Sparrows....feeder question

I use to keep seed bird feeders in the past. Now I simply put out suet cakes and still get an amazing variety of birds visiting and partaking. The starlings find the cakes and my pellets “irresistible“… And as a bonus, the squirrels simply don’t bother with the cakes. Pass throughs? The cake holders are wired mesh. They can take some hits and keep holding the cakes…

I have 1, but it's the upside down kind that starlings are supposed to be to fat and clumsy too make use of
what good is that:ROFLMAO: the whole reason I put cakes out is for the starlings and house sparrows. Its like crack to them. It doesnt matter how many times they watch one get picked off from the group they come back.

Reactions: Scroooface
what good is that:ROFLMAO: the whole reason I put cakes out is for the starlings and house sparrows. Its like crack to them. It doesnt matter how many times they watch one get picked off from the group they come back.
It's a question of numbers....I would need full auto the way they come in.

I had feeders similar to this one.. they weren't glass though.. plastic.. put a back stop behind it.. usually a slight wind will spin the feeder so you have to wait until the right time to take the shot.. adds a little fun to the job.. I went through 5 or 6 of those feeders... Now can't find them cheap enough to risk putting holes in them..

Screenshot_2024-04-11-11-11-55-538.jpg

So far a squirrel is the only thing to be a potential target at some point. He wasn't able to figure out how to get a meal and left fairly quick. The feeder has a slide lock that keeps the top secure, and isn't stable enough for them to hang on well. Lots of nice native birds coming by though. Chickadees, cardinals, red wing blackbirds, finches and more. Starlings have been in the front yard, but not near the feeders out back so far. Woodpeckers are the only 1s using the suet feeder so far.
1000001967.jpg

177 is plenty big for sparrows, I think the 22 is over kill on sparrows, But I have shot a few with my 30 caliber to see what it would do,, Sparrows do not die any faster with a 30 caliber pellet or slug!!! The 177 does make the best POP, The wadcutter is the king of sparrow pops , Trust me I have my PHD in sparrow kills.
Mike

177 is plenty big for sparrows, I think the 22 is over kill on sparrows, But I have shot a few with my 30 caliber to see what it would do,, Sparrows do not die any faster with a 30 caliber pellet or slug!!! The 177 does make the best POP, The wadcutter is the king of sparrow pops , Trust me I have my PHD in sparrow kills.
Mike
I was thinking .22, and going a bit slower...should be like getting hit with a brick... a really accurate brick,lol

Mike

So don't pull out the .25? lol

Mike
Idk, a 22 grain Hybrid HP slug at 950 fps makes a pretty loud POP on a house sparrow! Its so loud that I can't do it in my backyard because of my neighbors across the road. It literally sounds like a .22 short going off.