twist barrel I am receiving next week will not work for the heavier slugs. I double checked what you stated with on this wesbsite.

And you are right, you would need atleast a 1:12 barrel to get these projectiles to be truly stable.
What is the altitude from the sea where you are at?

I'm at 3000 ft above sea level.
I will revisit these 20.5 NSA's soon. I have quite a few and they are a hoot.
@Franklink has shown how good the 20 cal 18.9s are and I've shot quite a few lately. They work out to a bc of 0.100 in my DW with standard rifled barrel, so not too far off. They are MUCH easier to drive and I'm hitting pop can bottom or smaller sized stuff very high percentage at 208 yards... the farthest on my range. I don't shoot paper that far so no group pics... just fun plinking.
Bob