• Much like Google Reviews - members are allowed to create (1) unique thread for each vendor/manufacturer. You may "edit" your thread at any time to reflect any changes.

SPAW - Terrible shipping!

I ordered five tins of 25 cal. pellets from SPAW several days ago. The order was quickly confirmed, shipment initiated, and quickly received. The problem lay in the manner in which the pellet tins were packed. Upon receipt, ALL four corners of the shipping box were compressed inward. When I opened the box I found five tins taped together and surrounded by a 2'X2' piece of bubble wrap. There was a deflated small air pillow in the box; obviously ineffective because it was deflated? Three of the five tins were dented. I opened the three tins and did not find any damaged pellets, but I sure won't expect precise accuracy from this shipment. A competitor ships pellet tins encased in sleeves of styrofoam, and I have never had a damaged pellet tin from that company. A little planning (shipping routine) and care in "making' the pack makes all the difference in the world. My last pellet order from SPAW.

Photos available...

I just received 4 tins of pellets from SPAW, and they arrived perfect, and in two days. Mine were packed the same, which frankly, should be adequate unless the package is grossly mistreated, which it seems was the case for you. So, I don't think I would be too harsh in judging Ken's packing. The styrofoam packing does offer more protection, but it's not fail safe either from mishandling. 

I received 5 tins of FX pellets from SPAW within a couple days from ordering and they were in perfect shape and shipped in the same manner as yours. The outside shipping box was banged up but the content inside where just fine so the packing is adequate. 

I also had pellets come from PA with the styrofoam around them and the tins were dented and the outside of the box was in the same condition. A lot of this does not fall on the shipper but rather the journey to your door. Let’s be honest USPS and UPS are not always the most gentle in package care in transit.

wouldn't lay the damage on SPAW. I didn't see carrier listed. I've received some pretty ROUGH boxes from various suppliers, none of them left their dock in that condition!

By your logic the seller has no liability in making your order safe for transport and all damage is the carrier's fault. If the tins were not even in a box they would be in perfect condition when they leave the dock.

All these guys are saying is that there should be some protection between tins when they are stacked. Every carrier tosses or drops boxes so it's up to the person packing the order to make it safe for shipping. The seller can add whatever it takes to keep the pellets in perfect shape and add it to the cost of the order. It's not like they're having trouble selling them. A package should be able to fall ten feet onto any of it's sides without damaging the contents.

Thanks, heavy-impact, for stating what I should have said in original post. My point is, the shipper does have a responsibility for packing a shipment of material in a manner sufficient to protect the contents within the parcel so that the contents survive a high percentage of all shipments initiated by the seller. We're not talking truck fires here. The parcel with my pellets was essentially half empty - with the cylinder of pellet tins rolling around inside - particularly after the single air bag burst during transit. I think the seller/shipper should anticipate those kinds of events sometimes happening. Just my two cents. And, by the way, I probably will order pellets (and other items) again from SPAW. They seem to be among the few dealers that have pellets in stock.

Hello Richard, Did you contact me prior to this rant? I've checked my emails and have not seen anything about this.. I assure the product was well protected when shipped, but sometimes the carrier can be very cruel to the packages. If you would have reached out to me I would have replaced the damaged tins no problem. If you attempted to contact me and I missed it I apologize.

Ken

Ken. I did not contact you or your company. You had just departed for a competition, and, while some of the tins were damaged, the pellets inside the tins all looked good. The package was sent USPS as I recall, and it was in very bad shape, and the single air pillow had burst, so you had four or five tins of pellets wrapped in light bubble wrap rattling around inside the box. But, if the tins had been encased in foam, as one of your competitors packs pellets, I doubt the tins would have been damaged. I will be needing more pellets in a few weeks, and will give SPAW another try. And, I’d hardly call this a rant. My objective was to objectively report an instance of inadequate packing, and not to malign your obviously fine reputation as a business entity in the airgun industry.

Now, if only the FX Impact Mk 3 would arrive in the US.

Best regards,
Dick Williams Haymarket VA

There is NO package delivery service that I have not had ANY problem with. UPS, USPS, FedX, etc, etc, etc, etc.

So far, at least for me, I have had the best luck with UPS and *lately* the USPS has been pretty good. I gave up on FedX long ago because they delivered a firearm to the wrong address.

You pay your money and take your chances.

I am sure there are folks who have had extremely different experiences from my own. See above... (smile)