• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Speaking of TX200's, piston seal?

If the factory seal fits well and isn't cut up, nah just rock on with it. 

Unfortunately, a lot of times the factory seals are on the smaller/looser side of things and don't seal or last as well as they should. I find this more common in guns without sliding compression tubes (breakbarrels). In that case, a properly custom sized seal can help make up for the varying tolerances on the ID of the compression tubes and will usually be more consistent for longer.

Also if there was a lot of dieseling going in before it was opened, the factory seal can be "cooked" and become a little hardened. 

Aftermarket seals are usually made from a little more durable, but sometimes less conforming material. Air Arms uses a little better seal material IMO than Weihrauch for instance. But Weihrauch has a more efficient shaped seal. 

Seal fit plays a big part in how consistent, efficient, and temp stable a springer can be. It's a simple and cheap thing to get it just right, so I usually fit a new one that I size myself while I have it apart. But again, if yours fits well and you lube it right, let her ride and it will be just fine. You'll know if it needs replaced. 

Thats a good question and a good answer. I always change the factory piston seal out with a spring kit installation. Not due to any solid data that I have been privy to. I honestly change them to an aftermarket seal because the aftermarket seals always appear to be made of better material than the factory ones....to my eye any way. I do keep the OEM seals....... for just in case.

Good explanation thumper.

Over many years of repairing, I have never had an AA seal undersize, have had some very tight though. Not gonna say you wont find some undersize as I am sure they are out there. Have come across many that were cut and sliced from being impatient when installing right from the factory. Another reason for getting inside a springer sooner rather than later. Always have had good sucess with AA's piston seals, never bothered to try any of the aftermarket ones, from the few I have seen and handled, cant say I was impressed. Some folks have difficulty installing them, a trick I have used for many years is to make a small tire "spoon" from a small flat blade screwdriver. I grind a radius on the end and smooth all aharp edges and add a slight bend to the blade, reminds me of tire spoons used to mount tires on and off rims. No sharp edges allowed, I just start one adge of the piston seal and use the spoon on the opposite side to pry the seal over the edge. The rounded spoon does not hurt the seal and if you want, warm the seal in some hot water first to make it more pliable. The spoon works like a charm....

Seal fit plays a big part in how consistent, efficient, and temp stable a springer can be. It's a simple and cheap thing to get it just right, so I usually fit a new one that I size myself while I have it apart. But again, if yours fits well and you lube it right, let her ride and it will be just fine. You'll know if it needs replaced.

Any chance you could share some details or provide a link to show how to properly 'size' a seal? Thanks!

Any chance you could share some details or provide a link to show how to properly 'size' a seal? Thanks!

I think a lot of us would like to know this.